Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

ALSACE MAPS

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by kurtmansley, May 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. kurtmansley

kurtmansley New Member

Hi all , This is my first post . I am looking for period , 1:50,000 scale maps of Alsace , more specifically covering the areas of the Alsatian Plain including Hagenau . I am researching the Nordwind battles in late 44/45 . Thanks , Kurt .
    This is an excellent site by the way ! :cool:

Otto likes this.
  2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Are you looking for physical maps or virtual representation of them. also ar eyou lloking for French, German or American issues. I have a few in my archives I will need to look them up though.

4. kurtmansley

kurtmansley New Member

Hi Skipper , I am looking for digital maps . I have access to " Lage Frankreich 1945 " but it is 1:100,000 scale I think . 1:50,000 or smaller scale , period maps is what I really need . I am creating a war game / simulation of Nordwind battles .

5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I will have a look and see if I scan a couple of a Hageneau area map . No promise but I might have a few things . We also have an Alsacian member here, he might be able to help.

6. kurtmansley

kurtmansley New Member

Das ist sehr gud , danke . I have been searching for detailed period maps of this area for over 12 months ! :panzer:

7. Takao

Takao Ace

8. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

The Trailblazers website map page, which Takao provided links for, has two German maps for Dec 1944 and Jan 1945. However, I believe they may be the "Lage Frankreich" that the OP mentioned he already had. Their stated scale is 1 : 200000, presumably in kilometers. They do include Haguenau, though.

9. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

You can order reproductions of the standard GSGS 1:25,000, 1:50,000, and 1:100,000 map series from either the British National Archives at Kew or the U.S. National Archives at College Park. Those are the maps used by both the Commonwealth and American forces and their allies during the war. However, you may run into difficulty identifying exactly which sheet you require, so may need to engage a researcher to look them up for you (the Archives generally do not provide such a service, but it always pays to check first if they will).

10. kurtmansley

kurtmansley New Member

11. kurtmansley

kurtmansley New Member

Thanks but I already have access to that excellent site .

12. kurtmansley

kurtmansley New Member

That's great , I will check it out , thank you very much .

13. kurtmansley

kurtmansley New Member

Hi all , still waiting for a reply from NARA . No luck with British Archives . I have been reading through the conversations on this forum and it appears there was an energetic research project covering the fighting on the Alsacian Plain . It looks like one or two members are using period maps , I would very much like to speak to them if they are available , I don't mind parting with cash for access to these maps . :ac_me262:

14. kurtmansley

kurtmansley New Member

Kameraden , I have finally found the period maps I have been searching for , the Royal Geographical Society has excellent archives that contain all the maps I could ever need ! Hurrah , just a shame it will cost me more than I budgeted for . I f anyone is interested in how I get on with this project I will keep you all posted . By the way , the game system I am designing the scenario's for is called " Command Ops 2 " . If anyone is interested they can download the core game for free from the " Lock-n-Load " games site , it is worth checking out people . :bullet: