Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

An S-Boot sinking and reports

Discussion in 'Atlantic Naval Conflict' started by Erich, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Joe, LRusso216 and von Poop like this.
  2. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Enjoyed that. I like these more immediate 'on the spot' contemporary intel reports. Couldn't comment on inaccuracies in this area but I'm often impressed with the thoroughness.

I have a feeling these 'small' craft may be the thing that finally tips me over into a Naval interest; I recently got the Conway book on Fairmile MTBs, & all it's going to take is one more shiny technical book whispering "buy me" from a shop's shelves. :shifty:

Cheers,
    Adam.

LRusso216 likes this.
  3. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

Do you think some of the Germans were actually attempting to supply false information?, a lot of the "inaccuracies" are things the crew must have known to operate the boat effectively.

4. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

As a historian, I have a fascination with original material, so this was quite interesting. I don't know much about the E-boats, but any inaccuracies aside, this interrogation gave me a lot to think about. Thanks for the post.

5. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Gentlemen

yes false information was given out. The early S-booten were not obsolete and in fact many of the earlier boots survived the war, were actually overhauled with the later slightly armored Kalotte and performed very well, light AA was increased, or should say updated with the zwilling 2cm and later 3.7cm I have a host of war time publications, i.e. German covering the S-Booten as well as certain boots and individuals.

a nice prize to have for a good taste is the picture book from Histoire & Collections by Jean-Philippe Dallies-Labourdette : S-Boote German E-boats in action, 1939-1945, translated into English.
    Text has been conveniently "borrowed" by many books published earlier.

ISBN # 2-913903-49-5

watch out Adam I'm gonna make you a beleiver in these little Boots yet

E ~