Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Acclaimed Actor Ed Harris, Star of "Appaloosa," Voice of New WWII Documentary Profiling Gross Neglec

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by JCFalkenbergIII, Oct 15, 2008.

1. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Acclaimed Actor Ed Harris, Star of "Appaloosa," Voice of New WWII Documentary Profiling Gross Neglect on Tarawa Beach

By marketwire

MALIBU, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 10/15/08 -- Academy-award nominee and Golden Globe winning actor Ed Harris, currently starring in the movie "Appaloosa," narrates a documentary that highlights an emotional look through the eyes of WWII veteran and author Leon Cooper. Cooper is leading a crusade to clean up piles of garbage mounting on Red Beach in Tarawa, hallowed ground where thousands of American marines lost their lives in one of the bloodiest battles in U.S. history.

The documentary, titled, "Return to Tarawa: The Leon Cooper Story," shot by noted Hollywood filmmaker Steven C. Barber, and award-winning film editor Jay Miracle, who has worked with George Lucas, Milos Forman, and Francis Ford Coppola, is in its final stages. Major television channels have expressed interest in airing the film.

According to Cooper, "The piles of garbage, such as plastic bags and bottles, food wrappers, soiled diapers, and other trash is continuing to pile up -- an insult to the memory of all who fought and died there for their country." He wants the U.S. government to clean up the area, restoring Red Beach to its pristine condition, as a permanent war memorial. For the past three years, he has been appalled by the lack of interest from U.S. government officials about the mounds of trash on the beach. He has tried repeatedly to get their attention on this important matter.
    Cooper has taken his personal mission to the political top brass in Washington DC, without much success. Only Senator Dianne Feinstein and Congressman Henry Waxman have expressed interest in his cause, with Waxman putting comments into the Congressional Record.
    Earlier this year, Cooper made a return trip to Tarawa, meeting with public officials and local media there for the documentary, as he saw the gross neglect first-hand. Go to: www.returntotarawa.com.

http://www.broadcastnewsroom.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=550712

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

This is sad to read about. You know-it's really funny (NOT) that the Govt can "find" over 700 Billion Dollars-to bail out wall-street-but they can't find any interest-and probably not funds-to clean up Tarawas beach.

3. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Thats so very true. But it seems to be a game of what is higher on the list of things that looks good right now.

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Or rather what's of more importance to the jokers running our Country-into the ground that is.

5. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

I too am dismayed at the trash, however, like it or not this is the responsibility of the Republic of Kiribati not the US government. That would be akin to saying that the US was responsible for keeping the beaches of Normandy tidy. It isn’t, and we don’t; the French do it on their own.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/kr.html

If the people who wish to see the beaches cleaned up wish to do something then it is up to them to launch some sort of fund raising campaign for that purpose. I am sure that many Americans and American veteran’s organizations would be more than happy to help.

This is tourist "trash", and tourism is one of the islands only sources of income. Perhaps the Republic of Kiribati should set aside a portion of the tourist money for this purpose as well?

They make the money out of the visitors to the beaches, not the US government.

6. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Im not saying that the US Government is responsible. Biut that something should be done to help. Obviously the French Government does it out of respect for the lives and efforts given to liberate them. The Republic of Kiribati will not or does not care.

7. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

I didn't mean my post as a "dig", I too am dismayed at the condition of the beaches there. What I was attempting to convey (poorly it appears) is that since the Republic of Kiribati makes most of its money from tourism it is they who should take responsibility for the condition of the beaches. The French do it out of both respect and self-interest I am sure. The Normandy coast attracts a great deal of tourist money, and a poorly maintained attraction would diminish their income as well as their reputation.

I meant no offense to either yourself or to Carl. Sorry if it came out that way.

8. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Thats ok my friend :). I understood :). None taken.

9. wtid45

wtid45 Ace

I wonder if this is the case in other parts of the world that involved invasion forces be it ANZIO or PELELIU:confused:

10. Lias_Co_Pilot

Lias_Co_Pilot Member

1) Interesting how Hollywood types want American citizens to foot the bill for yet another international problem.

2) Actually, the trash problem is an oceanwide problem. Currents are carrying trash from the shores of countries (and discarded from boats/ships). In places where currents converge, there are actually rivers of plastic (the plastic breaks down into small pieces). Whales who strain water for food are getting sick from the plastic.

3) I'm not a numbers/math person, but I know enough of taxes to know the US taxpayer is overloaded. Other countries use people like Ed Harris to make sure they continue their own incompetence and corruption while Americans get the blame for problems in other countries.