Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

A Guy Named Joe

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by Prospero Quevedo, Dec 12, 2021.

1. Prospero Quevedo

Prospero Quevedo Well-Known Member

Not sure why the movie was titled that as no main character is named joe. I've been looking for this movie for almost two years online streaming but could only find it on pay sites. I've searched on m4uhd before and tried last nite and found it. I guess I'd forgotten a lot about the movie I was thinking it was all in the pacific but it starts in England and spencer Tracy is killed when he sinks a German aircraft carrier, guess the movie makers thought the Germans would get that carrier operational they used scenes of 25 b,c,D's for the movie p51 as 109s and b26s as japanese bombers, says they used the early lightning that were used as training planes as they were built without superchargers. I always thought the scene when Tracy blows up the carrier but comes out of the blast cloud flaming from wing tip to wing tip was crazy then it wallows like a leaf and crashes. Always is an adaption of the movie. Anyway I always thought it was a interesting movie and glad I finally found it. I've found a lot of great free streaming on m4uhd. Anyone looking for movies to watch should give it a try
    I had to lookup the movie plane database to identify the trainers, vultees. Also the Lockheed wasn't sure what model it was. It was. Lockheed C60 it said.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
  2. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

I always thought this was more about a love story than anything else. I did think that was a funny idea about the Germans having a carrier. I'm sure they were kicking themselves as the war progressed about not having one.

3. Prospero Quevedo

Prospero Quevedo Well-Known Member

Yeah they knew the advantages of one but kept changing the design the soviets claimed the incomplete hull after the war. I'm converting one of my stukas to have folded wings and a tail hook. I think the navalized stukas were kewl, but the 109s just had a tail hook, I have a bunch of 109s think I'll add a tail hook on two and make one with folded wings just for fun, I think they would have developed one if they had gotten the carrier in operation. Should have just finished it and built an improved version later instead of wasting so much time building rebuilding. If they could have gotten it finished they might have been able to devastate convoys the way we were doing in the pacific or at least been a real thorn in the navy's side. The allies would have gone all out to find and sink her. Just like they did with the battleships, showing sea power was more in the carriers or air than how big a ship you had or the size of your guns, Bismark crippled by old biplanes carring torpedoed and Tripitz sunk by a tall boy aerial bomb. They say the tall boy hit with such velocity it went clearly thur the ship and detonated underneath the ship. Anyway the allies would have had every carrier they had out hunting the German carrier down and all long range recon aircraft. I don't think she would have lasted very long if she managed to make it out to sea. The allies probably would have bombed her in the harbor if they heard she was ready to go to sea. They bombed the Italian ships and Germans whenever they could so most likely would have bombed it if the Germans had finished her. Probably left her alone while in construction as that diverted resources and man power from other German projects.