Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

A very special artillery shell

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by colletorww2, Feb 15, 2010.

1. colletorww2

colletorww2 Ace

I bought this shell in a antique shop, and it actually belonged to the Norwegian handball player Cecilie Leganger( Cecilie Leganger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ). She used it as a flowerpot.

I found out that the shell is from the U.S Navy and is made in 1945, i have also seen something that looks like the ship name on the side, but i only see it in very bright light, but i can't get a picture of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi V/ a nice and interesting itm to say the least and congrats for having it ;-))

3. colletorww2

colletorww2 Ace

Thanks, i also bought a 40 mm bofors shell in that antique shop, and i got it for the same price as this shell(I think it was about 10 dollars).

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi V/ you may want to obliterate me for this goof but, anout 20 years ago I had the opportunity to get a practice Round from the Battleship Arizona. This had a metal projectile but wooden body and a brass backside. It was also stamped as being made in December 1941. I could have had this thing for $50 bucks. The guy who had it, sold it to some dork who ruined it by making a lamp out of it. I would have obliterated him had I known about that years sooner.

5. colletorww2

colletorww2 Ace

Wow Carl that is a shame, I have seen a couple artillery shells that have been made into lamps, i think it is a shame, but i found this one really nice lamp made by a Norwegian Resistance fighter(It is for sale on a Norwegian Militaria website(Could i loan 340 dollars from you?)). He has made it out of a German 81 mm Mortar shell and 3 Mills grenades

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Veger, I wish I had the money to loan you, thats a nice item. These being used to make that lamp isnt so bad as Mills Bombs are steadily up for sale on various sites. What the tragedy was of that shell from the USS Arizons-was that not only was it a shell marked directly to that Battleship which was sunk at Pearl Harbor, but also that the shell was stamped as 12/1941. The same month - rather-week in which that Battleship was sunk. That Practice Round had just arrived apparently-a few days before the Japanese sneak attack happened.

7. colletorww2

colletorww2 Ace

And you didn't buy it?! Wow, that is a shame!

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

i didn't buy it mainly for two reasons. 1) It was a very hevy son of a gun to try to carry about 1 mile back to my house. 2) I wasn't intot hat kind of stuff then. 3) I was more into collecting Comic Books and spent the vast majority of my money on them.

9. colletorww2

colletorww2 Ace

Well, it is still a shame of what he made it into :(

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

You can say that again. I'd still like to use a switch on him if I ever met up with the idiot.