Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Almost Newbie reporting again

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by garyrnorth, Feb 16, 2019.

1. garyrnorth

garyrnorth New Member

Hello from Ohio,
    1st army 1971 to 1973 ...last year of the lottery but I signed up for the draft...I was number 168
    and the draft cutoff was 165 darn...
    Oh well it was a time in my life that I would want to live over even though I hated it at the time.
    Anyway I registered here back in October I guess and asked about the National archives and how I had
    requested information on my Uncle from WWII and how long it would take for the Archives to respond.
    Computer crashed and I am back today not knowing the correct category to pose this new question to!

Question
    I received a letter just now from the National archives stating that they had found my Uncles service record but
    that it had been located in the most damaged,portion of the archives. damaged from the 1973 fire. They could supply his service record for $70.00 but they could not supply his separation document. (singular)
    Is there a chance that his souvenir registration form might not have been damaged and would be included in the available
    documents? in 2007 it was called a DD form 603 I do not know what previous version would be.
    I loved my Uncle but I would hate to put out a chunk of change if what I really wanted would not be included.
    It sounds as though the souvenir document would not be included or was the Archives just saying that his DD form 214
    would not be available?
    Also is there any chance that if I drove to St Louis I might find more information than by mail?
    It would be nice to know what theatres he participated in.
    What was the actual war souvenir form number used in the mid 1940's.? What would it look like?
    I guess I have 3 or 4 questions here but they are sincere and any help would be much appreciated.
    Sgt Gary

2. Biak

Biak Adjutant

You might try the local American Legion in his home town. Piecing together lost records can be discouraging. But you'll be surprised what you can find if you just keep digging. Old newspapers articles, photos in uniform etc.
    I think they were encouraged to take a copy of the DD214 to the county courthouse too. Some did, most probably didn't. Good luck.

3. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Since they quoted $70, they know that there are 6 or more pages that they can copy. They should also be able to determine the type of documents. I would reply asking for a list of the documents they are able to provide. As for going there yourself, I'm not sure you will find something that they haven't found. However, it may be worth it for the experience.

4. The_Historian

The_Historian Pillboxologist Patron   WW2|ORG Editor

Welcome back!