Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

A new Barbarossa

Discussion in 'Hearts of Iron' started by SOAR21, Feb 19, 2009.

1. SOAR21

SOAR21 Member

I know many of you guys have played the Barbarossa campaign in this game. Most of you probably do the historic large pincer movement, but, this time, you have Moscow in mind, and no Hitler to screw with you.

I ran a very different, but equally, maybe even more, successful attack. At the beginning, I paused the game, and brought the majority of my divisions to the center, instead of the North and South. Once they were grouped, I attacked super-hard in the middle. My armor went first, snaking a path through Kiev and Smolensk, and straight to Moscow. Along the way, a sizable force split off and headed towards Stalingrad. Infantry marched double-pace behind the tanks to fill the holes in the line. After securing Moscow and leaving a seven division garrison, my tanks took off towards Leningrad. The loosely defended interior of Russia was fully exploited. Archangel was capture by a meager six divisions.

When my tanks reached Stalingrad, they turned southwest, in the direction of Sevastopol. The other tank group reached Leningrad and took it, with Finnish help. At this point, my troops were spread completely thin. Some provinces had only two divisions, and others had none. However, the skill of my commanders and my doctrine and equipment advantage allowed my to keep the supply lines open. Now, there were two HUGE pockets of Soviet troops.

I chipped away slowly, using supporting attacks and consolidation of gains. Occasionally, my tank armies would go on a large-scale thunder run, wreaking havoc through the weakened Soviets, cut off from supply. I crossed into the Crimean peninsula, and from there, launched a three pronged attack on the Southern pocket. Aside from the encirclement of three of my divisions, the Russians were destroyed. I now turned my eyes south, to Baku, the last remaining victory points (there were no victory points in the Northern pocket, just tens of Soviet divisions). My forces methodically drove the Soviets back, but encountered tougher than expected resistance in the mountains of the Caucasus. Just as I was on the threshold of Baku, with a large infantry group, the campaign ended...total victory eluded me.