Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

A Russian point of view.

Discussion in 'Eastern Europe February 1943 to End of War' started by JeffinMNUSA, Oct 6, 2009.

1. JeffinMNUSA

JeffinMNUSA Member

Hello all;
    http://www.great-victory1945.ru/
    And the quote of the day is..

"For example, according to the opinion of those Russians who have watched a recent (2001) movie Enemy at the Gates, in which Jude Law, an English actor, plays our famous sniper Vassili Zaitsev, in fact, the actors resemble real Russian warriors as much as hamsters resemble sabretoothed tigers.
    Not a distant resemblance!"

The problem with actors portraying real people is that they often fail to convince-moreover, the movie did not accurately portray the Stalingrad battles; which were "toe to toe deadly urban combat."
    JeffinMNUSA

Sloniksp likes this.
  2. LJAd

LJAd Well-Known Member

I should say :they mostly fail to convince ;I haven't see the film;it will me take more time to go and return than the duration of the film ;experience has taught me that most war films are not my money worththe most recent are the worse,because we are two generations after WW II,and no film makers have a right picture of what happened ,not that they care,they care only about money btw is the movie an English one or a Hollywood one ?

3. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Here´s a group of pics by German soldiers of Red Army POW´s. Decide for yourself now...

Sloniksp likes this.
  4. JeffinMNUSA

JeffinMNUSA Member

Kai;
    No hamsters in those photos!

"Stalingrad is no longer a town. By day it is an enormous cloud of burning, blinding smoke; it is a vast furnace lit by the reflection of the flames. And when night arrives, one of those scorching, howling, bleeding nights, the dogs plunge into the Volga and swim desperately to gain the other bank. The nights of Stalingrad are a terror for them. Animals flee this hell; the hardest stones can not bear it for long; only men endure."

JeffinMNUSA

5. JeffinMNUSA

JeffinMNUSA Member

LJ;
    European of some kind-and I can't recommend it. Hamster soldiers... The real Frontoviks were hungry for blood.

JeffinMNUSA

6. jds70

jds70 recruit

Movies are never good history.some war movies are entertianing in there own right,but history never.Most of the wwii documentaries are mostly crap.Even they are fun to watch and make fun of the errors.If you want history ,read it.

7. marc780

marc780 Member

i guess the Russkis who saw the film were expecting a documentary? Movies are for entertainment and made because the producer and studio want to make a buck, they aren't training films. If they showed Stalingrad as how it really happened a lot of the (Western) audience would walk out. Besides which, the movie was directed and written by Frenchmen and starred Englishmen and Americans, all of whom probably weren't even born when Stalingrad happened...