Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Adding Ads

Discussion in 'WWII Forums News' started by Otto, May 26, 2013.

1. Otto

Otto GröFaZ Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I'm slowly re-inserting adverts into the site. I'll be playing with the setup until I have something not too terrible obnoxious. There may be some blank areas where the ad is supposed to be, but not loaded yet. It's all part of the process. If you see anything very bothersome let me know, but it will be the same as before, unnoticeable after a while.

2. belasar

belasar Court Jester

I had noticed, but perhaps I'm jaded as I didn't bother to read them :)

3. Otto

Otto GröFaZ Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Ad blindness does develop over time as you are exposed to them. A good thing. Right now I'm working an option for members to remove the ads altogether.

4. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

Otto, my humble view is do as you think best. They are a part of Internet life and do not bother me, well pop ups are obnoxious but then so are some people ! LOL.

I noticed one this AM from a rather unknown company I do business with so it must have a very smart cookie to have found me !@!

Gaines

5. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Mr.G, maybe it's possible your security settings are too low? I'm no computer genius, but always keep my settings just above functional. Then I always try to delete history/cookies upon exiting or entering- thereby foiling attempts of the next/last site looking at where i've been/going.. [not ashamed- WW2F is accepted by most people around the world.]..Then i have to wash my hands 3 times, turn the light on /off 4 times. Is that weird?

6. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

Poppy , you are probably right, I keep mine on moderate levels. I am not getting pop ups here, just complaing about them in general!!

When I logged in there was an ad for a spiral staircase maker, I have been looking at websites to specify one on a job. Pretty narrow targeting !!
    Today I saw a Lufthansa ad. I booked a flight last night for my daughter, from Denver to Bastia on Corsica on Lufthansa.. So today they are already sending me more great deals !! LOL

To me all this is fine, pays for the forum, and ads are everywhere on the Net. I find it somewhat humorous. I may be the only one seeing that particular ad.

I am always ready to make a contribution should the administration call for help. ads do not bother me at all.

Gaines

7. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Oi..I don't like anyone knowing what I'm about to or have done...Us old guys live by the old rules...Times are a changin'. Seems like my kid coughs up everything about his life on FB...I, on the other hand don't want anyone to know that I'm going on VAC, or that my guard dog is sick...Kids cough up too much info, and the internet knows it...Stop Facebook now. Google sticks its' nose where it doesn't belong. Restrict your settings, and cancel Facebook account. Let them pay us for the info they want. We have the power.

4jonboy likes this.
  8. lwd

lwd Ace

Actually I look on relevant ads as a plus. Haven't really noticed whether the ones today have been "relevant" or not.

9. O.M.A.

O.M.A. Active Member

Put the ads in! I can't believe a site of this activity appears to have no apparent income, and I don't see the ads anymore anyway.