Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Abrams losses

Discussion in 'Post-World War 2 Armour' started by AL AMIN, Aug 23, 2005.

1. AL AMIN

AL AMIN New Member

via TanksinWW2
    hey sorry guys but its again about losses
    how many abis and bradis were lost in combat during op iraqi freedom including losses after major combat has ended like w said
    to me major combat is just gettin startet over here :bang: :angry: :bang: :kill: :x :evil: :bang: :angry:

2. Canadian_Super_Patriot

Canadian_Super_Patriot recruit

via TanksinWW2
    I heard that one was knocked out in Baghdad just before major hostilities were "officially" over as Bush said, anyways an M1 was knocked out by another iraqi tank I believe , the crew bailed and an apache destroyed what was left of tha tank.

Al Amin where do you live in the middle east anyways ?

3. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I haven't been able to find any sources for that info.

I guess it's just not something lots of folks wonder about. I do know that Anniston Army Depot here in Alabama is working full crews on two shifts to handle repairs. These repairs are mostly Humvee's but there are some AFV's too. The greatest majority of these repairs are mechanical (engines, transmissions, etc.) but there are battle damages as well.

4. Jeffrey phpbb3

Jeffrey phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    There is a report somewhere where the US Ministry of Defence states that 80 Abrams where so badly damages they needed repairs back in the US, I guess this number is a bit higher now.

5. Grieg

Grieg New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Things can rapidly change and I'll try not to make the mistake again of relying on outdated information :oops:
    That being said, I have heard of no case of an Abrams being destroyed by another AFV. There is no doubt that a huge IED (bomb) killed the crew of one Abrams. Several were penetrated and destroyed by other Abrams after being disabled by APU fires. Many of the pictures in circulation showing a penetrated and destroyed Abrams were of these deliberately destroyed tanks. Many have been damaged, some severely by fires and RPG hits that didn't penetrate but started fires.
    The bottom line is this. No tank or AFV is invulnerable. There are no force fields surrounding them. They can be damaged and they can be destroyed. Hopefully the situation in Iraq will stabilze before the US goes through their inventory (about 8,000 all marks) of Abrams ;)

6. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    I remember when the Israelis brought out the Merverka, and optimised it to withstand RPG fire. Sadly, this got reported in the Media as 'This tank is invulnerable to RPG fire', and so every time one was lost (as happens), there was great speculation about how this could be, what was going on, should there be a big investigation, etc etc.
    :roll:

I don't know how many M1's have been lost to enemy action, but I can make a few educated guesses:

1) The total is quite low, and certainly a reasonably small percentage of M1s that have actually been shot at.

2) A fair chunk of the losses are due to tanks being abandoned (either through damage or breakdown) in a sticky situation, which means that they have had to be destroyed by American troops.

3) Probably all of the losses caused directly by enemy action have been from AT weaponry (from RPGs to homemade bombs/mines) rather than enemy AFVs.

4) Most, if not all of the losses occured after the Iraqi Army was defeated.

If anybody can give any proof either way to any of my guesstimates, please do so!

7. AL AMIN

AL AMIN New Member

via TanksinWW2
    well i dont have a high opinion of the iraqi military anyways but i heard that in the first hours of the operation iraqi freedom a major iraqi armord couter offensiv was lauched with over 100 mbt and apc wich could only be stoped by massiv air strikes does any body know something about this .

8. Danyel Phelps

Danyel Phelps Active Member

via TanksinWW2
    I highly doubt the "Could only be stopped by massive airstrikes" statement. When we went to Iraq back in the 90's, we hit them with everything the airforce had and their military casualties were minimal. Then ground forces came in and blew the crap out of them. Dispite what certian people will tell you, Aircraft have not and are still not the end-all in anti-tank warfare.

9. AL AMIN

AL AMIN New Member

via TanksinWW2
    but i read it in a french magazine why should they lie for saddams as

10. dave phpbb3

dave phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    mis representation of the evidence? magazines and papers often exagerate facts to make the story interesting

11. Grieg

Grieg New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Lol..that's funny. That's what the armor guys were praying would happen. They had heard all about the Gulf War from their instructors and other Gulf War veterans and they wanted their chance to engage in a 73 Easting or Medina Ridge type battle.
    The Iraqi's knew what would happen if they concentrated their armor and came out , that's why they never did.

12. Jeffrey phpbb3

Jeffrey phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I've heard of several Iraqi convoys equiped with T-55 and artillery pieces being destroyed by US and British troops.

13. AL AMIN

AL AMIN New Member

via TanksinWW2
    well i found a russian site with a hole buch of destructed abrams pics in iraq and it seems to be moer than 40 that have been destroyed

14. Danyel Phelps

Danyel Phelps Active Member

via TanksinWW2
    I fail to see what Al Amin is trying to get at here.

15. AL AMIN

AL AMIN New Member

via TanksinWW2
    what do youn mean as soon as i find this page i give ya the link

16. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    We have seen a similar page before on here. Most of the M1s were disabled in combat and then destroyed by their crew / other American forces.

Anyway, please post the link!

17. AL AMIN

AL AMIN New Member

via TanksinWW2
    god damm it i cant find it i was surfing the net and after several links i ended up there
    but know i tried to find it via google but with no succses

18. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Interesting aside:

I did not realise this, and it has no bearing on this discussion or anything else, really, but America has exported a fair few M1 tanks:

M1A1 (555 to Egypt)
    M1A2 (several hundred each to Saudi Arabia and Kuwait)

I'm not making any kind of point, just sharing information that I did not know! :)

19. Che_Guevara

Che_Guevara New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Some pics

Sometimes after the crew rescue the vehicle is destroyed by own american forces, if a fast recovery is not possible, for prevent equipments ( ammunition, radios, etc), no being used by insugent forces.

So not every M1 was destroyed by iraqi freaks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one was captured ???

[​IMG]

20. Che_Guevara

Che_Guevara New Member

via TanksinWW2