Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

980th FA Bn / SS soldier photos found

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by 980th, Mar 15, 2010.

1. 980th

980th Member

The Battle of The Hurtgen Forrest began on 16th of November 1944. This battle is where we are at in the 980th's history.

Pg.32
    Counter flak missions were fired by the bn from 1155A to 1215A with neutralization being maintained from 1245A to 1255A and again at 1335A. At 1445A the bn CP and adjacent areas were subjected to enemy time fire but there were no casualties. At 1230A enemy aircraft were over btry "B" and "C" areas dropping anti-personnel bombs and strafing. Slight damage to vehicles was caused in btry "C"

Early in the morning of 19th November 1944 approximately 50 rounds of light caliber artillery shell fire fell in an area about 600 yards to the rear of btry "A", starting a fire in some powder charges of another unit. From 0600A 18 November 1944 to 0600A 19 November 1944 the bn expended 816 rounds in support of bombing missions and the infantry attack. The bn had two successful Arty/R missions. The first target was an enemy btry in the open, the corr. of which were transmitted to the pilot. The bn was adjusted on the target by the pilot who reported the fire to be very effective with the area well covered. On this mission only 11 minutes elapsed between the firing of the first round and receipt at the fire direction center of the pilot's report on the effectiveness of the second fire for effect. Following the first mission the pilot picked up an emplaced enemy btry and again adjusted the bn. Upon completion of the mission the adjusted coor. were sent to the 751st FA Bn (155mm How) and the 195th FA Bn (8" How) who joined the bn in repeating fire for effect. The pilot reported four direct hits on the emplacement. These missions were reported in the Field Artillery Periodic Report No. 154, VII Corps dated 20 November 1944.

From 0600A 19 November to 0600A 20 November the bn expended 909 rounds, the record 24 hour expenditure of ammunition since the Bn's entry in combat. At 1320A 20 November 1944, Btry "B" adjusted by an air OP, on an enemy btry at a range of 26,213 yards with effect reported as excellent.

On the morning of the 21st the bn S-4 notified the gun btrys that when using time fuze with smoke shell, to use fuze M67 with unmodified booster.

Early in the morning of 22nd November 1944, the bn received a warning of hostile activity in gun positions of neighboring artillery units and all btrys were notified to report any suspicious activity to the bn.

On the 23rd, the no 3 gun of btry "B" was out of action at 0705A with low nitrogen pressure in one equilibrator. For Thanksgiving dinner, roast turkey was served and plenty of it. The menu included roast turkey, sage dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, cranberry sauce, peas and carrots, bread, butter, coffee, beer and hard candy.

142nd FA Gr displaced to a new CP at Coor. K943422 at 100A the 24th and the bn went under direct control of VII corps artillery. Telephone communications were established by corps artillery at 1100A. Corps artillery requested that a report be telephoned in immediately after 1200A each day covering the number and type of missions fired and the rounds expended for the preceeding 24 hour period. At 1201A the no 2 gun of btry "B" was back in action.

2. ISUnorth

ISUnorth Member

This part of the history reminded me of a picture my dad had from Europe. I haven't gotten to scanning the combat pictures yet in my 980th thread but thought this one fits the story line here! And, no, I don't know the story of this photo but we can probably guess.

View attachment 17691

Attached Files:

3. ISUnorth

ISUnorth Member

I have the 144th insignia in my father memorabilia box. I was also I little confused when I found drink glasses in his trunk that said 144th when he was in the 980th but later figured the 144th was split into the 980th and 981st. The picture below is a large formation shot of the 144th before it was split into the two battalions. This is a very cool picture and I am going to get it professionally scanned (I have another original print of it but it's 16x20). The picture was taken by the Fort Lewis Sentinel. I can’t find info on that paper, am assuming it is defunct.

Fort Lewis 144th
    View attachment 17692

Attached Files:

4. 980th

980th Member

MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map Google map link to Mausbach. This is where the 980th was during this part of it's history.

Pg. 33
    The bn reconnaissance parties went forward on the afternoon of the 25th to look for positions in the vicinity of Mausbach. Btry "A" was to occupy positions southeast of Mausbach and btry "B" and "C" to the south of Mausbach.

The bn was given close station march order at 0800A the next morning 26 november 1944 and btry "B" left its old position at Breinig at 1030A, btry "A" at 1100A and btry "C" at 1130A. The bn closed in its new position near Mausbach, coor. K971409 at 1245A. The bn reverted to control of 142nd FA Gr upon occupation fo position at Mausbach.

Between 0406A and 0414A the next morning the 27th, six heavy caliber shells landed near the bn CP. The only casualty was the "Cadet Bag" of Captain Elmer McGraw the bn Surgeon which was pierced by a shell fragment.

On the 28th the powder lot which had been reserved for calibration was released by the bn S-3 for firing.

At 1123A, 29 November 1944, the no 2 gun of btry "A" was out of action with a faulty equilibrator.

At 0915A, 30 November 1944 btry "A", 440th AAA was relieved from attachment to the 980th FA Bn as AA security and btry "A" 438th AAA commanded by Captain Snyder joined the bn. Several rounds of heavy caliber artillery time shells burst in the vicinity of the bn CP between 1630A and 1800A.

By 0600A 1 December 1944 the bn had fired 33,716 rounds of ammunition in combat. At 0840A the no 2 gun of btry "A" was out of action for several hours with equlibrator trouble. At 1220A enemy aircraft were over the area, apparently on a reconnaissance mission. The planes were fired on by the surrounding AA units. At 1630A, the bn was ordered to occupy an OP at coor. wf039429. This was a tower OP that had been constructed by the Engineers. MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map

On 2 December 1944, about 40 percent of the bn attended a USO show in Stolberg featuring Marlene Dietrich. The show was greatly enjoyed by the personnel of the bn. At 1400A, 1st Lt. Max E. YOung was decorated with the second Bronze Oak Leaf Cluster to the Air Medal by the Commanding General, VII Corps. S/Sgt Kirchner of Btry "B" was also decorated at the same time with the Air Medal. The ceremony took place at the VII Corps forward Headquarters. From 1405A to 1440A enemy aircraft over the bn area were fired on by the adjacent AA units. At 1715A btry "A" was bombed by a single enemy plane using fragmentation bombs. Pfc Harvey J. Clefisch was killed and five men were wounded. One of the wounded, Pfc Falcon was evacuated to the hospital and the other four were treated at the bn aid station and returned to duty. The four men, Pfc Snow and Riciardi and Privates Giambattista and Buso were decorated by the bn commander with the Order of the Purple Heart.

Orders were also received the same day from VII Corps awarding the Bronze Star Medal to Tec 4 John W. Chec, Tec 5 Lloyd O. Myers and Tec 5 Howard G. McGuire all of Headquarters btry, 980th FA Bn.

At 1200A 4 December 1944 the Bn was detached from 142nd FA Gr and attached to the 188th FA Gr. The Bn however was to continue firing for the 142nd FA Gr until 1800A.

5. 980th

980th Member

6. 980th

980th Member

Pg. 34
    During the afternoon of the 4th the bn was visited by Lt. Colonel Culehan, Assistant Inspector Gen, VII Corps. Lt Col Culehan was inquiring into the matter of unequal officer-Enlisted Men relations, such as officers getting the pick of the rations for their mess; officers living in buildings while the men slept in pup tents or wether the officers were getting more passes than the men. Lt. Col Culehan report for this bn was satisfactory. At 1615A enemy planes were over the area and were fired upon by the adjacent AA units.

By the 6th, the gun tubes had been worn to such an extent that a few of the guns were beginning to throw rotating bands, particularly gun no 1721 of btry "B".

On 8 December 1944 the bn comm, Lt. Col. Welch made an inspection of the bn OP's and a reconnaissance for more observation. He was strafed once by enemy aircraft. The bn began experimenting with a T1 Flash Reducer. The Flash Reducer consisted of two strips of red cotton cloth fitted with silk tie strings for tying the reducer to the powder charge. (sounds like good old fashion Army rigging if you ask me.) The cotton strips were divided into three channels filled with Potassium Sulphate and black powder. The Flash Reducer was also supposed to increase the muzzle velocity slightly. After firing several rounds the following data was obtained: On the first round from the gun, the reducer was not effective, the second was partially effective and from the third round on the muzzle flash was reduced about 95%, both in daylight and darkness. At the same time the muzzle blast was reduced correspondingly. The use of the reducer produced excessive amounts of a white smoke which tended to disclose the position area during daylight hours. When using supercharge, the muzzle velocity was increased slightly, but decreased when using normal charge. The effect of the reducer on the range was so extremely erratic that it was impossible to be sure where the rounds would land. The speed of the recoil was also increased which resulted in a much greater shock to the recoil mechanism and caused the gun to buck violently. The bn Commander recommended that the T1 Flash Reducer not be used because of the extreme range error. At 2130A btry "A" was subjected to 19 rounds of 170mm artillery fire. Most of the rounds were air or tree bursts. However, four rounds burst on impact within 15 to 20 feet of the no 1 gun. There were no casualties or damage to materiel.
    [​IMG]
    At 0745A 10 December 1944 the VII Corps made an attack on the entire corps front. The bn supported the attack by firing counter-battery missions and concentrations on towns from H Hour minus 36 minutes to H Hour plus 42 minutes. At 0940A no 2 gun of btry "C" was temporarily out of action due to an equilibrator leaking nitrogen. No. 4 gun of btry "B" went out of action at 1622A, because of an obtruator spindle bushing burning out. At 1725A, some 28 enemy planes over the bn area were fired at by the attached AA unit. No 4 gun of btry "B" was repared by ordnance and back in action at 1800A. On the afternoon of 10 December 1944 a school of fire was established by the bn Executive Officer, Major Richard R. Watson, for the purpose of instructing the new officers, that had been commissioned by battlefield commissions, in the methods of precision fire. The school was also a refresher course for the older officer of the bn.

During the night of 10-11 December 1944, one of the Bn. Liaison airplanes no 4330116, was torn loose from its moorings by a high wind and thrown over on its back, completely demolishing the plane. Investigation disclosed that the mooring stakes were torn loose from the anchors by the force of the wind.

7. 980th

980th Member

[​IMG]
    LST-325 stranded at low tide during the Normandy invasion, 12 June 1944.

8. 980th

980th Member

Pg. 35
    At 0840A 11 December 1944 the No 3 gun of btry "C" was temporarily out of action with a faulty equilibrator. At 2355A a robot bomb passed over the bn area at an elevation of 2300 feet, travelling in a northwesterly direction.

On the 13th the bn received authorization from First US Army to increase the basic load of the bn by 60 rounds as long as the bn was equipped with the three M-4 tractors. This addition brought the authorized basic load to 1308 rounds.

On the afternoon of the 13th, Brigadier General Palmer, Commander VII Corps Artillery visited the Bn for 20 minutes, speaking to the bn staff and btry commanders.

On the morning of the 14th, the bn fired preparations and counter-battery missions in support of the Infantry attack at 0715A. The bn commander and Executive Officer made a reconnaissance to the north and east of the bn for possible future occupation.

By 0600A the next day the 15th the bn had fired 40,027 rounds in combat. Bhe bn commander attended a demonstration of a new type artillery fuze in Holland. This new type of fuze was designated primarily for howitzers so this bn did not have the use for it.

Gun No 2042 of btry "C" threw a rotating band the morning of the 16th and gun no 1143 of btry "A" threw a rotating band in the afternoon. At 2010A enemy aircraft over the area were fired on by the 90mm AA units.

(The German offensive kicked off on December 16th, 1944)

At 0050A 17 December 1944 enemy aircraft over the area were again fired on by adjacent 90mm AA units. At 0540A the bn received word that at 0330A 90 transport planes were heading west 25 miles south of Aachen and at the same time 25 JU 88"s were flying towards Aachen, also 90 other unidentified planes seemed to be regrouping over the VII Corps area.

9. 980th

980th Member

Pg. 35 Cont.

The 188th FA Bn reported approximately 15 paratroopers landing in and near their area. The 104th Inf Div. sent inf. patrols to investigate. The attached AA unit report that the British had intercepted a German radio message stating that German paratroopers would be dropped near Aachen at 0530A. One bomb, apparantly a delayed fuze type, exploded near the no 2 piece of btry "A" at 0525A, causing four casualties. Three of the wounded, Corp. Johnson, Priv Lessard and Priv Martin were evacuated to the hospital while Priv Bassuck was treated at the Bn Aid Station and returned to duty. He was decorated with the Order of the Purple Heart by the Bn Commander. At 1030A gun no 1751 of Btry "B" threw another rotating band. At 1145A a "dog fight" took place over the Bn area with a large number of planes taking part. At 1900A the Bn established road blocks in the three gun btry areas. The 438th AAA reported that 10 paratroopers were dropped at Astenrath at 2130A. At 2236A, 24 hostile aircraft were reported east of Stolberg.

At 0025A 18 December 1944, 20 to 50 white flares were reported being dropped south of btry "C" area. Btry "B" reported anti-personnel bombs to their left rear and btry "A" reported anti-personnel bombs to their left front. At 1030A enemy aircraft over the area were fired at by 90mm AA units.

10. 980th

980th Member

[​IMG]

11. Natman

Natman Member

The Ardennes map gives a great overview, I like that it shows many of the well known locations associated with the battle. My Dad was at Saarlautern, attached to the 95th, during this period. They moved to the Houffalize area late January. Is this part of the 980th history or did you find it somewhere else?

12. Earthican

Earthican Member

Anyone that has studied the BotB knows what this is about. An interesting foreshadow of things to come, almost reads like a novel.

13. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Not to butt into the conversation, but I did track down that map (among many others) on the West Point website. Here's the page where I found the map (#73). Needless to day, I have a new addition to my bookmarks. :cool:

West Point maps: Europe ; Pacific

Earthican and Natman like this.
  14. 980th

980th Member

I found this picture on another website. It wasn't part of the 980th history. I just wanted to add a map. I went to the West Point web site and that is where I will go for future maps. Thanks TDD-Tommy776

15. 980th

980th Member

[​IMG]
    (This part of the 980th history Dec. 18th-22nd Working with 2nd bn of the 290th Inf. The 290th Infantry left the assembly area on the 19th of December, traveling for two days in bitter weather across northern France and a part of Belgium by motor convoy and box car, utilizing the same 40-and-8 cars that had been the scourge of doughboys in World War I.
    Troops arrived in
    Hasselt, Belgium, on the 20th of December and immediately set about the task of establishing a Command Post. Though the advance unit was some twenty miles from front line warfare, the site of the CP proved to be directly beneath the aerial path followed by buzz bombs venting their destructive force upon the port of Antwerp. The eerie path traced by the jet propelled monsters across a fog-laden sky gave many an otherwise brave man a peculiar feeling of helplessness. Every quarter hour a flying bomb lumbered across the sky, identified by a sound not unlike that of a heavily-laden truck laboring up a steep incline and when an occasional robot seemed to be nearing the end of its fuel supply, soldiers hearts skipped a beat in tune with the laboring engine until the lethal sky rider had passed on.)75th Infantry Division - 290th Regiment Combat Diary

Pg. 36
    At 0400A one Ju 88 was shot down in flames and crashed approximately one mile south of btry "C" area. The pilot though badly burned, parachuted to safety and was captured by men of the 90mm AA unit in position to the rear of btry "C". Btry "A" 438 AAA also captured an enemy pilot who had been shot down during the night. Approximately 15 enemy aircraft were over the area at 0905A. Enemy aircraft were over the area again at 0955A, 1004A and 1020A. Personnel of the bn Air Section captured two German paratroopers near the bn Air Strip at 1000A. During the afternoon the bn commander and btry commanders parties made a reconnaissance for occupation of position one mile north of Heistern.

At 1125A, 19 December 1944, the bn commander left the area with complete reconnaissance parties to reconnoiter for positions south of Rotgen in the V Crops sector. An enemy plane over the area at 1345A was shot down by adjacent 90mm AA units. At 1525A, the bn Executive Officer reported to the VII Corps Security Officer to receive plans for the formation of a provisional Task Force to be used as a corps reserve in case of emergencies. The Bn Commander and his reconnaissance parties returned to the bn area at 1530A. At 1920A, personnel of btry "B" halted a quarter ton C&R car approaching a road block. After the second command to halt was given to the occupants, the vehicle was brought to a stop and one of the occupants fired two shots at the sentries and the vehicle was immediately turned around and driven off in the opposite direction. The back-up guard fired two rounds from his carbine without visible results. It was impossible to use the .50 caliber machine gun covering the road block because of lack of visibility.

By 0800A 20 December 1944 the bn had formed a Provisional Task Force consisting of a Task Force Headquarters and Three Task Force Companies for use as a mobile reserve for the VII Corps. The force was set up with the bn commander, Lt. Colonel Welch as Task Force Commander and the Three gun btry commanders as company commanders. At 0820A the reconnaissance parties left to make a reconnaissance for positions north and west of Rotgen, but returned to the bn area at 1030A when it was learned that the contemplated move had been cancelled.

The bn commander left the area at 0800A 21 December with complete reconnaissance parties to reconnoiter for positions in an area approximately six miles north of Marche, Belgiums. Until the arrival of the bn the reconnaissance parties were the only American troops opposing the German lines along the L'Ourthe River from the towns of Noiseux, Grand Emneille to Petite Enneille. At 0840A the bn received the orders to cease firing and to place the guns on hard standing. Movement orders were received from VII Corps at 1200A. At 1630A, the bn left the area to begin its 89 mile counter-march to the vicinity of Noiseux, Belgium in support to the VII Corps counter-attack against the German break-through. The bn marched from its position at Mausbach, through Stolberg, Aachen, Eupen, and Liege clearing there at 2300A. From there the bn turned south passing near Emptinne (coor. P1495) and arriving at Marche, Belgium at 0700A 22 December 1944 and went into temporary rendezvous at 0740A on the highway two miles north of Marche. At 1145A the bn went into a bivouac position north of Noiseux, Coor. P3291. The bn established a position defense with a perimeter guard, coordinating with the 2nd Bn, 290th Infantry. On arrival into the area the bn received orders to maintain radio silence.

16. 980th

980th Member

[​IMG]

17. 980th

980th Member

Pg. 37
    At 2020A the bn received orders to occupy positions in the near vicinity with an Azimuth of fire of 3400 mils. The Bn made a night reconnaissance night survey and night occupation of position; this was the first night survey for the bn since its entry into combat. By 0150A 23 December 1944, the bn was layed and ready to fire. the Bn Cp was established in the town of Grande Enneille, Coor. P321934. (on the previous map the location is between Ciney and Durbuy) At 0930A orders were received from the Commanding General, VII Corps Artillery that the bn would neither register nor fire except in an embergency. The mission of the bn was to hold at all costs. There would be no withdrawal. A limitation of Air OP's was established allowing only one air op in the air at a time from the Corps artillery. The bn ex. Officer investigated a rumor that the enemy was forcing a river crossing near the bn area. Investigation revealed that a belgium civilian had been shot while crossing the river in the company of four other civilians. It was impossible to determine from whence the shot had come. At 2340A the Bn shifted two guns to a compass of 2300 mils to hankle missions on the left flank of the Bn. The guns shifted were Btry "C" no 3 and Btry "B" no 4.

On the morning of the 24th the bn established an op south of Marche on an Infantry OPIR. At 1230A a P38 was shot down over the bn area by an enemy jet propelled plane. The P38 crashed to the rear of btry "C" area, setting the CP of the Attached AA unit on fire. A FW 190 flew down to strafe the area of the crash and was shot down by an American P51. The FW190 crashed approximately one and one-half miles from the bn area. The remaining three guns of btry "C" were shifted to a center of field of fire, 2300 mils and the no 4 gun of btry "B" shifted back to Azimuth 3400 mils. Btry "A" was moved to the flank on an Azimuth of fire of 3400 mils so that the dangerously crowded conditions of the bn area could be relieved.

Turkey was served for dinner the next day, Christmas, and most of the btrys invited a few Belgium children to dinner in true American spirit. At 1430A Btry "C" was shifted back to a compass of 3200 mils. guns no 1243 threw several rotating bands during the afternoon and evening. Four P38's bombed and strafed an area 1000 yards northwest of the bn CP. It was apparently identification of target. At 1635A the bn was warned to be on the watch for a Major Davis claiming to be from the XVIII Corps and advising civilians to evacuate the area.

During the 24 hour period from 0600 25 December 1944 to 0600A 26 December 1944 the bn fired 1034 rounds of ammunition; the record expenditure for the bn during any similar period. The bn fired so much ammunition for supporting fires and counter-attack missions that the normal fifth section ammunition train could not resupply the bn fast enough. A second ammunition train of six 7 1/2 ton gun trucks was formed and used. A third train of seven 2 1/2 ton trucks and one ton trailers was also formed and used to haul ammunition. Three of the 2 1/2 ton trucks were borrowed from the attached AA btry. At 2010A the bn was warned to expect enemy bombers in support of the 116th Panzer Division from 2100A to 0100A 27 December 1944. Authority was given the bn to fire on an L4 airplane flying over the bn area during the hours of darkness. This plane was captured plane being used by the enemy. At 2155A an enemy airplane dropped four HE bombs to the left rear of btry "B" and was fired on by the adjacent AA units.

18. 980th

980th Member

Pg 38
    The 84th Div reported that an American 1/4 ton vehicle was operating in the area with five German soldiers in it. VII Corps reported that an American 2 1/2 Ton GMC loaded full of enemy soldiers had been spotted in the towns of Maffe and Failon.

On the 27th the bn furnished a 3/4 ton weapons carrier to carry the body of a Belgium civilian, that had been killed at the river crossing, to the graveyard. T/Sgt Heath of Headquarters btry was in charge of the vehicle and acted as guard of honor during the funeral ceremony. At 1735A the road blocks were warned to be on the lookout for a 2 1/2 ton vehicle stolen from the 116th AAA bn. Two paratroopers were reported descending in the vicinity of P1890 at 2313A flashing red and green signals during the descent. No airplane had been shot down at that time. The 84th Div Artillery reported that two paratroopers were also dropped in the vicinity of P230950 sometime before midnight.

The 84th Div Artillery observers reported that the bn had knocked out and set on fire three enemy tanks with concentration no 247 fored at 0135A 28 December 1944. Colonel Jones, 84th Div Artillery reported that the enemy infantry attack had been stopped.

A "flying bomb" landed between btrys "A" and "B" coor P38149434 at 1545A on the 29th. The rater was nine feet deep and 33 feet in diameter. Parts and fragments were sent to hight headquarters. There was no damage nor casualties. A 3/4 ton C&R car of btry "C" skidded on an icy road and went over a seven foot embankment killing Tec 5 James Peterson and injuring Tec 5 Musick and Pfc Humphrey all of btry "C". All btrys reported guns throwing an occasional rotating band.

General Palmer, Corps Artillery Officer visited the bn at noon for about 15 minutes. He expressed regret at not being able to have visited the bn on Christmas day but wished the bn a Happy New Year and good shooting. He remarked that the bn was the best damned artillery unit that he had ever been around. Guns no 2086, 1108 and 1143 each threw a rotating band during the afternoon.

A British "Spitfire" airplane strafed near the road block of btry "A" at 1015 31 December 1944. Corporal Edward Davis, Btry "B" Agent was wounded by shell fragments from the plane's 20mm guns. At 2215A the bn commander was notified to meet the group commander at 0900A the next morning, prepared to go on a reconnaissance. As a New Years Greeting to the Germans, the Bn fired trhee volleys, at 2400A, on a selected target, along with other Field artillery bns of the VII Corps.

The bn fired at totla of 45,986 rounds of ammunition in combat during the year of 1944. The present tubes have been worn to such an extent that they have thrown a total of 20 rotating bands to date.

19. 980th

980th Member

[​IMG]War Prints
    This is a sketch that someone did of the Noiseux Bridge. The next part of the 980th history is around this bridge.

20. 980th

980th Member

Pg. 29
    At 0001A 1 January 1945 the bn was in position at Noiseux, Belgium, coor. P321934. The bn was attatched to the 188th FA Gr and in support of the VII Corps counter attack against the german thrust into Belgium through the Ardennes.

An enemy plane over the area at 0425A was fired upon by an adjacent AA Unit. At 0845A, the bn commander left on reconnaissance with complete parties. At 0935A, the bn received close station march order and the bn executive officer reported to the Gr Command Post to receive the march time and route. The IP time was to be 1400A and the IP was the Noiseux Bridge. The march number was J-5. The bn left the area at 1400A and reached the release point at 1610A. The bn closed in position south of Fanzel, coor P448918, at 1640A, the btry "B" was laid and ready to fire at 1730A. Btry "C" was unable to occupy a position within the bn area and went into bivouac for the night pending assignment of a new area by VII Corps. Artillery.

Btry"C" occupied position outside of the bn area early the next morning. The bn was refused permission to register and remained silent throughout the day. The bn received an additional allowance of 8 gasoline beadons per prime mover over and above the T/O and E, from First US Army.

During the morning of the 3rd, the bn supported the attack of the 2nd Armored div, without registration After the preparation for the attack had been fired the bn received permission to register. After registering the following data was found to be: btry "B"- the initial elevation and adjusted elevation were identical. The deflection was 20 yards right of the target. Btry "A", the initial round was 20 yards to the right of the target and 50 yards beyond it. Btry "C", the initial round was 20 yards left of the target and 50 yards beyond. During the afternoon, gun no 1108 threw two rotating bands and gun no 1194 threw one.

At 2230A 4 January 1945, a "Flying Bomb" passed over the bn area at a very low altitude, travelling West.

The bn continued to support the attack of the 2nd Armored div. on the 5th. Several guns of the bn threw rotating bands during the day.

During the forenoon of the 6th, the bn fired several missions in support of the 2nd armored div attack. Two B-26 bomber crews visited the bn on a Ground Force Orientation course. The gun crews of the bn explained the workings of guns to the bomber crews and a bn volley was fired with the visitors in the gun pits.