Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Actor Charles Durning has Died at age 89

Discussion in 'WWII Obituaries' started by kerrd5, Dec 25, 2012.

1. kerrd5

kerrd5 Ace

"LOS ANGELES — Charles Durning grew up in poverty, lost five of his nine siblings to disease, barely lived through D-Day and was taken prisoner at the Battle of the Bulge.

"His hard life and wartime trauma provided the basis for a prolific 50-year career as a consummate Oscar-nominated character actor, playing everyone from a Nazi colonel to the pope to Dustin Hoffman’s would-be suitor in 'Tootsie.'”

Charles Durning, Oscar-nominated king of the character actors, dies at 89 in NYC - The Washington Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Durning

2. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Sad to hear.

Rest in Peace.

3. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

:poppy:
    One of the good guys.
    RIP

4. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

I guess you did not beat Mr John Wayne in the number of roles but a very good try... R.I.P. Charles! :(

5. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Thank you for your service, Mr. Durning. Be at peace. :S!

6. buk2112

buk2112 Member

Thank you for your service to your country Mr. Durning. R.I.P.

7. Biak

WWII Soldier, character actor Charles Durning to be interred at Arlington | Article | The United States Army

WASHINGTON (Army News Service, Jan. 17, 2013) -- Triple Purple Heart holder, Silver Star recipient and award-winning character actor Charles Durning, who died at 89 on Christmas eve of natural causes, will be laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery, Va., Feb. 21.

Born in Highland Falls, N.Y., adjacent to the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, where his mother was a laundress for the cadets and his father a Soldier, Durning was the fourth of 10 children. He had four brothers who lived into adulthood, but his five sisters died from smallpox and scarlet fever as children.

Known as Chuck by friends, Durning was drafted and found himself in the Army in one of the first waves to land on the beach at Normandy on June 6, 1944, D-Day. Just nine days later he earned his first Purple Heart when he was seriously wounded by a German mine at Les Mare des Mares.

Following a six-month recovery in England, he was rushed to the front lines to fight against the German Ardennes offensive. During the Battle of the Bulge, Durning suffered wounds, this time in hand-to-hand bayonet combat for which he would later receive a second Purple Heart.

Still able to fight, Durning would earn his third Purple Heart when he moved into Germany in March with the 398th Infantry Regiment, where he was severely wounded in the chest in March 1945. Durning was then evacuated to the U.S. to spend the remainder of his time in the Army recovering until he was discharged in January 1946 as a private first class.

In addition to the Purple Hearts, Durning was awarded the Silver and Bronze Stars for valor and the World War II Victory Medal. In 2008 the French consul presented him with the National Order of the Legion of Honor.

Following the war, Durning boxed professionally while enrolled in acting classes on the G.I. Bill and performing on the New York stage. But it wasn't until he was 40 that he entered the film world where in 1962 he played the role of a G.I. in the "Password is Courage." Then at 50 he had his breakout role as a corrupt policeman who hustles professional con artists in 1973's "The Sting" with Robert Redford and a follow-on as a detective in "Dog Day Afternoon" with Al Pacino in 1975.

While Durning continued to be a stage actor, his film career took off, he had performed in more than 100 films by his death, working virtually every year between 1973 and 2011 in such films as "Breakheart Pass," "Captains and Kings," "The Muppet Movie" and "Tootsie."

And, if he wasn't performing on the big screen, he was active doing voice-overs for "Family Guy," and playing roles in other television movies and mini-series such as the 1980's "Attica," 1990's "The Kennedys of Massachusetts" and 2004's "NCIS."

Durning said he had never turned down a part regardless of the role. He loved the Christmas season and to that end the portly, 5'8" thespian played the role of Santa Claus no less than five times in his career.

His significant honors include Academy Award Best Supporting Actor nominations in 1982 for "Best Little Whorehouse in Texas," and in 1983 for Mel Brooks' comedy-drama "To Be or Not to Be."

He also received six Emmy Award nominations, a Tony Award in 1991 in the Best Actor-Play category and four Golden Globe nominations, including a win in 1991 for Best Support Actor. In January 2008 he was honored with the Screen Actors Guild Lifetime Achievement Award and a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Durning participated in various functions to honor American veterans throughout the years, including serving a year as chairman of the U.S. National Salute to Hospitalized Veterans. For many years he also served as guest speaker at the National Memorial Day Concert held at the Capitol Building in Washington.

8. TD-Tommy776

I didn't realize he served in the Century Division (100th ID). I always liked him as an actor. It seems he was an even better soldier.

BTW, he didn't win any awards for it, but I loved him in O Brother, Where Art Thou? where he played a character named Pappy O'Daniel.

9. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Forget the Hollywood awards (although the Academy probably objects), Durning was first a military hero. The awards he got in WW2 are of greater interest to me. RIP

10. Sheldrake

Sheldrake Member

11. Sheldrake

Sheldrake Member

While I am sure thatCharles Durning was a veteran of the NW Europe campaign. Theanecdotes about him don't add up. I was initially intrigued becausehe seemed to have been at both Omaha Beach on D Day and at theMalmedy massacre. The closer I looked the more implausible thestories seemed to be. If he landed with 1st Infantry then which bitof it? How is it that he does not appear in the many volumes of eyewitness accounts?

He may have beensomeone whose tales got taller the older he got and the later atnight he told them. In an address to veterans in 2007 he says helanded in the assault wave in Normandy - yet Burt Reynolds told astory in Durnings presence on a chat show about how Durning hadlanded by glider and fought his way back to the beach. Yet others sayhe served in an infantry Regiment in 100th Division but transferredto an AAA battalion - which was at Omaha beach - in July- August1944.

He seems to have beendeeply affected by the war and some accounts write of him receivingpsychiatric treatment. When this news broke over Christmas I had somefun comparing the different versions of the stories about him andblogged about it here . Who Checks the UK Newspaper Obituaries? | The Observation Post

12. 36thID

36thID Member

If you're calling him a liar, he's fooled a lot of people.... He has a Silver Star, a Bronze Star, 3 Purple Hearts and he's buried at Arlington.

13. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

A few general comments:

-Its almost unanimous that Mr. Durning was not at Malmedy. The more likely scenario is that he was involved in one of the lesser-known massacres that occurred around the same time. Since Malmedy was the only commonly-known one, its likely that he somehow became associated with it.
    -There is no doubt that he saw extensive action. He received three purple hearts in less than one year -- that's about one every 3 months. Its highly unlikely that he would not have got these in an anti-aircraft unit. His war record speaks for itself (and if the Army newspaper reported on this record, you know its accurate).
    -Almost every story I've read said that he landed on Omaha with the 1st ID on D-Day. Its quite possible that Reynolds got confused, as I've never heard this claim anywhere else.
    -RE, the AAA batallion: It was not 'a given' that a wounded soldier would be assigned to his own unit after being wounded. In fact (as far as I know), most were not. So its feasible that he served with the 1st ID until he was wounded, and then was assigned to a AAA battery.
    -With his impressive war record, what need would he have to lie about his time in the service? His record is hardly one like those boot-camp-washout MoH recipient impersonators and 'paper warriors' whose claimed 'awards' look good on their resume.

14. Biak

What is being over looked here is not the validity of Mr. Durning's accomplishments but the lack of journalistic integrity. Hell, 90 percent of any article either in print or on television has spelling mistakes and inaccurate content. Don't hold the subject person responsible for the inferior abilities of some so called Journalist who lacks the morale fortitude to research their subject.
    Rather than call into question the Life of a Soldier, one should first research that Soldier themselves before casting disparaging remarks.

15. Sheldrake

Sheldrake Member

There are real problems with accepting the testimony of veterans as a primary source. Memory is very faillible, which is why witness statements taken long after an event are worthless. As Richard Holmes pointed out vets sometimes tell the story they think the audience wants to hear, or muddle someone else's story with their own. One British Anzio veteran, captured at Anzio in Feb 1944 told me his eye witness account of the Polish flag being raised ovr Monte Cassino - which took place two months after he was a PW in the Reich.

I don't know how much of the Durning story is true, how much was Hollywood hype about a celebrity how much was the memories of an old man who had suffered in wartime. If the US Normandy veterans accepted him as one of their own, that's good enough for an obituary. I blame the obituary writers for printing lots of spurious detail that raises the questions. Perhaps those of us interested in detail of Omaha beach and the Bulge should ignore the nagging questions - at least omn the obituary page.

16. 36thID

36thID Member

Sheldrake...

I looked into this subject a lot after your post. Regretfully, I see your point. Many questions regarding Mr. Durning.

From the man that stormed the beaches of Normandy, to the ones that unloaded freighters 3 months later, they're all hero's in my book. I would hope this subject gets put to rest, at least on this forum. The emphasis here is research.

Respectfully

17. TD-Tommy776

I think it would be best to keep in mind that this is an obituary thread. I'm all in favor of pointing out inaccuracies, but it would be much more in the spirit of the thread to actually correct the record with facts. As Steve suggested, research needs to be done.

18. Sheldrake

Sheldrake Member

A fair point.