Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Action in Morroco

Discussion in 'North Africa: Operation Torch to Surrender of Tuni' started by Onthefield, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Onthefield

Onthefield Member

Does anybody have any info/links on anything that happened in Morroco? From deployment to any skirmishes to battles. Looking for detailed info and coming up empty.

Johnesgef likes this.
  2. TA152

TA152 Ace

3. TA152

TA152 Ace

You might get some information here. I did not read it all but Patton wrote a nasty letter to the Sultan. :eek:

North Africa

4. MARNE

MARNE Member

Hey OTF,

If your looking for a ton of great information on the action in North Africa, I highly recommend the book "An Army At Dawn" by Rick Atkinson. He gets VERY detailed about the actions that took place in Morocco, North Africa.

Kind Regards,
    MARNE

5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

you may try by typing geographical and battle or army names in French such as "Maroc 1942" or "opération Torch Maroc 1942" or "bataille Casablanca" "france libre maroc" or "américains maroc 1942" Marocco was part of the French Empire and many articles about this period were written in French (hopefully with English versions ) . I'll be away for the day, but I'll see if I can find something tomorrow.

6. Onthefield

Onthefield Member

Yeah Skip, i did come up with some links from those phrases, some I was able to translate and extract some info.

Marne, I will definetly be picking up that book and diving into that after 2 books on my list. Appreciate it!

7. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Glad I could help! If I come up with more key words, I will gladly add them.

8. Carl W Schwamberger

Carl W Schwamberger Ace

I'll second the recomendation of 'Army At Dawn'.

In short: The ultra conservative military governor of Morroco, Gen Nogues, kept his soldiers fighting the US Army longer than any other Vichy leader in Africa. Pattons corps suffered over 300 casualties in three days of combat.

Ironically slightly over 300 US & British soldiers died in Morroco & Algeria in November at French hands. However the French military governor of Tunisia ordered his soldiers to stand back and allow the Germans to take over the airfields and ports. Not a single German soldier died in combat in that critical week of November in Tunisia.

Nogues remained in place as governor of Morroco after the cease fire. under his leadership pro Allied French officers were relived of their dutys and several 'disappeared' into the French military prison. Nogues chief of his Second Department (Intelegence) begain passing (through Spain) to Germany everything that could be collected on Pattons corps. Meanwhile Patton wined & dined Nogues and traded parades. Eventually US/BRitish intellegence made Ike aware of Nogues duplicity and the French were required to have the pro Allied officers released. After DeGaulle took control of the North African governance the pro German French leaders were finally removed.

9. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

10. TA152

TA152 Ace

I'll drink to that ! :cheers:

11. Onthefield

Onthefield Member

Just ordered an army at dawn on half.com for $1.50. I'll be letting you know when I get into everyone, thank you again.

My parents live there now so I am wondering what to go see when I go to visit next.

12. MARNE

MARNE Member

OTF,

A couple of places to definitely see is the Fedela landing beaches, Fort Blondin, Casablanca(of course)....

Kind Regards,
    MARNE