Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Acronyms and Abbreviations

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by Peter Bilbrough, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Peter Bilbrough

Peter Bilbrough New Member

My father served mostly in North Africa, Cyprus, and Sicily/Italy in WW2 with the 200th Field Ambulance RAMC and both kept a diary and wrote copious letters home. I am trying to edit both and generally I have successfully identified the huge number of acronyms and abbreviations he uses in his diary in particular. However, I am stumped with 4 and I wonder if I can ask the group if anyone knows what these mean. I have searched the forum and the net generally but cannot find any clues. To make them more understandable I give the context from his writings:

1. 16 Sep 1943: Move up with Brigade to a new concentration area about 100 miles away [after landing in Italy]. We established AOS north of Belvedere... [Back in 2010 the forum had a list of acronyms and there AOS stood for Air Observers School but this would not be appropriate here]

2, Sep 1942. Go with Bernard to see DST 8th Army. He gets through OK with high %age. May go to OCTU Oct or it may be Jan 43. [looking for DST - some sort of examination board by the looks of it].

3. Oct 1941. Drew IDA from Cyprus (32PT) July. [seems to be an amount he got for serving in Cyprus but what IDA is has me baffled]

4. 21 Sep 1941. Car goes to AMTMD for overhaul
    27 Sep 1941. Fetch car from AMTMD
    [I believe MTMD means Motor Transport Maintenance Depot from other clues I have seen and I am guessing the A means Army but would welcome guidance]

2. sonofacameron

sonofacameron Member

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  3. Takao

Takao Ace

DST might be Director of Supplies and Transport.