Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Another VC for Iraq

Discussion in 'Military History' started by No.9, Dec 9, 2003.

1. No.9

No.9 Ace

5 Year old springer spaniel is to receive the Dicken Medal, the animals VC, for bravery in Iraq. [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

” Buster, a sniffer dog trained by the Royal Army Veterinary Corps, will receive the medal for locating a hidden cache of arms, explosives and drugs during service in southern Iraq earlier this year.

Buster discovered a cache of ammunition and other items in April during a search in the town of Safwan. A sweep of five buildings by troops had produced nothing when the spaniel was called in.

Within minutes, he found guns, grenades, ammunition, bomb-making equipment, explosives, heroin and cocaine hidden in a wall cavity. A number of Iraqis were detained.

Lt Col Gerald Dineley, an Army spokesman, said: "Buster succeeded where humans failed."

The five-year-old dog is the 60th recipient of the award, created 60 years ago and sometimes referred to as The Animals' Victoria Cross. He will receive his medal from Field Marshal Lord Inge, a former Chief of Defence Staff, at a ceremony at the Imperial War Museum in London in early December. He will be accompanied by his trainer and handler, Sgt Danny Morgan.

The medal, inscribed with the words For Gallantry, has so far been presented to 32 pigeons, 23 dogs, three horses and a cat, all of which were considered to have displayed conspicuous gallantry or devotion to duty.”
    [​IMG]

Meanwhile in London, up to a million pratts turned out in the freezing cold to cheer two bus loads of twots who earned themselves a crock load of money throwing a stupid ball about.

Oooooo………..my heroes :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

No.9

2. Stevin

Stevin Ace

I saw it on TV....Where is Leni Riefenstahl now? You'd think that with today's technology and talent in Britain they would push the British nation towards a state of mass hysteria with an opportunity like this. I was appalled the crowd didn't burst into a 'Land Of Hope And Glory'...

But going back to the main story of this thread;

GO BUSTER! Give that dog a medal for his part of the restauration of Iraq! [​IMG]

3. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Ooooooh, someone is feeling vitriolic. All I can say is at least they weren't footballers ;) .

4. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Yes - rather odd, especially as no-one except Rugby enthusiasts had ever heard of the Rugby World Cup until very recently...

BTW , the peace marchers the other week were bombarded with warnings about possible terrorist threats, bombs, anthrax, nerve gas - police chiefs shaking their heads, politicians advising the protesters to stay at home...Did anyone hear anyone saying the same about yesterday's mass demonstration?? I think it's called 'media management' [​IMG]

5. J Penn

J Penn Member

[​IMG]

Since my dogs already chew on everything including metal, I should get them a banana clip like Buster there has.

That picture also reminds me of the fact that you guys have the best-looking camo. [​IMG]

Congrats to the pooch!

6. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

To be honest, I really don't care about dogs being awarded medals... :rolleyes:

But why did you say ANOTHER [​IMG] in Iraq? Was there any [​IMG] awarded to humans there? :confused:

7. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

It does seem rather odd, to give an animal a medal. I mean its not as if its much of an award so far as the dog is concerned. I'm sure Buster would rather a manky old slipper or box of pedigree chum.

8. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

9. Greenjacket

Greenjacket Member

Was that really necessary?

10. KnightMove

KnightMove Ace

Heroic prestige might help the dog to get everything he likes for his entire life... so it indeed does make sense. [​IMG]

11. KnightMove

KnightMove Ace

Btw No. 9: My dictionary does not contain the words "pratt" and "twot". Ok, I understand these are bad words, but what do they mean?

12. No.9

No.9 Ace

Technically it was a George Cross wasn’t it Freddy?
    http://www.ww2forums.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=39;t=000004

For the rugby players/fans out there, sorry if I got up your noses. I’m quite a-political about rugby, like tennis, snooker, motor racing etc, etc, etc, and also a-enthusiastic. I’m not having a go at the game, players or fans, but the way it’s bollocks hyped by the media and the establishment in order to take people’s minds off the real issues and how utterly cr@p the media and the establishment really are. But, they have long flipped out meaningless MBE’s and OBE’s etc to nunces who ponce about on stage or punt some insignificant object about or just earn themselves a crock load of dosh (by wrecking the lives of innumerable other people). ;)

J, did you hear about the man who let his dog chew on full banana clips? Bred the first self-loading Labrador! :eek: [​IMG]

Simon, only cat to win the award [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

No.9

13. No.9

No.9 Ace

Err…yes Knight, pratt and twot (or twat) are not really swear words and generally refer to silly people. Teacher might raise an eyebrow, but you shouldn’t get sent home over them. ;)

I wouldn’t be relating the whole story if I didn’t say there are connotations with a certain part of the anatomy peculiar to one gender. :eek: There again, ‘Pratt’ is not an uncommon British surname - unfortunate for the bearers.

No.9

14. Deep Web Diver

Deep Web Diver Member

Shouldn't the trainer/handler get the award? He's there with the dog where its dangerous, and he knows it, while the dog doesn't.

15. No.9

No.9 Ace

16. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

George Cross, medals for animals... a rather poor war, isn't it? :rolleyes:

Another question, the last [​IMG] awarded were during the Falklands, I suposse? :confused:

17. BratwurstDimSum

BratwurstDimSum Member

Bloody hell, Hope sapper isn't reading this he was promised a cert from Monty himself, 60 years on, permanently injured nobody seems interested.

That bloody dog would eat the medal anyhow...