Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

After Action Reports

Discussion in 'Living History' started by panzergrenadiere, Nov 2, 2001.

1. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

well, the thing is we dont re-enact every weekend so and we aint doing anything until next year now anyway (except a photoshoot tomorrow I am attending) so it could be a problem anyway.

As for weapons, some guys own their own live or blank firers, mostly we rent them though.

2. John Dudek

John Dudek Member

Hi Stefan. If memory serves, John Diefenbaker was Canada's Prime Minister in the early 1960's. Best wishes, John.

3. panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere Member

I own my own K98 and one of the leaders of my unit makes blanks for us. He charges around $22 for a 100 blanks. I have one more event for the year on next saterday I can't wait for it.

4. Andreas Seidel

Andreas Seidel Member

Do some of you fire your weapons with live ammo on a range every now and then?

5. panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere Member

I've wanted to fire live ammo with K98 since the day I bought it. Don't laugh,but my mom doesn't want me to go to the range and freaks out every time I bring it up. :mad:

6. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

I dont actualy own my own live rifle (god damn lisencing laws :() but i do have a couple of deacts. Anyhow, I have fired 5.56 on a range but I really want to get out there with a K98 or an enfield.
    Thanks john, I will change my sig soon as i can be bothered

7. Ron

Ron Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by panzergrenadiere:
    I've wanted to fire live ammo with K98 since the day I bought it. Don't laugh,but my mom doesn't want me to go to the range and freaks out every time I bring it up. :mad:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where the heck did you find a K98?!
    and well don't worry...soon as you can drive and purchase ammo...you can take it down to a range as much as you want!! :D

8. panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere Member

Its not hard at all to find a K98, just go to a gunshow or gunshop. They are not very expensive either, I got mine for $75, but you usually don't get them that cheap. You most likely will spend between $150-$200 for a decent one for reenacting. I have yet to go to a gunshow that didn't have a K98 for sale. So just go to a gunshow and look around I'm sure you'll find one.

9. Ron

Ron Member

cool thanks

10. Andreas Seidel

Andreas Seidel Member

A friend of mine used to own a K98k, but swapped it for a rifle three times it's value. He mentioned it had quite a recoil, especially when firing it for longer periods of time.

11. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

When you are a re-enactor that is not really an issue. We fire blanks all the time and so the recoil on most rifles is easily ignorable. I know my Enfield at the last battle had so little recoil I didnt realise when I had had a missfire. It also meant I was very tentative after a missfire because I wasnt sure if it was going to go off after I opened the chamber.

12. panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere Member

The most noticeable force or recoil from a weapon during a reenactment is from my unit's i.g. gun or our pak 40. I guarantee that you wil feel it.

13. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Then again there is that old saying from the german trenches of WW1, 'he who fires an anti tank gun from his shoulder is an idiot' :D ;) ;) . I know what you mean though. Wish we had a PAK, damn lucky bloody americans *mumble mumble mumble.......*

14. panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere Member

Sorry I keep rubing it in your face about the pak and our other stuff. Its all in good fun.

I feel like the most popular kid in school today. The story about how I do reenacting was in the newspaper today and people liked it. I thought I was gonna be taunted and harassed all day, but the oposite happened. If today was a dream please dont' wake me. ;) I'm gonna scan the article and try and post it here. I have a tactical/living history event to go to tomorrow so it might be alittle while before I scan it.

Hopefully I'll have a new after action report after me and my fellow panzergrenadieres push the americans out of the Addennes, er I mean across the farm field.

15. Andreas Seidel

Andreas Seidel Member

That sounds like good news - the press got it right for once. And even better - nobody even harassing you? [​IMG] Sounds too good to be true! Maybe people are starting to see reenactment as a valid hobby...

16. panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere Member

I just got back from my event today and I'm dead tired, but I still have enough energy to right about it. I'm not doing a regular report yet, but I will. Right now I'm just saying a few things about it.

I have no idea how many rounds I fired today, it was alot. Well, the americans outnumbered us big time, but we still gave them one good fight, it wasn't a very clear battle. It ended up breaking up into small unit actions and no one knew where anyone was. At one point was I was returning to the battle after getting more ammo, I was captured by americans from the 1st div. Another thing that happened today which was pretty cool, I got to use a mg42 for a little while. Latter I'll put all this together into a story.

Also I bought myself an heer zeltquater, so I finally have some cammo to wear.

17. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Lucky so and so, I dont ahve another event until january :( . On the other hand I have a load of camo, M44 tunic (peas dot), Italian camo trousers etc. How do you post images on this forum??? I have a load of pics from a photoshoot I attended a while back you may like to see.

18. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

About the only thing I can contribute here is that on occasion I do take my AC coded 1943 Walther P-38 out on the firing range.

Even rarer, I take my 1898 Krag Carbine out on the range.

As yet, I havent taken my 1936 S-42 K-98 with Ansteckmagazin (holds 25 rounds of 8x57 Mauser) but I am looking forward to firing it someday.

[ 21 December 2001: Message edited by: C.Evans ]</p>

19. Andreas Seidel

Andreas Seidel Member

Carl, how do you like the P38/P1? My experience is that it's a good gun (and I even like the look!) but it wears out very quickly. That's why all the ones in the German army are only about 10-15 years old (for comparison, the G3s are up to 30 years old!!). Also almost nobody in the army can shoot with a pistol.

We're replacing the P1 with the P8 now, which is a much better gun, but of course doesn't have "flair" of the old one! [​IMG]

Stefan: I may be joining you for your January battle.... still have to see if I can get things organised.

20. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hello Andreas. I love firing the P-38 I have. This pistol is many time much more accurate to fire than say the P-08, it is also my favorite German Army Pistol.

I have never tried the P-1, even though its like you pointed out just a newer version of the P-38.

The P-8 is new to me, i've not heard of that model. What happened to the Walther P-5? those were supposed to be excellent Walthers. Here in the states, a Walther P-5 will list for about $750.00 up to just under $1,500.00.

I like my P-38 for several reasons.

1) Less likely to jam--unlike the P-08.
    2) Easier to operate.
    3) Better balancing.
    4) Much more accurate then the P-08.
    5) The P-38 fits perfect in my right hand, as the Luger fits well but is a bit off balanced.
    6) Nice P-38's are easy to find and at decent prices.
    7) The magazines are of a more practicable design than the Luger mags.
    8) The P-38 when fired doesnt "jump" as much as a Luger does.
    9) Spare parts are easier to find and much cheaper in price than Luger parts--at least around here where I am living.
    10) Where I aim the P-38 at--I hit my target with much more accuracy. Lugers are more difficult to "control", for instance: If a target was standing say about 10 meters away from me and I fired at the center--chances are I will hit center, or close. Now with a Luger, if I aimed at the same target from the same distance abd fired, the lift of the Lugers barrel is so much more than the P-38 that I would not hit the center--rather I would hit the targets forehead.

Now if I could only get my mitts on a G-3 rifle

:D