Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

A 24 Hour War Movies marathon heads up. TCM does the Korean War on: June 24th.

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by C.Evans, Jun 3, 2010.

1. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Just thought I would mention it that TCM will be saluting those who served in the Korean War by having a 24 hour Korean War, War Movies Marathon. One I know they will be showing is a Sam Fuller classic called: The Steel Helmet-which stars a Fuller staple-his favorite Actor and no relation to me, I think? Gene Evans.

Im hoping TCM chose their movies carefully and hope they will be shoowing movies like: Target Zero-w/ Richard Conte as Lt. Flagler, Charles Bronson in one of his earliest roles, Chuck Connors as the Easy Company patrols Radioman, L.Q.Jones-as the Soldier with the sore feet-and Peggy Castle-as the American volunteer whom they rescued.

Others im hoping they will play are: The Glory Brigade, The Hunters, The Bridges At Toko-Ri, Men of the Fighting Lady, A Hill in Korea (yeah, I know, this one aint really an "Merican" Korean War movie but still a great one) but another one I hpe they will be showing and the one I want the most is: Prisoner of War w/ Ronald Wilson Reagan, Steve Forrest, and Dewey Martin.

formerjughead and A-58 like this.
  2. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

Are there enough Korean War movies to fill 24 hrs? The only other ones I can add to your list would be M*A*S*H and The Manchurian Candidate. Whats the one with Rock Hudson in an F/P 51 squadron? Then there's The McConnel Story and Strategic Air Command with Jimmy Stewart.

3. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Thanks for the heads-up Carl. I'll tell my dad to be sure to tune in. He's a Korean War vet.

Hey Brad, there are probably enough movies to fill up a 24 hour format. Well, if you run it twice maybe....

Here's a few more;

"Take the High Ground!"
    "Retreat, Hell"
    "The Bamboo Prison"
    "Time Limit" (a court-martial theme, set after the Korean War)
    "The Reluctant Heroes"

That's about all I can think of now.

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thank you Gents as well. There are quite a few Korean War movies I can think of like: Time Limit w/ Richards Widmark & Basehart, Delores Michaels, Rip Torn and Carl-Benton Reid, Fixed Bayonets w/ Richard Basehart, Gene Evans, Skip Homeier and I forget whom else? This is another Sam Fuller classic. All the Young Men w/ Alan Ladd, and I think a very young Burt Reynolds.

The Hunters has: Robert Mitchum, Richard Egan and Robert Wagner. This has Mitchum vs Wagner as Squadron mates who rack up high tally kills flying the F-86 Sabre jets zapping Migs.

Battle Circus w/ Humphrey Bogart as a Doctor with a M*A*S*H unit.

Pork Chop Hill (of course) w/ Gregory Peck, Woodrow Strode, Gavin McLeod, Harry Guardino, Norman Fell, George Peppard, Bobby Blake, and some other recognizable faces.

Bombers-B-52.

The Deep Six w: Alan Ladd and William Bendix.

Men of the Fighting Lady has Van Johnson.

The Bridges At Toko-Ri has William Holden, Mickey Rooney, Earl Holliman, Frederick March and Charles McGraw.

I know of a few other titles but just cant think of what they are at this time. Some of these like Fixed Bayonets, ToKo-Ri, Time Limit, The Hunters-are out on DvD but classics like Prisoner of War, The Glory Brigade, Target Zero-are not.

The Glory Brigade w/ Victor Mature, and an early; Lee Marvin appearance. This movie deals with a mixed unit of Americans supported by Greek Infantry. Everything is very good about this movie except for the very lousy mockup enemy tanks that you can clearly see are either Stuarts of Shermans.

Target zero deals with the few survivors of Easy Company-who survived being killed or captured only because they were on patrol. They are behind enemy lines and eventually meet up with a Sherman tank and its British crew. The Hunters also has Greek Soldiers featured even if only briefly.

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I just saw TCMs schedule and the movies are:

Men in War w/ Robert Ryan and Aldo Ray.
    This Is Korea(documentary) which is hosted by the excellent actor: John Ireland.
    The Steel helmet w/ Gene Evans and Robert Hutton. Directed by Sam Fuller.
    Men of the Fighting Lady w/ Van Johnson and Walter Pidgeon.
    I Want you w/ Dana Andrews. This one looks like a soaper.
    Battle Circus w/ Bogie and Keenan Wynn. This is like the MASH TV series.
    Tank Battalion w/ Don Kelly and Edw. G. Robinson.
    Mission Over Korea w/ Richard Erdman of: Stalag 17 fame (Hoppy) the barracks/compound chief.
    Battle Taxi w/ Sterling Hayden & Marshall Thompson.
    The Bamboo Prison w/ Robt. Francis and Brian Keith.
    All the Young Men w/ Alan Ladd, Sidney Poitier & James Darren.
    Take the High Ground w/ Richard Widmark, Karl Malden, Steve Forrest and Russ Tamblyn (the clowning soldier)
    The Rack w/ Paul newman and Walter Pidgeon.
    Hell In Korea w/ George baker, Harry Andrews and Stanley Baker.

Ive only seen 4-5 of these so I dont know if the others are good or not? With the Stars in them, im willing to bet they are decent to good enough.

Not all of these are on DvED, so ill check the ones that are and will post them.

I know I skipper Time Limit-thats an excellent movie about the JKoreean War and told in some flashback scenes. This has, Richard Widmark, Karl-Benton Reid, Delores Michaels, Rip Torn and my favorite-Richard Basehart. This movie BTW, is the only one that Karl Malden ever directed and he did so because of his best friends request (Widmark)

Im glad they are doing a marathon marking the 60th anniversary of the war, but I sure wished they would have picked a few more films like: Target Zero and Prisoner of War.

6. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Thanks for the heads up. I'm heading on over to TCM now to check out some of the trailers.

7. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Here's Carl's list with a little snippet about each movie:
    8:00 PM Men In War (1957) Two enemies join forces to save their men during a retreat from the North Koreans. Cast: Robert Ryan, Aldo Ray, Robert Keith. Dir: Anthony Mann. BW-102 mins, TV-PG
    10:00 PM This Is Korea (1951) Archival footage documents the North Korean aggression that started the Korean War. Cast: John Ireland narrates. Dir: John Ford. C-50 mins, TV-PG
    11:00 PM Steel Helmet, The (1951) Americans trapped behind enemy lines fight off Communists during the Korean War. Cast: Gene Evans, Robert Hutton, Steve Brodie. Dir: Samuel Fuller. BW-84 mins, TV-14
    12:30 AM Men Of The Fighting Lady (1954) Men on a U.S. aircraft carrier fight to survive the Korean War. Cast: Van Johnson, Walter Pidgeon, Louis Calhern Dir: Andrew Marton. C-80 mins, TV-PG, CC
    2:00 AM I Want You (1951) The draft and the Korean War threaten a small-town romance. Cast: Dana Andrews, Dorothy McGuire, Farley Granger. Dir: Mark Robson. BW-102 mins, TV-PG
    3:45 AM Battle Circus (1953) A doctor fights for his life during the Korean War. Cast: Humphrey Bogart, June Allyson, Keenan Wynn. Dir: Richard Brooks. BW-90 mins, TV-PG, CC 5:15 AM Tank Battalion (1958) Four soldiers pilot their tank behind enemy lines during the Korean War. Cast: Don Kelly, Leslie Parrish, Edward, G. Robinson, Jr. Dir: Sherman A. Rose. BW-80 mins, TV-PG
    25 Friday
    6:45 AM Mission Over Korea (1953) A rookie pilot in the Korean War wants to avenge his brother's death. Cast: William Chun, John Derek, Richard Erdman. Dir: Fred Sears. BW-85 mins, TV-G
    8:15 AM Battle Taxi (1955) A hotshot jet pilot joins a helicopter rescue team during the Korean War. Cast: Sterling Hayden, Arthur Franz, Marshall Thompson. Dir: Herbert L. Strock. BW-80 mins, TV-P
    9:45 AM Bamboo Prison, The (1955) An undercover agent investigates atrocities at a Koran P.O.W. camp. Cast: Robert Francis, Dianne Foster, Brian Keith. Dir: Lewis Seiler. BW-79 mins, TV-14
    11:15 AM All the Young Men (1960) A black sergeant is forced to take command when his lieutenant is killed during the Korean War. Cast: Alan Ladd, Sidney Poitier, James Darren. Dir: Hall Bartlett. BW-90 mins, TV-PG
    12:45 PM Take the High Ground ! (1953) A tough drill sergeant prepares green recruits for service in the Korean War. Cast: Richard Widmark, Karl Malden, Russ Tamblyn. Dir: Richard Brooks. C-101 mins, TV-PG, CC
    2:30 PM Time Limit (1957) An officer is court-martialed under suspicion of collaborating with the North Koreans. Cast: Richard Widmark, Richard Basehart, June Lockhart. Dir: Karl Malden. BW-97 mins, TV-PG
    4:30 PM Rack, The (1956) A Korean War veteran is accused of cracking under enemy torture. Cast: Paul Newman, Walter Pidgeon, Anne Francis. Dir: Arnold Laven. BW-100 mins, TV-14, CC
    Hell in Korea (1956) A small platoon fights to keep control of a small hill during the Korean war. Cast: George Baker, Harry Andrews, Stanley Baker. Dir: Julian Amyes. BW-80 mins, TV-14

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/month/

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Cheers Price/Lou,

Lou, thanks or posting the schedule. I didnt have enough time using library computers to think of doing so ;-))

Of this list that I know for sure, the only movie on DvD is Time Limit-which was released about a year ago. I THINK The Steel Helmet is on DvD as well? But will have to confirm soon as I can get back to a better working computer.

9. bongopete

bongopete Member

I havent seen most of these since I was a kid. 'Target Zero' and the lovely Peggy Castle!

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Target Zero was a very good movie and one of my alltime most favorites of Chas Bronson, Chuck Connors, Richard Conte and LQ Jones. Incidently, I might have aline on a few images from this movie. I always like Peggy Castle and she could have easily been a pin-up girl ;-0) Peggy Castle, Faith Domerque and Olivia de Havilland-were all very prime in their times ;-))

11. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Another movie i just thought of thats KW movie is: Ten Seconds To Hell, w/ Robert Mitchum. Its been at least 25 years ++ since I last saw this movie.

PS and-Bamboo Prison sounds a lot like Prisoner of War-a both are made aloong the exact same lines.

12. bongopete

bongopete Member

I think it was TCM that once ran a movie about 10 years ago it seems that I think was called 'Cease Fire'. If I remember correctly, it supposedly was filmed actually in Korea during the closing days of the war or something. Possibly some of the actors were later killed in combat. I can't remember now what other bits of trivia were thrown out before and after the movie. Poor acting and I might be wrong about this.....probably am considering the equipment, but I want to say that it was supposedly released in 3D!!!!

13. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I checked maltins book and thi movie isnt listed-but thats no big deal as he doesnt list quite a few movies like: Drums in the Deep South, Stalingrad, Stalingrad: Dogs Do You Want To Live Forever, Don't Go Near the Water w/ Glenn Ford, Earl Holliman, Mickey Schaunessey and Keenan Wynn??? Just to name a few. Also, most of the TCM Korean War movies list, are also not in the book.

14. bongopete

bongopete Member

15. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thanks for the link and, Hal Wallis was the Director of several of Errol Flynns movies if im not sadly mistaken? Either way, Hal Wallis always turned out great stuff.

16. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Bumped up as a reminder.