Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Advice re Researching Documents

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Paul Errass, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Paul Errass

Paul Errass Member

I have some documents in my possession relating to an NCO who served with the Das Reich Division throughout the war.I would like to try and research his war service etc and was wondering if those of you who have done this before could give me any advice on the best way to go about this,which organisations to contact etc etc

Thanks

Paul [​IMG]

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Paul--let me know what questions you want to ask, and I will contact a man who is kinda like The Holy man of Research, and ill lewt you know his answers--ask away and I will let him know about this tomorrow. BTW--he is a Geneologist by trade, and should be able to give you nothing but A #1 tips on where to go to get good info. :D

3. Paul Errass

Paul Errass Member

Hey Carl,

Just the usual kind of thing mate,which exact units he served with(i know he was with SS Inf Rgt 11 in 1941),where he served,wounds,awards,general war service history.
    Thanks mate,

Paul [​IMG]

4. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Besides the Militar archiv's in Koblenz, Freiburg and Berlin I would suggest the Das Reich gemeinschaft representative and his info is located on www.feldgrau.com in the veterans section.

hth

E

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thats cool--ill pass it on to my friend in ted kennedyland--he is a genius on German records specializing on Imperial Gereman stuff but has added ww2 German stuff as well--and I embarassingly forgot to mention Erich B. as he is also someone who does alot of research. Glad to see you found this topic Erich.

I will let you know if my friend can find anything out--hes pretty good. He collects rangelists (Sp?) and tons of old regimental books etc.

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Paul, one more important question my friend--whats his name? and whats his rank listed on the documents?

Er--two more questions--not one [​IMG]

7. Paul Errass

Paul Errass Member

Thanks to Carl and Erich.

I will try the Bundesarchiv and i have been meaning to contact Heid Ruhl about something else so will try him as well.
    Carl will mail you with all this guys details as i have his D O B and his place of birth and address in 1946.

Cheers.....Paul [​IMG]

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Dear Paul--thanks mate--and I will gladly pass it along to my researcher friend in ted kennedyland and see what he can come up with. He loves these kinds of things and this one could make for a very decent challenge.

I will be back here tomorrow and very briefly friday (I have to get my taxes done) and I procrastinated too long. :rolleyes: