Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

89th Infantry Division- 314th Engineer Combat Battalion Roster Question

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by Ryan McGrantham, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Ryan McGrantham

Ryan McGrantham New Member

I am wondering if anyone who has the 89th Infantry Division's WWII history book can tell me if they see a Matthew Cendoma listed on the roster for the 314th Combat Engineer Batallion?

I believe that this person served in this regiment but am not 100% sure. I have been told that he was a demolitions expert and was present at Ohrdruf. I also know that he first served overseas in or about January or February 1945. The exact date escapes me, but it is the date that the 89th Infantry Division arrived in France.

Thanks,

Ryan

William McCue likes this.
  2. Ryan McGrantham

FYI to anyone else interested in this division that I have purchased the book. It does have this person under Company B.

If anyone else needs a roster check for any of the regiments in the 89th division, please let me know and I will be happy to confirm. This is one of the few infantry division history books I have seen that has a roster for the full division and not just a KIA/WIA or limited roster list.

3. Lisa Mancini

Lisa Mancini New Member

Hi Ryan, I am interested in purchasing this book but I'm not sure where to find it. Would like to know if my grandfather is on the roster. His name is Robert Braglio. Thanks for any help you can give me!

4. Ryan McGrantham

Hi Lisa,

Just had a look an your grandfather was indeed in the 314th Combat Engineer Battalion. He was in Company A with the rank of Corporal.

Best regards,

Ryan

5. Lisa Mancini

Lisa Mancini New Member

HI Ryan . . . thank you so much! Could you tell me how you were able to purchase the book? I've found one copy in a library about an hour from my house, but I would love to have my own copy of it.

6. Ryan McGrantham

Hi Lisa,

No problem at all! Unfortunately, the book is not easy to come across and is long out of print. I believe each veteran received a copy of it (or may have at least been “offered” a copy) but not sure how many others were printed. I found my copy on eBay a few months ago. I probably overpaid for mine a bit (I bought it for about $100). I also have a great grandfather who was in a different regiment and I bought his division’s book for $50 on eBay. The range generally seems to be from around $50-$120 depending on the seller and the condition of the book.

I just had a look on eBay and do not see any currently listed unfortunately but would say to check back every now and again as they do turn up from time to time.

Good luck and I think once you do get a copy, you will find it a very interesting read.

Ryan

7. KRSB

KRSB New Member

Hi Ryan,
    If you still have your book on the 314th Combat Engineers, would you please check it for the following names: Elmer E Beebe, Verlin Epley, Charlie Garrett, Chick Hargrove, Frank W Kowalski, John M Prater, Joe Restivo, John Reynolds, Harry J Spaulding, Clayton A Treadaway, Wayne R Whiting.
    Thank you!
    Karen

8. Tipnring

Tipnring Active Member

9. William McCue

William McCue New Member

I also had a father in the 314th and wanted to know how to get a copy of the history. Prior to my father passing, I searched for anything related about 20 years ago. It was very limited. Any help or insight would be appreciated.

10. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Have you contacted NARA in St Louis about getting copies of the Morning Reports for the 314th?

11. firstf1abn

firstf1abn Member

Looks like a recent reprint-on-demand edition available here:

BookFinder.com: Search Results

Sometimes these reprints reproduce photos poorly, but this one is about 1/5th the price of an original, so perhaps worth the risk.