Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

A little help please - Who served where, and when?

Discussion in 'Land Warfare in the Pacific' started by Aussiegoat, May 6, 2019.

1. Aussiegoat

Aussiegoat Member

Hi all,

I'm doing a statistical analysis of allied army (and marine for the US) units in the Pacific to see if I can determine who was shouldering what combat 'load' at at any given time between December 1941 and September 1945. I have plenty of info on where Australian units were (see below), but not US, British or Dutch. Do you know of an easy to access/interpret source that will let me drill down to battalion level?

Here's a useful source for the Australian component, although it still needs further drilling down, for an example of the sort of thing I'm looking for: Who was there? a complete list. Great reference tool.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

2. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

For US Marines you can't beat Hyperwar. You can probably get most of what you need from "History of U.S. Marine Corps Operations in World War II" without getting into the more detailed monographs.
    The table of contents can be found here: HyperWar: U.S. Marine Corps in World War II

Just know when reading them, that you shouldn't pay too much attention to Marine brigades, focus on their component parts. In Marine Corps usage they are ad hoc, temporary, administrative units that are composed of permanent assets pulled from elsewhere. For instance early in the war, on 24 December, the 2d Marine Brigade was formed to defend Samoa. It's ground combat element (GCE) was the 8th Marine Regiment (8th Marines), a component of the 2d Marine Division. It's artillery component was 2d Bn 10th Marines. 10th Marines are the 2d Marine Divisions artillery regiment. Lastly, it had the 2d Defense Battalion as it's support component. 2d Defense Bn was an independent unit.
    Now, the Marine Corps defense battalions were everywhere early in the war. It was elements of the 1st Marine Defense Battalion that put up the heroic defense at Wake Island. It was Marine Corps tank platoons detached from these that provided armor support for US Army troops in the central Solomons. Some of these battalions were actually small regiments. Read more about them here: HyprWar: "Condition Red: Marine Defense Battalions in World War II"

3. Aussiegoat

Aussiegoat Member

Brilliant - thanks! And thanks for the heads up r.e. Marine Brigades.

4. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member Patron   WW2|ORG Editor

Hyperwar was founded by a Marine, Patrick Clancey. No bias, of course. ;)