Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Another DUI Pin ID Needed

Discussion in 'Medals, Insignia, Badges & Recalls' started by adambhoy, Apr 8, 2012.

1. adambhoy

adambhoy Member

Hi all--

I found the attached DUI pin in my grandfather's things recently. He was stationed in Puerto Rico; I know he was in the 25th Artillery, but now it appears he was with a different unit at one time or another as well; this DUI isn't the 25th Arty.

Can someone help me ID it? I am having a tough time even identifying WHICH units were stationed in Puerto Rico, so I need some assistance.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Takao

Takao Ace

Easy enough, that's the DUI of the 7th Field Artillery Regiment(renamed the 7th Field Artillery Battalion in 1940).

The only tie to Puerto Rico that I can think of is that the 7th Field Artillery Battalion was attached to the 16th Infantry Regiment, which formed part the 1st Infantry Division(aka The Big Red One). During the winter of 1941, parts of the 1st Infantry Division practiced amphibious landings near New River, North Carolina and in Puerto Rico.(from Doctor Danger Forward: A World War II Memoir of a Combat Medic Aidman, First Infantry Division" by Allen N. Towne)

While I can't confirm that the 7th Field Artillery Battalion was one of those units that went to Puerto Rico. adambhoy's question makes me think that it is very likely that the 7th was one of those units sent to Puerto Rico to practice landings there.

formerjughead and Slipdigit like this.
  3. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

Could have been from someon who transitioned through the 7th Field Arty or someone who new someone in the 7th Field Arty or he bought the wrong pin at the PX or he could have kept it as "something shiny" before or after going to Puerto Rico. The Army was a pretty small place prior to 1942 and it wouldn't have been unheard of for soldiers to transition through a couple of units during their enlistment. My suggestion is to treat it as an anomoly instead of a clue.

I am sure one of these days, when I am no longer around to answer questions, my son is going to rat sifting through my things and wonder where I came accross half the sh*t I have.

4. adambhoy

adambhoy Member

Thanks for the responses and good info!

Interesting...

My grandfather had a brother who was wounded (supposedly on D-Day). He carried a plate in his head for the rest of his life as a result. I haven't started looking for his records yet, so I have no idea what his unit might have been, but as Takao points out, the 7th FAB was attached to the 16th IR and made the assault on Omaha Beach (1st Battalion, 7th Field Artillery Regiment).

I am wondering if this pin MIGHT have been his.

Obviously that is all conjecture at this point, but it makes more sense than the pin having been my grandfather's.

My dad has often talked about how amazing it was that when these brothers enlisted on the same day, one was sent to Puerto Rico and another went to Normandy.

Thanks again for the help!