Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Any advice on drawing D Day?

Discussion in 'Trench Art' started by Radar4077, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Radar4077

Radar4077 Member

Hi,

In art class, all of my assignments had been completed, so I made up a little sketch showing the beaches of Normandy. Buuut, then we had another assignment to do, so I had to quit this drawing and hadnt gotten to it yet.:(

Would anyone have advice on drawing about Overlord?

2. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

3. ULITHI

ULITHI Ace

If you want to be acurate, there are diagrams in books and probably on the net that show the different beaches.

However, as someone who likes to draw and paint, my advice is to follow your heart and drawing style, Radar. Do a few practice sketches before your final draft if you want.

I only tried to paint Normandy once and that was over ten years ago. I painted this one of Omaha beach that I based off an actual photo. It came out pretty crappy and is now in my junk heap. There was no real focal point, just a bunch of junk scattered about. But, I lived and learned. :)

Attached Files:

4. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Look for "Belgian Gates D-Day" or "Belgian Gates Normandy" in Google. These obstacles were used to obstruct the beaches. They were called "Belgian Gates" because that's what they were, gates taken from Belgium and moved to the beaches. "recycled" obstacles.

Also, check this for more info: HyperWar: ETO/Overlord--Contents

5. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

Radar, as others have said - original photographs and maps, plus images of uniforms and equipment .......but certainly use some artistic license and your imagination too (no nazi zombies though ;))

6. Radar4077

Radar4077 Member

Cool! thanks guys.