Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Another Old Airfield ( ! )

Discussion in 'Air War in the Mediterrean' started by Martin Bull, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Just back from holiday in Tuscany and the highlight ( ;) ) was a close look at Castiglione del Lago airfield.

Built pre-war as a fighter training field for the Regia Aeronautica, it bacame a front-line combat airfield when taken over by the Luftwaffe in September 1943. 4./JG2 flew from here with Bf109G-6s, NSGr.9 operated JU87Ds in the night-attack role from here, and the tactical recon NAGr.11 also operated their Bf109G-6s from Casti.

In late June 1944, as the Germans retreated, all the hangars and many other buildings were mined and destroyed in a series of huge explosions.

Until very recently, the entire site was still officially a 'Zona Militare' and completely fenced-off , although the place was hardly used except for gliding races and a few light aircraft. But now, the Military have given up their claim and the town seems to be restoring some of the buildings for sports use.

The tower still stands as left in 1944, derelict but un-vandalised.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The interior of the tower can be seen....

[​IMG]

A view across the flying field - not too difficult to imagine the Bf109s taking off....

[​IMG]

Battle damage can be seen everywhere on the surviving buildings.....

[​IMG]

My wife did NOT agree that this was the all-time high-point of the holiday..... :( [​IMG]

2. Miller

Miller Member

Fascinating. You lead quite the adventurous life Martin. I hope you keep a scrap book or a journal of some sort covering your travels. How do you find out about all of these historical sites you visit?

3. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Not really adventurous at all - just fascinated by old airfields....

I first saw this place from the road when I drove past in 1999, but entry was strictly off-limits then. I then found some information about Luftwaffe activity there in the book 'Air War Italy 1944-45' by Nick Beale/F. D'Amico/G. Valentini.

I was in the area again in 2001 and managed to sneak inside the gate to take some hurried photos - but this year I had my digital camera and access was unlimited.

The real adventure is persuading my wife of the 'importance' of such - ahem ! [​IMG] - 'forum research' while on vacation.... :D

4. Miller

Miller Member

What on earth else would there be to do in Tuscanny? I was under the impression that visiting old airfields was the main tourist attraction there. ;)

5. TA152

TA152 Ace

I was trying to find some pictures of what the airfield looked like during WWII but I did find some history about the place at this site. They built aircraft there after the war.
    Thanks for the pictures Martin. [​IMG]

http://www.meetingdiprimavera.it/uksite/history.htm