Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Age of Empires

Discussion in 'Other WarGames' started by Joe, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Joe

Joe Ace

Just a quicky-how many of you play any of this series? I just re-installed No.III yesterday, along with the warchiefs expansion pack.
    It can get a bit fiddly, as you can only select 50 units at a time, so large armies are very hard to control. But it still fun.

Some of the cheats are hilarious too. Type in "where's that axe?" to get this huge statue of George Washington that crushes everything. :D
    "tuck tuck tuck" spawns a massive monster truck called tommy.

2. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

isn't there one which gives you a prosche (or something like that) with some machine guns?

3. Joe

Joe Ace

That would be Age of Empires II The age of kings.
    And another one can give you a naked guy who can run very fast.

4. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

I love AOE II. AOE III I did not like at all. The maps are small and the games don't last long. With AOE II I have yet to see the same map and a very large area to move around. Have not used the cheats. I was very disappointed with AOE III

5. James777

James777 Member

Aaah...fellow AOE fans , ive been playing AOEll for longer than i care to remember..much to her consternation.
    I tried AOEl and didnt much like it or any of the other "GOD" games as they were known.
    AOElll was way too confusing and for want of a better word..close up , wasnt anything like good old AOEll so i went back to ll.

I dont much like using the cheats in gameplay other than to see the fun they invoke,nothing like tearing about the countryside in a fast car equipped with twin machine guns..that'll clear a forest of workers quicker than grease off a hot griddle.
    Heres a tip i employ when i play the harder levels , before upgrading to the castle age send workers across the land to steal gold and stone from the enemies land , steal the resources and use the stone to defend your area while keeping your untouched stock.
    This makes it difficult for them to build defences and large well equiped armys..like yours will be (hahaha) furthermore it drives the enemy to attempt to come steal yours..difference is your aware of that and have an army in wait or better yet a guard tower fully manned.They will endlessly come to the slaughter while you farm the land at leisure.

Leave them a little gold so they can continue to exist , if you take it all they just give up without much of a fight , let them keep some , usually a deposit of gold is near the castles and youd get shot trying to take it so let them have that,just enough for an army which you'll easily overcome.

Watch out for the trade wagons , if you weaken an enemy and they trade amongst each other it'll replenish them, destroy the trade wagons before invading with an army.
    Another fun thing is when you do destroy an enemy castle and the king comes out , build a stone wall around him , have a worker handy with the army.Keep him imprisoned while you go take on the next.
    Eventually you'll have all the enemy kings in a cell but one , when you kill the last remaining king or even destroy his castle the games over.

6. Herakles

Herakles Member

Hmm James. You have clearly devoted much time to the game.

I found the series interesting and well worth playing though historically they are a bit wobbly.

But no game comes close to Diablo! :p

7. James777

James777 Member

Aye ..mebbes a bit too much time..sigh.. i hardly go near it these days,i still have my 2 original copies and id guess ive had them a while.I play one good session maybe once a year now , takes days to finish if no cheating involved.
    Its the only game i have or kept i should say , i had hundreds at one time.
    Mind you i did cop a ps2 wireless lately and bought up some classics like doom and road rash,medal of honor series 5 games there, a bunch others im keeping for the long cold winter ahead.
    Ive never heard of Diablo , ill go have a look on IGN to see if its covered by playstation,it really is more fun using that with a big telly rather than a computer screen.

8. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

:eek::eek:
    Blasphemy! *starts sprinkling holy water on James* You shall die a sinner! You must now go out and buy Diable and Diablo II and play until you can see no more! Until that time, you are banished from the forums! :eek::eek: Thou shall write "I Shall Play Diable Until My Eyes Bleed" 1,000,000 times before thou is allowed back here!

And to think, they're even making a Diable III right now that looks like it is going to be AWESOME!

9. Herakles

Herakles Member

A Diablo III? OMG! :eek:

10. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

*dies*

*recovers. slowly*

:eek::eek:

I must educate the masses! There is a reason they call me the Gaming Guru after-all!

Ask, and ye shall receive!

Diablo III - for the unbelievers!

Herectics! All of you! I shall we holding weekly "...in the Gaming World" classes, every Friday night. PM me for paypal information. :rolleyes:

11. James777

James777 Member

Hahaha that made me laugh Mussolini ...but seriously..isnt Diablo just a dungeons and dragons game ?Thats what i gleaned from the review...shudder
    Am i not far better off playing Doom on a 4 feet wide tv ?

Medal of honor is also superb as is return to wolfenstein even if i do like the old 386 pc version better.
    Ahh..things were so much simpler then..and all this was green fields (waves hand around keyboard )

If im going to be cast asunder anyway i might as well tell you i like playing Muthatruckers and crazy taxi too..Jaws as well,its cool cos you play the shark.
    Need for speed hot pursuit,PGA tour..heck i even play lemony snickets great misadventure if truth be told.
    Had enough yet ? I got more and even more mundane titles.

12. Herakles

Herakles Member

"just a dungeons and dragons game?" Oh dear me. Back to your Playstation James.

I just hope the new Diablo doesn't have anything as hard as the Arreat Summit in the Hell level.

13. James777

James777 Member

Playstation is cool man , i was a devoted PC gamer for years..then i seen the light.
    Walk to the light Herakles..you know you want to..to the light ..the beautiful beautiful light

You get to be Jaws and eat peeps right off the beach : )

14. Falcon Jun

Falcon Jun Ace

The Diablo series is not an ordinary hack and slash game. The series has an outstandingly strong storyline and plot. The twist in Diablo 1 and how Diablo 2 continues the storyline is, for me, highly intriguing, especially in relation to the hero of Diablo 1 and what happens to him/her in Diablo 2. Though the Diablo series is an RPG, it is not part of the Dungeons and Dragons universe.

My gang and I are eagerly looking forward to the release of Diablo 3.
    And Master Gaming Guru, I humbly beg your indulgence for taking this chance to give my comment. Be kind to this lowly padawan because as he waits for Diablo 3, he spends his time bashing enemy heroes (or villains) in D.O.T.A. as either the Dragon Knight, Traxex, Centaur Warchief, Razor, or Lich. As a dormant avid player of the Diablo series, I just can't help myself. I had to give my two cents worth. Begging your indulgence, Master Gaming Guru.

15. Paulverisor64

Paulverisor64 Member

I've not played the game in a while, but I spent much more time playing Age II than Age III. In my opinion as well Age II was a much better game. I loved the epic battles. We used to play the game at lunchtime at work starting from Age I up to the Age II game.

My gripe with any of the series is that the AI at times was flat out stupid.

Even though I have not spent a lot of time with the Company of Heroes game I would call it a much better game in a similar genre.

16. Joe

Joe Ace

They really should make another AOE II-ish game but with III's graphics.

17. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Totally agree.