Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Air Ministry Shadow Factories

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by tigerphantasm, May 28, 2019.

1. tigerphantasm

tigerphantasm New Member

I am researching some information I picked up about secret maintenance depots during WW2.
    I am after information in regards to a supposed Halifax maintenance depot that was located in a building disguised as the Maida Vale Ice Cream factory.
    This building was probably located in Dartmouth on the Maida Vale Road, which according to 1940 maps had a large industrial unit which is still there today.
    I would really appreciate any information/pictures that may be around as the family I am researching for are trying to figure out what their Father did during the war as he kept the secret till his death last month.
    All they know is that he was an engineering apprentice for Rolls Royce and Lagando and when war broke out was sent to this "ice cream" factory to work on Halifax bombers and long range fuel tanks for Mosquitos

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I can't help you, but you should cross-post on our sister site ww2talk.com. They have a more British outlook and you may get more answers to your queries. Good luck, and make sure you keep us informed of your progress.