Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Any Brit/Canadian re-enactors out there ?

Discussion in 'Living History' started by Ginger, Jan 14, 2001.

1. Ginger

Ginger Member

Hi All

It's sad to see the re-enactment section is somewhat empty - it's certainly the BEST way to inform and educate small groups of people about WW2, it adds a point to collecting endless uniforms and equipment and, as far as battle re-enactment is concerned it's fun.

Since I've specifically targetted the GB board I suppose my first enquiry has to be how many Brit re-enactors are out there ? (Either based in the UK or portraying Brit forces).

I head a 15 strong unit of people potraying 4 Commando. This came about after a couple of years of being the anything-you've-got-you-can-wear re-enactment group. We decided we needed a corporate identity and went for commandos to try and balance out the seemingly endless numbers of paras we have over here (anyone else have too many people addicted to a Bridge too Far ?).

Anyway, you can see what a mess (or otherwise) we're making of it by surfing onto our website at www.4commando@freeserve.co.uk

So, anyone else out there ? Particulary interested in that other forgotten army -the Canadians :)

We re-enact with a small group of Black Watch of Canada Boys.

Paul Watson
    4 Commando

------------------
    "The possession of a green beret does not make one bullet proof."

2. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

You are right, it is too bad the reenactor forums are empty, but they were all emptry just a few months ago. As for any other UK reenactors take a look at this site:

http://members.home.net/canuckmain/

It is maintained by Michael Dorosh, the moderator of this forum and a published WW2 author.

PS: I'm glad you decided to stay on, did you get my email?

3. Ginger

Ginger Member

Yo Otto

Found that if I E-mail you first thing in the morning (about 6.30 here (guess that's about 1.00 over there) then I can actually get on the site in less than 3 minutes (that's how long it's been taking).

Yup, the other posting may well have been quiet but they are starting to fill up - the re-enactment section is conspicuously empty, while others have been filling up - that's the point I was trying to make (not having a 'go' at anyone Old Man.

As to staying on, I'll keep expounding wild ideas that are probably of no interest to anyone outside the UK until someone tells me to stop :)

How about this for a discussion - it's going on on virtually every other newgroup, so why not here - SHOULD RE-ENACTORS BLANCO THEIR KIT IF THEY'RE PLAYING FRONT LINE UNITS ?

I'm of the opinion that its way too much hassle and, if you've virginal unissued kit that's all a uniform colour, you shouldn't have to. Any opinions ? Am I just a lazt s*d ??

Paul Watson
    4 commando

PS I got our E-mail address wrong (c'est la vie) it's www.4commando.freeserve.co.uk

Surf in tell me what y'all think.

4. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I know you weren'y having a "go" at anyone. I was just trying to ell you what had happened here before you got here. There was absolutely no malice intended.

By the way, does "Blanko their kits" mean, make it look old?

5. Ginger

Ginger Member

Hmm,37 pattern cotton webbing gear, with it's light sandy/khaki colour was completely unsuited to life in the British Army - it very easily stained and became rather dilapidated looking in a short space of it's operational life.

Originally Blanco was the paste used to whiten leather equipment in the British army and the term was subsequently used for the preservative/waterproofing powder that thousands of British (and I'd have thought Canadian)squaddies had to 'paint' into their kit to make it presentable for parade. The idea was to give the kit a uniform colour for parade etc. Speaking from experience, this can take hours and the finish doesn't take much to start cracking, staining and need doing again.

So, my main question is whether, re-enactment wise, (a) there's any evidence of front line units not blancoing kit in the European Theatre and (b) whether it makes me any less of a re-enactor to say s*d it ?

Paul Watson 4 Commando

PS Otto - didn't think there was any malice intended. Just work on dry British observational humour -in fact, when you read E-mails from me run the accent that Edward Fox uses for Horrocks in A Bridge Too Far...that'll probably cover most of my spoken nuances :) Here's to more drivel :)

------------------
    "The possession of a green beret does not make one bullet proof."

6. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Hi,
    I re-enact with Kompanie 1, 12 SS re-enactment group based in the UK. I am not sure I have seen your guys (if you are based here) but maybe you could tell me about any events you have attended I may remember you. As for the blanco issue I think it would depend on the quality of your gear, I mean if it is in mint condition, never been taken out of the crate then I dont think I could bring myself to blanco it, if on the other hand it is in rather shabby condition then yeah, I would go ahead. The closest issue I have had to that is whether or not to polish a pair of brown boots to make them black (as german soldiers normaly would) or keep them brown.

7. Ginger

Ginger Member

Wha-hey there is life on this forum :)

Hmm, Paul Watson - big ginger moustache - usually wearing green beret - to be found at Great Central Railway in June, Bletchley Park (Chutes and Dagger) this weekend and at a host of small/one off events.The group doesn't battle as no bang sticks - tend to do far more of the hands on Living History stuff with the kids (large number of fathers in the group - I'm a teacher so inevitable really).

I tend to do a lot of stuff with Paul Dalby's AFRA (116th Panzer Grenadiers). Hmm, that's about it I think. You can see us by going to www.4commando.freeserve.co.uk, clicking on events archive, finding North York Moors Railway and then clicking on the Personnel section. I'm the first one on there.

Hopefully we'll meet up (if we haven't already) sometime over the next season or so.

TTFN

Paul

8. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Hi, I dont think I have seen you at any events as I have only really been to 1 (Severn Valley Railway) and I doubt I will be at anything other than battles for the next few months. I have found you on the photo btw. My units main page is www.kompanie1.co.uk but there are more pics on www.12thss.com. If you look through the photographs from 'Kidderminster 2001' I am the one who posed for his ID photo and only realised afterwards that there was an ambulance behind. I may be at Bletchley sometime just to have a look.

How much is British kit? My german gear cost a bomb (over £600 and that is just basic stuff). On the bright side there is no need for dress uniform or number 2's (although I should have another tunic as mine was 'strictley for field use', I can always preach supply shortages). I was thinking about trying british in a few years, when I have certain things to make life easier, like money (I can dream).

Anyway, nice to see there is a least 1 other british re-enactor here.

9. Ginger

Ginger Member

Stefan

Yeah - I forgot Severn Valley, but we only did the second weekend (9 days is way too much for us :)) Being stuck in a field with XXI para is much too much for me :)

As to British kit - the basic stuff Battledress top and trousers can be found repro-ed by Harlan Glenn and Mark Patman (Motion Picture Props) - both are good quality repros and would serve well. Add in 100 for badges, webbing and a beret and, apart from boots, you're there. Weaponless but definitely in the game. The only problem is, like all this stuff, the prices of the periferals just goes up and up and up - so if you're toying with the idea, buy the webbing and the ammo boots NOW if you can. Still the bubble may have burst in the near future and it will all be academic :)

Yeah, if you get chance, come to Bletchley - there'll be a LOT of veterans there n the Sunday and (hopefully) some good displays.

Given the weather report, putting us near to the lake was tempting fate !!

Anyway, keep up the good work - being better turned out and organised than your Allied counterparts :) and I@ll no doubt see you around.

Paul

PS Just realised the other reason we don't battle - we're off in the woods every other weekend running combat games with weapons with up to a 2km (accurate) range. Who needs blanks ? :)

10. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

I know what you mean about the XXI paras, they were a laugh. We were only there the first weekend but it was all great fun. I dont know if we are better turned out (we have more in attendence though) and as for organised, you should have seen all the trouble over tickets for the trains. In the end the conductors were told that anyone with runes has paid. The 40's night was good though, despite over priced drinks and a lack of people my age (but what should I expect, it was hardly a disco, more fun though).

I'll think about british re-enacting but I have also been thinking about other periods (napoleonic specificaly) so I doubt I will be doing anything now.

Tell me more about this game in the woods, sounds fun. I still like blanks though.

Cheers,
    Stef

11. Peter cosgrove

Peter cosgrove recruit

Hi my name is pete from the uk im 18 and one of the youngest re-anactors in uk.I belong to the 1st AB recce sqd LHA we portray A troop that took part in actions in italy and then in 1944 at Arnhem we they were nearly wiped out. we also portray 4 commando and Brit Infantry.We have over 45 memembers in our group we have done many things such as parachuting to gliding and have done a march from the DZ at Arnhem to the bridge itself.

peter

12. Modus

Modus Member

Greets, Gents! Just thought I'd say "hi" from the other side of the "river" in Indiana! I'm currently a member of the newly formed 25.Panzer Grenadier Division, and we're in action against various squads of Brit and Pole Para units. Wonderful guys!

As to uniform uniformity ( ;) ), we've been in contact with a few Panzer veterans who part upon us volumes of wealth regarding the appearance of our kits. One of the main comments was in regards to the brown leather sections of the Y-straps, which our vets said should be blackened over with the appropriate dye (not polish, as it will rub off). We plan to do this as a unit at the next training session.

13. Bish OBE

Bish OBE Member

hi guys. I am a paper member of SBG. Unfortunatly, my job prevents me from taking an active part at the moment.

Peter, i'd like to hear more about your group. The regiment i am in was one of those that formed glider infantry in WW2. Our guys were at Arnhem, amongest other places. Are there any groups that protray them.

14. Peter cosgrove

Peter cosgrove recruit

Hi bish

peter here i tried to e-mail you the other day about our group. but the msg did not send right i tied your address twice but i got Failed to recive.

Pete
    here mine anyway trunks_recce@hotmail.com

15. Bish OBE

Bish OBE Member