Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Advanced Squad Leader

Discussion in 'Advanced Squad Leader' started by Otto, May 29, 2013.

1. Otto

Otto Rested & Resupplied with MREs. Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I'm curious about the number of members that might play ASL. Anyone here play the game? Either over a table or via VASL?

blutoubtemium likes this.
  2. belasar

belasar Court Jester Staff Member

The boss is looking for fresh meat! :)

3. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Not currently. When I was still in the military I used to play it a lot (we didn't use a table we used the floor in the duty NCO hut). Especially, when we had weekend duty.

4. Otto

Fresh meat? Maybe. :i_surrender:

There are a tonne of players in my area, so there isn't much trouble finding opponents. I'm trying to get a feel for the overlap between ww2 enthusiasts and ASL players. It just seems to me that one of the most intricate and accurate simulations of tactical WW2 battles is generally played by people who identify as boardgamer first and not so much ww2 enthusiasts. I'd like ti start an ASL area here, but I suspect there aren't many people that would particiapte or care much. It might be an issue of "if you build it they will come" but it might be a dead alley also.

5. lwd

lwd Ace

I played Squad Leader some a long time ago and enjoyed it. I'm not sure I ever played Advanced Squad Leader though.

6. Takao

Takao Ace

I have not played in many years, but was a big fan of Squad Leader and Advanced Squad Leader back in the day. Sadly, the game never really made the jump to the PC, although a few companies tried.

Never heard of VASL though.

Of all the Avalon Hill Games I have played, I think the most enjoyable were ASL and MBT.

7. Otto

If you like Squad Leader, ASL is an improvement by a significant measure. If you can spare the funds to get started, and have opponents to play, it's a solid game.

As for a computer version, there is no authorized or viable version save for one game that is clearly modeled after ASL. Combat Mission, specifically the original turn based CMBO, CMAK, & CMBB versions. They use the exact terminology, results, & simultaneous turn play. No game can truly provide the challenge of a human player, and this is the case for both ASL and Combat Mission. Both games are best when played against a human.

VASL is a game engine to play ASL virtually over the web, but it has to be against a human, there in no AI. I've never played, but I know of people that connect over skype, set up identical boards and have at it.

8. lwd

lwd Ace

Have you had a chance to look at or play any of the Clash of Heroes games by Acadamy press? The one I got to play at a con gave me the impression that it was a very cleaned up and inovative version of ASL. The gentleman demoing it showed some very favoreable comments on it from Richard Berg among others. I must admit the fact that I demolished my opponent may have had some impact on my enjoyment. Nothing went his way. I had just got an explanataion of the rules and was about to play vs the guy demoing the game when another interested player came in. So I got to listen to the rules explanation twice that plus a lot of time playing such games gave me a leg up. I think I out played him as well but I also got better rolls especially when it was important and he tended to get bad ones when it was.

Will have to look and see if I stil have any SL or ASL games though.

9. Takao

Takao Ace

Conflict of Heroes...Clash of Heroes is a Might & Magic PC game.
    http://academy-games.com/games/conflict-of-heroes

Sound like a fairly easy and fun game to play. Looks like it falls between the "Beer & pretzels" Axis & Allies, and the "grognard's wet dream" ASL with all rules in play. From reading the sample turns, I like the fact that there seems to be little waiting around.

10. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I played the original Squad Leader back in college and for a while after I married. It has been at least 20 years since I last moved stacks around.

I don't have the time anymore, nor do I have a place to leave the game set up. Maybe one day.

11. Otto

Would be interested if you do have any remnants. If you have any you'd like to get rid of, I'd be happy to work something out with you.

12. lwd

lwd Ace

I'll check. I had a friend take a bunch of my old games to a dealer to sell some years ago but I still have a bunch.

13. Hawkerace

Hawkerace Member

Festung Hungary is a good module.

Watched a few people play it, it looked very interesting.

I only have pieces for Flames of War, somewhat similar. Except not card based, and nor a board game, so no - not really similar at all. Forget that.

Hexagonal board games are pretty cool.

14. Otto

Festung Budapest is a good module. It's not an segment of the war I have a whole lot of interest it, but I hear it is well done.

There is a new PTO module coming out called Rising Sun which includes the Japanese, Chinese, the US Marines, and some Commonwealth troops also. It looks superb.

15. S.Hayha

S.Hayha New Member

I play advanced squad leader. To think about it I played it last night but never with another person. Its just too complex for anyone else I know. I play it on table top btw. I'm still not confident about the rules and I've only played a handful of the starter kit games, but its better than nothing.

Otto likes this.
  16. Otto

S.Hayha, do you play it solitaire then? You should be able to find opponents in your area, I know for a fact there are may players near Washington, DC, if you are close to that area.

17. S.Hayha

S.Hayha New Member

Yeah, I'm in maryland, but I'm a freshman in highschool so no one my age really likes this stuff other than me. So I normally play solitaire. otherwise I practice different tactics and maneuvers by ignoring the rules.

18. Otto

Opponents are not hard to find in your area, but I see F2F games might be difficult in your situation. Have you ever heard of VASL? Its a free online version of the game.

19. S.Hayha

S.Hayha New Member

Yeah, but i only ever saw it once. I would totally play it if I had an opponent.