Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Any 144 scale collectors

Discussion in 'Modelling' started by Prospero Quevedo, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Prospero Quevedo

Prospero Quevedo Well-Known Member

Looking for fellow 144th scale collectors to discuss kits and kit problems. Building tips and so on. Thanks for stopping by and hope to hear from you. download_20210325_205112.jpg

ULITHI and Kai-Petri like this.
  2. Takao

Takao Ace

Never got into 144 scale, always thought it was too small, and there was not a large selection to chose from in my area of the States(in the late 70s-80s) - aircraft only and that was mostly Revell & Monogram bombers. I built mainly 48 scale fighters, 72 scale bombers, 72 & 35 scale armor, and 700/600/350 scale warships.

3. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

...I still have a model of an LHA which I haven't competed in --I think-- about 15 years!!!!! it's the same class of ship I was on in 1990
    ... I had a completed one, but the family said '''the dog busted it'' !!!!!!!!!!!! hahahhahahahahhahahaha
    ..so I started a new one.....I guess I could finish it, but I need to think of a place to display it

4. Prospero Quevedo

5. Prospero Quevedo

There's a huge selection now thanks to dragon and takara and ftoy. Planes too, I use to get kits for two to five bucks, I can't believe how much they retail for now. You said your into 700 scale ships did you ever get any navalworks kits, I did the casting master for the Sims, Corvette, California, Porter and Arizona

6. Takao

Takao Ace

Mainly Tamiya, Aoshima, and Fujima. Naval works were highly detailed kits, but nobody locally carried them. Mail ordering back then was a PITA.

7. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

What a collection! A bunch of rare birds and prototypes in there too...flawless paint jobs.
    I would appreciate more pictures if possible.

8. Prospero Quevedo

That's kewl, what LHA were you on, I have like three or four 1/700 I was converting a couple into a LHD but now that they have one I'll probably finish it up as a LHA.

9. Prospero Quevedo

download_20210325_205054.jpg just for fun reworking the wing and under carriage of the 262 to the first prototype with the main landing gear more forward and tail wheel. Also reworking the ftoy ju188, it has a lot of inaccuracies and I would like to correct it and build some other variants. The fun part is building the radio finder I figure if I can do that in 144 I should have no problems with future projects. I have a bunch. I'll try to get more detailed pics as time goes
    Well had a great time building the biplanes, I have eleven, 3) E7K1 type94, 3) K9 type95, 3) fiat CR42, 1) K5Y float plane I was trying to get the land based as well but kept getting out bid on eBay, and one swordfish I want to recast it and make one with the wings folded plus make one representative of the squadron that crippled the Bismarck. Working on them has made me wish I had gotten the WWI biplanes when they were all over and cheaper. I'll find some deals some day, I've gotten interested in the albatross, Fokker D7 and triplane, spas, nieport, Sopwith camel.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    Kai-Petri, ULITHI, Otto and 2 others like this.
  10. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Awesome mate...
    Stuka-rama! It seems you lean toward WW2, but there are plenty of non WW2 birds in there...do you prefer old or new aircraft?
    (A lesson to other modellers - a glass case keeps the dust off...)

11. Prospero Quevedo

Thanks for saying that my kits were highly detailed I did a lot of work on them and I got a lot of praise from model magazines but I did get some negative feed back. But even the new plastic kit has a lot of errors. My big ding was the secondary five inchers I made the casemates with closed shutters and people wanted them open and be able to mount a gun. Thanks to Jim Shirley I lost my casting master, but I made it from a cast from an oversized hull each casting shrinks the finished product. I still have the original cast and some test cast. I am thinking of rebuilding a cast master add some more details and open the casemates. I'm also still going to finish my hog Islanders type A and B can't seem to find info on the type C. I'm not sure if they were even built I have what is the Bible of hog Islanders and it mentioned the design but I didn't see anything on construction.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  12. Prospero Quevedo

I'm generally a WWII to modern. I'm working on converting a m47 to m46 and m26 and rebuilding a t55 to a t62, I'm trying to make the road wheels separate to add more detail and not looking like a solid piece. Also working on a fj2 should not be too hard as the Navy started with a standard f86. Want to cast two types of wings fixed and folded. One of my future projects ,144 remote control carriers. Want to do a light, Yorktown class, Essex and angle deck Essex. Going to need to put something on the decks.

13. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Sounds really interesting...

14. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

USS Nassau

15. Prospero Quevedo

Yeah got a bunch of stukas I'll have to finish my navalized stuka. I really like the way the wing folds. Got a heck of a lot of 109s need to make little name plates to keep them all straight. Like they pretty much look the same cept maybe armament and filters and supercharger intake. Got extras for my grandnephews can't wait to teach them how to build some models, got to wait a few more years as they are only two and three right now.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  16. Prospero Quevedo

Here's an idea for making display space you can build some accent shelving. Four to six inches deep depending on what you want to display I built some accent shelving in my apartment unit and the manager said that it looked so good that I didn't need to worry about taking them down Iran it so it was even with the top of the door and it was easy and inexpensive to make, plus with your model so high should be safe from dogs a mm d children. When I was in middle school I was into 32 scale aircraft, 72scale by college and a couple of years after that 1980 it started into 700 scale ships and 144 scale aircraft armor years later. I like to build shelving cases and will do some remodeling in my room with custom shelving so I can display my books and models and store kits and projects in progress. Just need a carpenter's level I got some nice ones cheap from harbor freight, some nice looking brackets from Lowes or home depot. And some shelving wood. Use a good varnish coat to protect the wood if wood finish. I paint most of my cases usually gloss white or simi gloss. Anyway the accent shelving is a great way of making display space without using space like a large display cabinet. Hope this helps

bronk7 likes this.
  17. Prospero Quevedo

Thanks and thanks for your service, I looked up the Nassau and that lady was all over. Making me feel older I remember when the LHAs were new and a big deal to the Navy and wow look how long ago that was now all the Tarawa class are decommissioned now. Man getting older sucks.

bronk7 likes this.
  18. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

..yes, I was ''surprised'' when I found out it was decommissioned ..it was so ''new'' compared to the LPH USS Inchon, that I was also on ....the US has a lot of $$$$
    ..I was also on 2 LSTs --all my ships decommissioned and/or sold

19. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

..for the last one, I used an upside down fish tank.....painted blue around the bottom part .....made a wood shelf about 2 inches tall and painted that blue --to fit inside the tank ...the ship on the blue ''shelf'', with landing craft just behind it ......it was on a table...so the tank kept dust off of it

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    Half Track likes this.
  20. Prospero Quevedo

I did more reading, and the America class LHAs are the new standards for assault ships she's ten feet longer but about thirty shorter in beam. When the navy said they needed a new class of ship because the requirements changed the papers had a field day saying waste of tax dollars and stuff. The navy countered they could modify the Tarawa class but it would be so expensive that it's more cost effective to build a new ship. I didn't believe it could be that expensive but remodeling always has something come up. I thought that they said that to diffuse what the papers were ranting. Besides lots of reporters just spout nonsense. I saved my copy of times magazine where the reporter was saying how dangerous the V22 was and how it never worked and could never work and was completely dangerous and should be canceled. But look how many are in service and they have had a fairly good operating record. Hell they said almost the same thing about the CH 53s when they first came out till they got that trans problem worked out. I don't trust reporters they misinformation or twist many just don't research or investigate. Like when they were moving a tank from one museum to another local here the stupid paper says WWII MBT m4 Sherman to be displayed, I took a look at the pictures it was a M5 light tank I wrote the paper a nasty email about not being able to do proper research or even looking in a book.