Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Amphibious armour

Discussion in 'Armor and Armored Fighting Vehicles' started by Spartanroller, Oct 15, 2010.

Tags:
?

If you need an amphibious tank, what do you think is the best type?

1. Buoyant Hull

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Strap on Pontoons

75.0%
  3. Flotation Screens

16.7%
  4. Snorkel

8.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Would the last two, the Sherman's equipped with wading stacks, really be considerd amphibious, even by a non-strict definition? If so you need to include the US M3 and M5 series light tanks because they were also fitted with the deep wading stacks. I personally don't think they should be included but will defer to your opinion.

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Agreed. Waders are not swimmers. You have some different issues: completely water tight hull, traction on the bottom, navigation while submerged, discarding stacks, etc., when the far shore is reached, usability in sea-to-shore operations.

3. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

Agree totally - and probably almost all tanks in service have been fitted with waders at some point.

The grey area is the deep snorkelers and tauchpanzers which were designed to fulfil almost the same role as amphibians, certainly the same as the DD tanks, just not floating;

P.S. the OED definition of amphibious tank is one "designed to operate both on land and in water"

Attached Files:

4. OpanaPointer

Considering the messes the track toads get into, their hulls better be tight!

5. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

There are a huge number of stories of when it went wrong in that respect - it happened to a CET on a training exercise when I was in Germany - never knew exactly what the problem had been, think was a faulty escape hatch fastener.

6. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Interesting, I'd like to learn more about these.

7. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

What I understand is that they were designed for Op Sealion, and then used in limited numbers during the crossing of the Bug River at the start of Barbarossa and occasionally later. The same system was then designed to be used by the Maus, except with the addition that tanks would pair up with one on land supplying the other with electricity to the drive through a cable.

A summary here;

Panzer IV als Tauchpanzer

and of the maus system here;

Biggest tank in WWII was called Maus (mouse)

Edit; the biggest problem here is the need for diver reconnaissance of the river bottom - seabeds too although less troublesome I believe

production/modification figures I've found state there were 160 Tauchpanzer III and 60 Tauchpanzer IV.

8. OpanaPointer

There was an unfortunate accident at Aberdeen (Maryland, not UK) back in the early '70s, IIRC. A whole crew lost when the commander went on the wrong side of the marker on the near bank.

9. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

here's the Polish contribution to the amphibious genre, the Pz Inz 130;

Attached Files:

10. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Interesting read, thanks, I learned something today. A question though, the article on the IV stated that the design was successful and I'll buy that concerning the river crossing. I'm not so sure if that would have been so if they had been employed for their initial purpose. I really have doubts if they could have made a successful Channel crossing.
    You wrote:
    That's where I have my greatest doubt, plus how would you navigate while driving on the Channel floor? How would you be able to identify and avoid undersea obstacles? I believe the Channel is 21 miles across at it's narrowest point, that would be quite a feat to survey the bottom and navigate across on the sea floor! While the depth is only 148 feet at the Straights of Dover, I would think that's still water pressure sufficient to cause failure of some of the rubber waterproofing.

BTW, the site you gave had production/conversion figures of 168 III's and 42 IV's but it is an internet source and I'm always a bit leary of taking their info as gospel.
    Thanks again for the info and the interesting topic.

11. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

Definitely the plan wasn't for a full channel crossing - max snorkelling depths are listed as somewhere around 10-12 m - the use in an amph landing would have been much the same as DD tanks - allowing them to get in the water before the actual beach. Not sure what method of launch they would have used - I think crane was the only option although maybe they developed a 'slow sink' technique with some buoyancy bags? (pure SWAG)

Incidentally on in service figures, the actual amount of work needed does not appear to be much, although too much for a field mod i believe - i don't think any truly accurate figures are going to be available as it wasn't really a 'new' vehicle.

12. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

Maybe interesting to add some of the early vehicles;

The Mk IX APC was trialled in Nov 1918 as an amphib and probably was the first working amphibious tank
    The Medium D amphibious which wasn't accepted but apparently was considered fairly practical
    The MacFie amphibious tractor was proposed in 1915, but wasn't ever built
    The French La Licorne prototype
    The French DP-2 of 1930 (which sunk during it's trials and was not apparently pursued further)

Attached Files:

13. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Hey Nigel, great to see you opened an other very interesting Thread! Great work mate!

14. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

You're welcome - let's have some more discussion please, there are so many different aspects to this genre of vehicles and their usage.

Here is one of the other German types designed for Sealion;

The Schwimmpanzer II (two versions - one with several floats and one with a complete lift-on hull);

Note the massive size needed

Attached Files:

15. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

and some more photos of the SwPZII

and two of the SwPz 38 model;

Attached Files:

16. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

some more of the SwPz 38(t), one showing that it could actually drive around with the floats, and the turret weapons were usable although I wouldn't expect they would have been easy to fight from in this configuration.

also shows that there were more than one version of pontoons trialled on this tank as well

Attached Files:

17. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Indeed very massive! But if it was easy to remove i would say that this was the much better way to hadle it than with the DD´s. The LWS was another try too. Not the best but usable.
    [​IMG]

18. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

were any of the LWS's armoured? I haven't found any info on that yet - I always thought not?

And one of the great advantages of the DDs was that they only took up the same amount of space in the landing craft as a normal tank. Also you carried your 'floats' with you, so a truck wasn't needed to follow on behind with them.

Also with the boat hull pontoon designs I don't see you gain much over an identical sized boat, which can then turn round from the beach and go and pick up more tanks - maybe slightly lower COG, but that could be solved easily enough.

19. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Thanks for the elaboration, it now seems more plausible. I do still wonder how they intended to navigate to the beach. I also agree with you that launching would be a bear of a problem.

The numbers aren't really that important, I just didn't know if you'd noticed the difference. I also assumed you may have had a more definative source and would share it with me. Anyway great information and thanks for sharing!

That vehicle at first glance looks similar, well a more primative version of the experimental LVT-6 from the early 1950's.

20. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Very good point!