Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Ambassador Grew sent Pearl Harbor attack warning

Discussion in 'Pearl Harbor' started by DogFather, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Devilsadvocate

Devilsadvocate Ace

I jut recently read Edwin Layton's book, "And I Was There". Layton repeatedly points out that Kimmel (and Short) were denied certain information pertaining to the progress, or lack thereof, in the negotiations between Washington and the Japanese ambassador. Layton claims that had Kimmel known just how bad these negotiations were going, he would have realized that an attack was imminent. John Costello, the British historian who wrote a volume about the Pacific War, has also written articles claiming essentially the same thing.

Layton's brief seems to be that Kimmel somehow would have intuited that the Japanese were going to attack Pearl Harbor had he only known that the attack was going to happen within a certain time period. This does not seem a logical argument to me. Kimmel's job was to be ready for an attack at any time, not just when it was judged to be most likely. Certainly an astute reader of the newspapers in early December, 1941, could have predicted a possible Japanese attack within days. The war warnings received from Stark were enough, I would think, to cause a person of average intelligence to onclude that an attack was very likely within the next few days.

To me, it seems that Kimmel's failure was much more the inability to imagine a Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor specifically, even though he must have known it was entirely within the realm of technical possibility. Kimmel was not alone in this; Washington was so focused on the known Japanese preparations for an attack on Malaya, that they seemed to completely forget the possibility of such an attack. However, it must be said that Washington had a lot more to worry about than just Pearl Harbor, while Kimmel's duties began and ended with Pearl Harbor.

I do agree that Washington's abrupt change of policy regarding the Philippines left Short short of patrol aircraft; the 35 B-17's, sent to MacArthur, in hindsight, could have been put to much better use on Oahu. But it does seem true, as well, that neither Kimmel nor Short made the best use of the patrol aircraft they did have.

What always fascinated me about the Pearl Harbor attack was the contrast between Halsey's and Kimmel's apparent attitude. When Halsey took the Enterprise task force to reinforce Wake, his orders left no doubt what would happen if the task force encountered Japanese forces. Halsey's guns were manned, his CAP flew fully armed, and his scouts carried 500-pound bombs. Kimmel, on the other hand, seemed to think we were still at peace and never gave his officers and men any reason to believe it would be anything but business as usual; to me, THAT was his most significant failing.

DogFather likes this.
  2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

The trips to Midway and Wake were into "Indian Territory". Halsey didn't seem worried when he was near Hawaii.

3. Devilsadvocate

Devilsadvocate Ace

Wake was, less so for Midway, but within days the Indians were going to be "in the fort". Interestingly, Halsey's orders about being on a war footing were issued as they left Pearl, a considerable distance from either Wake or Midway. My dad was a pilot in Enterprise's scouting squadron, and said the crew wasn't all that surprised, knowing Halsey, but they wondered if they would encounter any Japanese.

4. OpanaPointer

But I have found no indication that Halsey thought that at all likely. His orders are on the Mythology webpage below (in the missing carriers file.)

It is still amusing to think that Halsey and Brown were in the conspiracy, as they had to be given that it was their decision to leave the BBs at Pearl (something Kimmel signed off on, but didn't have an option one way or the other.) Bill Halsey setting up BBs, including ones he'd served one, as targets for a political ploy. Allowing officer friends to be killed just so we MIGHT get into the war in Europe by the back door. This is disturbingly stupid and I have often been relieved that I don't usually have these conversations in person. The warrior in me prowls around the edge of the campfire enough as it is.

5. DogFather

DogFather Member

Yes I agree, it would be "disturbingly stupid". This is why I keep saying,
    I don't believe there was a conspiracy. I don't believe such a vast
    conspriracy, could have been kept quiet, after the PH disaster took place.
    I also don't believe a sitting US President would do such a thing.

6. OpanaPointer

Then why do you keep putting forward the conspiracy mantras like you believe them? You keep bringing up points that have been discredited for years and doing it deadpan. You message is mixed professionally.

7. DogFather

DogFather Member

I didn't know, believing in conspiracy was a profession. I guess if you can
    write books and make money, you could call it a profession.

Here is my understanding, of some of the thinking at this time, both in PH and Washington. The Japs were busy initiating Southwest Pacific operations, to get the oil and other natural resources, needed for their war machine, this was something they had to do. Otherwise, they would
    run out of oil and other strategic resources. So, it was felt at the time, this would be their priority.

US Naval Intelligence and the War Department did not believe Japan was capable of attacking in Southwest Asia and launching a major operation, like the PH attack, so far to the east, all at the same time.

The ruse the Japs used, leaving the radio equipment near Japan and
    broadcasting fake signals, fooled US intelligence, again both in PH and
    Washington. US Naval Intelligence, told Kimmel they were tracking the
    the Jap carriers and they were still near home waters. A commander
    needs to be able, at least to some degree, to rely on the info given him.

In addition, and most decisively, the US and Great Britain underestimated the quality and ability of Japanese pilots, aircraft, and carriers operations.

Yes commanders should also be ready, for the unexpected as well. But
    these under estimations, took place in both PH and Washingto DC!

8. OpanaPointer

DogFather, the raid on Pearl was one of the best sneak attacks in recorded history. That's why it is so famous. Part of the reason it worked was because the Japanese did thing that were unexpected by ANYBODY.

Refueling at sea, they hadn't done this before, and there was no indication that they were working on it. They fostered this impression by blatant NOT doing any research were it could be seen.

Modified torpedoes for Pearl. Clever modifications allowed the torpedoes to be dropped in water ~1/2 as deep as Toranto. Nobody expected that.

Massing their carriers for the attack. Nobody had used SIX carriers in one attack before, I don't think there were ever six carriers in one formation before. Genda saw newsreel footage of four USN carriers and that inspired him.

Second guessing the commanders at the time might be fun, but it's not a reason to call "foul". I can make a case from the Hearings that they should have been very worried about an attack on Seattle. The "signs" are there.

They can't guard everything, and the Philippines were on the front line, so they got what meager resources we had to spare. And they did the best they could with what they had. Nobody could make a justifiable claim that they saw the attack coming, because there was no good indication of such. One officer at the Hearings claimed he'd predicted the attack, but recanted almost immediately, saying he was mistaken about saying anything prior to Dec. 7th.

9. Devilsadvocate

Devilsadvocate Ace

First of all, I will state categorically, I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT THERE WAS ANY CONSPIRACY AMONG US GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS TO DENY INTELLIGENCE INFORMATION TO ADMIRAL KIMMEL, OR THAT THE US CARRIERS WERE DELIBERATELY REMOVED FROM THE SCENE.

However, my father was aboard the Enterprise as an SBD pilot at that time and his impression as later conveyed to me, was that Halsey was deadly serious and would have undoubtedly launched an immediate attack on any Japanese vessels encountered. Whether or not Halsey thought such an encounter likely is entirely conjectural.

10. OpanaPointer

DF, we're talking about two different things.

I agree that Halsey said, "If I see so much as a sampan, I'll blow it out of the water." However, Halsey wasn't concerned about an attack once he got close to Hawaii. Your father was probably sent ahead of Big E when the squadrons returned to Hawaii (and got shot up by nervous soldiers and sailors). Removing the planes from a carrier makes it a big barn, not an offensive weapon. I think we can agree that Halsey wouldn't have removed his attack weapons if he felt threatened.

11. Devilsadvocate

Devilsadvocate Ace

Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't, as I said, that is entirely conjectural.

You are correct about my dad; he flew his aircraft off while the Enterprise was still at sea. That was SOP at the time, so the air group could continue practicing flight operations while their carrier was docked for refit and replenishment. As for feeling threatened, the agreement was that while at Pearl Harbor, the Navy's ships were to be protected by the Army's aircraft and AAA. In any case, the Enterprise was only five or six hour's steaming when the strike craft were flown off; that is a very small window of opportunity for any attackers. If necessary, the air group could be quickly re-embarked in only a couple of hours. It's my opinion that, whether he was worried or not, Halsey was willing to take such a small risk in the interest of operational expediency.

12. OpanaPointer

It's not conjectural unless you have something to support your position. Sorry.

As for air ops, they continue that pattern today. It's easier to fly a plane off a carrier than any other way.

13. Devilsadvocate

Devilsadvocate Ace

Not be rude, but it was you who asserted knowledge of what Halsey was thinking at the time. Unless you present some evidence that he expressed his thoughts to someone else, or in writing, then Halsey's exact state of mind is most certainly conjectural. Or do you claim to be a mind reader among your many other talents?

Yes, which is why the act of flying off his strike aircraft is not a reliable guide to what Halsey may, or may not, have been thinking.

14. OpanaPointer

You could read his testimony before Congress, and the Navy Board of Inquiry, like I have. That should give you a feel for his attitude.

15. Devilsadvocate

Devilsadvocate Ace

I have; Halsey made no comments on what his state of mind was regarding the likelihood of being attacked near Pearl Harbor.

You seem to think you are the only person who has bothered to read the documents which relate to Pearl Harbor.

16. OpanaPointer

Never said I was the only one, but I have been reading this material for forty plus years, so I have a gestalt of information from which I work.

And, if I may ask, do you always have to be combative, or can we just have a conversation?

17. Devilsadvocate

Devilsadvocate Ace

Odd, I almost asked you the same thing in my last post.

18. lwd

lwd Ace

Neither one of you seems to suffer fools lightly and recently most who have challenged you fit in that category. Looks to me like you kind of got in the habit of responding in that fashion.

19. Tristan Scott

Tristan Scott Member

I think it's important to realize also that most American naval commanders didn't believe PH was a target was because they seriously did not believe the japanese could pull it off. Most admirals were tied to naval doctrine that told them that such a major undertaking so far from base would end in disaster.
    IOW they didn't think we could do it so they sure as heck didn't think the Japanese could do. The IJN was held in low regard by most Americans before PH.

20. OpanaPointer

I would say you're half right. The USN admirals didn't think it was logistically possible. However, you should remember the reason Halsey and Brown didn't take battleships with them to Wake and Midway. "If we have to run we don't want to be slowed down. . . " Halsey's statement makes it clear that he thought it possible his force would have to flee an engagement. Doesn't sound like he though the IJN would be a push over to me.

And yes, there were American officers who thought the Japanese were push overs, just as there were Japanese officers who thought the USN was a toy navy, but they were rare in Pacific.