Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

99thID collection

Discussion in 'Collections' started by 99thid, Aug 28, 2013.

1. 99thid

99thid New Member

Hi all,

I have started collecting while I was 8 years old. One of my uncles had to do forced labour in Germany and when he escaped after the firs bombing of Dresden he stole some German boots to walk on... he had some bits and pieces and so I got hooked. After hanging out in the library reading about everything related to the war I got in touch with a guy via my history teacher who gave me a HJ dagger.. and from there the collecting virus took over my life :).

I have shifted direction many times and bought and sold many items as well... I came to a point were I wanted to focus more on one subject which became the 99th Infantry Division.

Here is a quick look into my "warroom", thanks to my lovely wife who allowed me to use the entire attic, I managed to display the main part of my collection.
    Hope you like it, it is not as big as many beautiful collections around but when I sit in my room and look around I can see history everywhere. :S!

Attached Files:

pistol likes this.
  2. 99thid

99thid New Member

Here some more items and also related to the 99th Infantry Division. I have more pictures. letters etc... which will appear on my website

http://www.99thinfantrydivision.com

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

Eric

pistol and Slipdigit like this.
  3. Ruud

Ruud Member

Very nice collection, Eric !

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Wonderful collection. I like he Fliegblouse a lot and I'm also quite impressed by the Dutch NSB victory sign (the "V" in orange)

5. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Well done. Kudos.

6. 99thid

99thid New Member

Thank you all for the nice replies. I have many more items, at one point i will make new pictures.

7. pistol

pistol Member

99thid - In October next I will be visiting the 99th Div area in the Ardennes: International Highway & Elsenborn Ridge. I will put some pictures on this site.

Please let me know if you wish me to make pictures of any particular places in that area.

8. 99thid

99thid New Member

Hi pistol,

That would be great!! Maybe some of the monuments and foxholes?

Eric

9. pistol

pistol Member

Eric - Any particular spots? For example I will visit Losheimergraben, scene of the stand of the 1st Bn, 394th Infantry, and Dreiherrnwald, where 3rd, 393rd Infantry was isolated by the 277 VG Division.

10. 99thid

99thid New Member

The Dreiherrnwald positions of the 393rd would be great to have pictures but also Losheimer area would be great.
    I would like to use them for an article on the website.
    Eric

11. pistol

pistol Member

Will do my best!

Just a teaser: the custom houses at Losheimergraben. The site of the last stand of the 1st Bn, 394th Infantry. Looking down the main road to the east from the crossroads. The assault guns of KG Holz & the infantry of the Grendier Regt 48 (12. VGD) moved up the road and through the woods to the left to eleminate the last American resistance in late afternoon of Dec 17th, 1944. The high wooded hill in the center background was occupied by 'B' Coy. To the right of the hill the ground is descending toward the village Losheim, located beyond the railway line. Losheim was occupied by the Germans at the start of the Ardennes Offensive.

The low area just behind the houses is the source of the Our river, which further downstream forms the border-river for quite some distance between Germany and Luxembourg.

View attachment 19490

I posted some other pictures of 99th Div Ardennes here: http://www.ww2f.com/topic/49646-tsgt-vernon-mcgarity-medal-of-honor/#entry553173

Attached Files:

12. Earthican

Earthican Member