Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

AKM Militaria purchase missing

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Diesel, Mar 13, 2021.

1. Diesel

Diesel New Member

I purchased a WW II German mortar shell in late October. Contacted seller after one month when item didn’t arrive. He said to wait and due to pandemic and US postal issues I felt this was reasonable. Waited several more months and couldn’t get response from seller. Finally at four months and no item seller told me I had assumed a risk for shipping from UK to US. His web site had No such warnings at the time. Now he has warnings posted. Adrian told Me he would Send refund. Two weeks and I still
    Have not received my item or my refund. Adrian not responding to my emails.
    BUYERS BEWARE. MANY SIMILAR EXPERIENCES POSTED ON WEB. I WOULD SHOP ELSEWHERE.

2. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

Thanks for the info.

3. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

I've bought several very good items from AKM. But only face-to-face at militaria fairs. I'm not singling out this dealer - decades of experience in collecting militaria has made me believe that the least disappointing way of doing business is to hand over the cash with my left hand as the item itself is in my right hand.

Apologies if I sound cynical.

Diesel likes this.
  4. Takao

Takao Ace

None necessary...AKM ceased international deliveries in November,2020 because of too many problems - mostly with customs.

5. Takao

Takao Ace

AFAIK, the buyer does not assume the burden unless, the shipper gives prompt notice, that the items/s are shipped, allowing the buyer to possibly insure the item for loss.

I'd say check with a lawyer, but lawyer fees will probably outweigh the cost of the item.

Diesel likes this.
  6. Diesel

Diesel New Member

Appreciate your insight. I’m brand new to the hobby and have learned a hard lesson. Appreciate the help.

Martin Bull likes this.
  7. Martin Bull

Militaria collecting of any kind is a rewarding hobby, but as time goes by it's got harder and harder as items become scarcer.

Fortunately, ordnance ( shells, ammo, grenades etc ) are difficult to fake but have their own challenges such as postage, International shipping etc. People see a grenade and freak out.

The advice is always research, research and more research ! Forums such as this one, WRF ( War Relics Forum ) and others are really helpful and also can give tips about dealers to use - and avoid. Nowadays even top-notch dealers can be caught out by fakes ; they're not all crooks. The best way to buy IMO is at a fair ( or gunshow in the US ). You just can't beat closely studying the item, looking the dealer in the ey for a deal, and handing over the cash for the actual item you're getting.

Kai-Petri and Diesel like this.
  8. Martin Bull

There has just been a 'lively' discussion regarding this dealer on another respected militaria-collecting forum. Suffice to say that the same conclusions were reached.

Caveal Emptor !