Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Airborne on Noemfoor island

Discussion in 'Land Warfare in the Pacific' started by Jet, Jan 11, 2003.

1. Jet

Jet Member

In July 1944 an American parachute drop was made on island of Noemfoor (roughly 100 miles from New Guinea) to support amphibious landings. The airborne's mission was to capture airfields in a five day campaign to rid the island of Japanese soldiers. I believe that there was little opposition and casualties were light.
    I would just like to know one thing. Does anyone know the airborne division that was involved in the drop? Any information would be great.
    If anyone has any questions about the Noemfoor campaign please ask. Thanks

2. Deep Web Diver

Deep Web Diver Member

The information I found is that the airborne unit was the 503rd Parachute Infantry Regiment. I hope this helps.

- - - - - - - - - -

http://www.thedropzone.org/pacific/noemfoor.html

Jump on Noemfoor

On July 3, 1944, the first battalion of the 503rd Parachute Infantry Regiment jumped on Noemfoor Island, a small island off the western coast New Guinea. The Parachute Regiment was part of a reserve force that was sent to reinforce the 158th RCT that landed on the Island a few days earlier and was encountering stiff resistance from Noemfoor’s Japanese garrison.

During mid-May, Noemfoor Island indirectly became part of General MacArthur’s westward advance on New Guinea. Prior to the landing on Noemfoor, the 41st Infantry Division was fighting tooth and nail on the tiny island of Biak, which contained three strategically located airfields. Fighting on Biak was savage. Waiting for the 41st to travel inland, the outnumbered Japanese garrison counter-attacked in force with tanks and forced the 41st back to the shoreline. Fighting was prolonged on Baik for several weeks since the Japanese were able to secretly ferry reinforcements by barge at night from nearby Noemfoor Island. Once the mystery behind the origin of the reinforcements was discovered, MacAuthor ordered that Noemfoor be taken.

- - - - - - - - - -

http://corregidor.org/503_abbott/503.htm

A Condensed History of the 503rd Parachute Regimental Combat Team

Two rifle Battalions of the 503d Regiment jumped on the Island of Noemfoor off the coast of Dutch, New Guinea early in July 1944, followed by an amphibious landing by the other rifle Battalion a few days later. The Regiment was employed in the elimination of the Japanese garrison on that Island. Airfields constructed on Noemfoor after its capture played a significant role in supporting the advance of Allied troops from New Guinea to the Philippines. Sergeant Ray E. Eubanks was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor, posthumously, for his actions on Noemfoor.

[​IMG]

[ 11. January 2003, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: Crapgame ]

3. Jet

Jet Member

Thanks for the info Crapgame.
    There was also another drop on the town of Haye in New Guinea where American parachutists managed to capture 20, 000 or so Japanese that were fleesing the Australians. It was the first airborne drop of the Pacific theatre. By chance was the 503rd PIR (involved on the Noemfoor island jump) involved in that jump?

4. Doc Raider

Doc Raider Member

I'm not sure about regements, but I know the 11th Airborne Div. was the only one in the Pacific. It was also in New Guinea, and had ties to the development of the 1st Air Cav. in Vietnam as the 11th air assult division.