Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

A bit of classic film history for you buffs. 78 years ago today..............

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by C.Evans, Apr 7, 2011.

1. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

And I thought I was the only one here with a Neurological problem? :lol:

2. RabidAlien

RabidAlien Ace

Heh....most of my problems have large Latin names for them.

3. Clementine

Clementine Member

We had a B&W TV until I was well into my teens. Our beautiful color TV was stolen one night and my father swore he'd never buy another, and he didn't for years. I guess the ironic thing there is that in all the years since, my preference happens to be movies that are in B&W - or as one of my son's friends said once, those "gray" movies. And TV's with the tubes...funny, I kind of miss that.

Because I was into reading books about Hollywood's Golden Age, I knew all of the faces, and I had lists if my head of the movies I "had" to see someday - like "The Best Years of Our Lives" (since Dana Andrews was mentioned).

I want to gush over all of the movies, like Battleground, which is one of my faves, and actors mentioned, like Flynn and Cooper. But I will spare you. Just so you know I agree.

If your brain cell ever spits out the title of that silent movie, RabidAlien, let us know. I'd like to watch for it.

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Heh heh, no sparing needed. Its always good to chat with a classics movies fan. I can ramble on forever on these things.

5. RabidAlien

RabidAlien Ace

Aha!!!! Had to dredge through a similar post on ww2aircraft.net to find the title, since, knowing my braincell, I'd never remember it. "Four Sons" is the title. Four Sons (1928) - IMDb My DVR had it listed as "What Price Glory", which made it quite a surprise when it started off silent.

6. Clementine

Clementine Member

Great! Thanks. It being a Ford film means there is a good chance it will be shown again.

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Speaking of Battleground, I know the Daughter of one of the actors in the movie. This Lady is none other than Janet Thompson-Marshall Thompson;s Daughter. I got one of the family heirlooms last year-which was an "Actors Print" showing the entire cast as they were still in the back of that Deuce and a half and had just entered "Bastogne" and you can see Denice Darcel and the two kids she was in charge of, standing to the right of the truck. I mention this because, I also have another couple of photos-rather-a movie still which shows Van Johnson standing by the table in ""Darcels" apartment and Marshall Thompson is sitting with feet on table drinking Cognac. Anyway, if you would like? I have these on a photo CD, and if you want a copy of that CD? ill gladly sent you one. Only thing is, is it will have to be in the 1st week of May. Im short on cash this month already because of buying a complete set of Pork Chop Hill lobby cards and three studio photos.

Oh and, I dont charge to make and send these, these are from my collection. Also on the CD, are about another 100 or so pics, press photos, stills and such from my collection. If you want one? just let me know, and as I need to update my CD, ill add the PCH studio photos and such to them. Most of what is on the CD are War movie stills and a few Western Stills from movies im sure you will have no trouble knowing the titles too ;-))

Take care-Carl.

8. Clementine

Clementine Member

I'd love to see them and I don't mind reimbursing you for that. I'll send you a message.

I love Marshall Thompson in that movie. OK, I love them all in that movie....

C.Evans likes this.
  9. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thank you but no need to pay me anything. I was looking around the war room tonight and think I found a spare with everything on it except my newly purchased set of Pork Chop Hill lobby cards and three Studio Photos ;-)) BTW, two of those photos are the harder to get night time combat scenes, one is a daylight scene. The daylight scene is just after Gregory "Lt. Joe Clemens" Peck, had found and confronted the Woody Strode character hiding in a Bunker. Clemens still has his Carbine pointed at the Private but you don't see Strode in this shot. One of my night scenes you do see Strode-who is alongside of Clemens. The third shot only shows Peck, and his two radiomen-one of which is actor: Norman Fell.

Next month I will be getting in two complete LC sets from: The Long Ships w/ Richard Widmark, Russ Tamblyn and Sidney Poitier, and the other is a LC set for: War and Peace w/ Henry Fonda, Sir John Mills and Audrey Hepburn.

If your not familiar with The Long ships, its set during the times of the Vikings and the Moors. Widmark and Tamblyn are Viking leaders and Poitier is the leader of the Moors. Ive always loved that movie which has plenty of action with some comedy thrown in.

Anyway, my photos and LCs should be in in about a week and soon as they come in, ill get the pics scanned to the CD, I dont think the LCs will scan as they are the larger sized LCs not like the smaller ones you will see today IF you see any at all?

For a quick look at them, a friend of mine took them from my ebay account and posted them in the movies section a: Index page • www.histomil.com None of my others have been posted there yet.