Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

A Patton Story

Discussion in 'Western Europe 1943 - 1945' started by Martin Bull, Jul 16, 2002.

1. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

I know that there's a great fascination with Patton on the Forum. I just read the following 'anecdote' in Charles R Codman's book, 'Drive!' . Who knows if it's true but I just had to share it : -

'April 11,1945 .
    ...we came upon an interesting and idyllic roadside group composed of two G.I.s breathing down the necks of two not undecorative young ladies.

'Stop!' General Patton roared.
    Screeching of rubber as we slewed to the grassy side of the Autobahn.

'What the **** do you mean by fraternizing with those ******* German ******s !?'

The more self-composed of the G.I.'s unwound himself from his partner.

'Sir', he said,'these are two Russian ladies who have lost their way. We are trying to learn their language so as to direct them properly.'

For a moment Patton glared in silence.

'OK', he said, 'You win'. Then, turning to his driver, 'Go ahead'.

Out of earshot, he relaxed.

'Now that', he murmured, and there was real admiration in his tone, ' is really a new one !'. :cool:

2. Panzerknacker

Panzerknacker New Member

Just shows how well he thought on his feet and never showed that he was defeated-merely a quick remark then on his way...gotta love old Blood and Guts...

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Actually--coming from Patton, this doesnt sound too far out--I think he would have grinned and given the G.I's a thumbs up as well.

4. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Well, it shows the carisma of general Patton, his guts and temper, but at the same time it shows how close he was to the average GI. Even if Bradley is called the GI's general. Patton was close to that nickname too.