Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

A new US fighter group link

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Erich, Jun 20, 2001.

1. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Guys :

Just got an e-mail from the web-master to approve his site. The Pioneer Mustang fighter group the 354th. A wild bunch with the most kills in the ETO. An unusual group since they started out first with the P-51, then had to reliquish the Mustangs to the 8th Air Force, while they of the 9th had to take the P-47 Thunderbolt. An action that the pilots detested. Only in November of 44 were the P-51 D's available again for the fighter group to take over and fly again with much success. check it out at :
    www.354th.com

Erich B

2. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Very nice site, and thanks Erich, I'll add this to the links page immediately.

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Another great site Erich--many thanks. I just visited it and its well done... [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Guys :

I hope this guy can keep things updated. There are quite a few pilots left of the 354th who could really deliver some great stories. Would love to see some great P-47 and P-51 pics during late war as this fighter group, though the highest scoring in the ETO is really overlooked. I have the origianl history book from them and I can tell you it is a product of the 1950's, photos are faded and blurred and most pics are of personell and hardly any of machines. Author Steve Blake is trying his best to get a new fighter group history out, and when he does.......whoa ! :D

E.

5. FalkeEins

FalkeEins Member

Hey Erich ..just picked up my copy of Steve's new book today from the Lashenden/Headcorn airfield museum shop. The 354th were based there during May/June 1944. The book is a monster, about 450 pages and 600 photos. The main text is a narrative with lots of first-hand accounts supported by some very extensive and detailed appendices. 10/10 ...another great Schiffer unit history

[​IMG]

6. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

great news Neil ! I have been in touch with Steve for quite some time knowing this big boy was being written but not an official yet even from photos supplier jack Cook who just lives 200 miles to my north, talk about an unreal photo collection via his dad I believe who was a WW2 photographer.

this book will be on my list then will have to get Kelly to possibly sign or get my rear up to my north for a visit....in fact Kelly does have his own personal site as he did up his bog book on him and the unit/squadron

www.ww2livebait.com

good one

Erich ~