Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

All things Aussie Rules...

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by CAC, Jan 18, 2024.

1. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Couldn't find a dedicated thread for AFL, so i thought i'd start one with this story today...

A celebration of a long-awaited and rather spectacular goal in the Northern Territory - ABC News
    [​IMG]

This is the AFLW obviously, who have to play before or after the men's season (there are just so many grounds to play on).
    The blue and gold team are the Wanderers Football Club - My Second club side. The Eagles.
    upload_2024-1-19_10-20-11.png

USAFL has the DC Eagles - (Taken from the West Coast Eagles)
    [​IMG]
    DC Eagles
    [​IMG]

West Coast Eagles
    [​IMG]

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

"Aussie Rules" is my favorite oxymoron. :D

CAC likes this.
  3. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

I’ve heard some Americans ask what the black band on players arms in some games are…Some say it’s to look cool??
    No a team will wear a black tape arm band if someone affiliated to the club dies.

Biak, Half Track and OpanaPointer like this.
  4. OpanaPointer

Not everybody is that clueless. Here the police wear a black tape across their badges when a fellow officer dies.

Half Track and CAC like this.
  5. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Channel Four here used to show Aussie rules a lot of years ago. Could never get into it.

6. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Surprising Gordon…it has its roots in Gaelic football & Marngrook (ancient Aboriginal football played with a wombat skin ball) - I watch ‘Americans watching AFL for the first time) - And quickly understand what people think and don’t understand) They then watch AFL explained and then they want to watch a game…and then, without exception, they get hooked and it becomes (usually takes a few weeks) their favourite game ‘Why have I not seen this before!’ Is a common response. Another common response is that the world should play this game…
    About 32 days before the 2024 season starts this year, my team the Collingwood Magpies will start the year Premiers, having won last year’s Grand Final.

NFL and NHL fan tries to understand Aussie Rules…

This guy took a while to choose a team, wanting to know the fans and personality of each team first…His final decision was the Brisbane Lions - And chose Collingwood as his second team because American Mason Cox plays for the Pies.
    So, in his first year watching AFL who made the Final? Brisbane and Collingwood. He was stoked!
    The great game started in 1858 - predating most games that observers say AFL has borrowed from…Nope.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2024
  7. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Gordon this bloke is Scottish…He got hooked by AFL watching AFL biggest hits…Being a Scot he was visibly excited by the violence, and within a couple of months it was his favourite game.

8. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Conan travels to Australia and visits the Sydney Swans at training…Funny man.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2024
  9. GRW

Think it was the antics of the two linesmen (dressed all in white, like bakers) on the goal line every time someone scored that put a lot of people here off the game. Same channel used to show Kabaddi (?) games from India, and that died a death too.
    Never mind, Six Nations rugby has just started, and the Superbowl is this Sunday. :cool:

10. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

I think the Scots would excel in Aussie Rules…We have a bunch of Irish players in the leagues

Interesting comment…Aussie Rules footy was invented to keep cricketers fit during the off season (winter)…That is why the Grand Final is played at the MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground) Also known as ‘The G’.
    This is a cricket umpire
    upload_2024-2-6_3-25-25.jpeg

so not surprising the goal umpires in Aussie Rules looked like this…Both wearing the ‘lab coat’.

This back in the day when the code was called VFL Victorian Football League…Every state and Territory had one but we all followed the VFL too. In the 90s it became a truly Australian competition and became the AFL.
    This is a modern goal umpire…
    upload_2024-2-6_3-30-22.jpeg
    And this
    upload_2024-2-6_3-31-4.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2024
  11. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Another thing that confuses first time watchers is the goal umpires pulling out a flag or two and waving them about after a score…This is not only tradition going back when a field,could be a as long as a kilometre…
    Both goal umpires must write down the score and then they are both compared after the game for accuracy. One umpire can’t see what the score was (a goal or point) way down the other end…So the goal umpire pulls out one flag for a point and two flags for a goal, then they both write it into a little book. The modern field is still easily big enough for the umpire down the other end to not see what happened so the flag waving remains.
    A goal…even a bit of semaphore for the punters.
    upload_2024-2-6_3-36-5.jpeg

12. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

upload_2024-2-6_3-45-19.jpeg
    VFL goal umpire back in the day…Same as Cricket umpire…Not a coincidence

Last edited: Feb 5, 2024
  13. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

GRW likes this.
  14. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Cricket umpire
    upload_2024-2-6_3-56-40.jpeg

15. GRW

That's close- except I remember two of them standing on the goal line and simultaneously pointing down the pitch to indicate a goal, like the Blues Brothers doing 'Stand by your man' lol.

16. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

And I bet you Scottish mob pulled the piss mercilessly…Bit of drama what’s wrong with that. I genuinely find it interesting that something like the goal umpires put an entire country off a blood sport like AFL…Especially back then.

17. GRW

I dare say it has its fans, but can honestly say I've never met any. Even in the local Aussie-owned Aussie theme bar it was never mentioned, never mind shown on the telly.
    Didn't actually think about that before.

18. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Here where we actually play Football also pay homage.

Copied & pasted :
    ""The Chicago Bears and Detroit Lions are two of the NFL's oldest franchises, and both have made it a point to pay homage to their storied legacies.""
    Both teams have a series of three initials on the sleeves of their jerseys. The Bears' jerseys feature the initials "GSH," while the Lions' sleeves are adorned with the initials "WCF."
    In the case of the Bears' GSH, the initials are those of George S. Halas, who founded and owned the franchise.'.
    The Lions, the "WCF" on their jerseys stands for William Clay Ford, the grandson of Ford Motor Company founder Henry Ford. He owned the Lions for more than 50 years before he passed away in 2014. ""

What do ‘GSH,’ ‘WCF’ stand for on Bears and Lions’ jerseys? – NBC Sports Chicago

A Black armband is universally a sign of Respect for a fallen compatriot.
    Any 'American' asking such a question should be deported to Russia or some other country but definitely not back 'home'.

CAC likes this.
  19. OpanaPointer

It's something we asked our parents when we were wee little shits.

20. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

AFL is steeped in history…and protected fiercely by the fans who have big say about what happens to their teams. (Henry Ford wasn’t even born when Aussie rules began being played in leagues)

‘Here we actually play football’…I watched a Pom last night in an interview say in NFL only one person is allowed to kick the fucking thing…it should be called handball - ‘There’s already a sport called handball’ - Well they should call it throw ball then…Hard to argue with him.

And for the record, Throwing in AFL is a long standing ‘pillar’ No No…Will result in an immediate free kick to the opposition.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2024