Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Any info on these Nazi photographs?

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Erin, Mar 17, 2013.

1. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

As usual, Skipper nailed it about a few pictures. Now you know why we keep him around. Seriously, post all the pictures you have and want to. We'd be happy to see them, even if you think they are just pictures. Who knows, we may be able to find something in them.

2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

The professor's arrogance is quite annoying.

Feel free to post all the photos you want to, Erin. As far as the German handwriting goes, there are some guys here are very good at it. Give them time. All I can tell you is that the date is July 30, 1933, very early in Hitler's dictatorship.

3. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Great pics! Keep them coming.

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I will have to work on the pictures a little more but the picture with the car and the motorbikes is an SSmen meeting at a place called ......dorf on July 30th 1933 (just few months after Hitler's election) . These len are possibly among the early henchmen who joined the NSDAP before Hitler even came to power. The car has a Berlin plate.

Slipdigit and Biak like this.
  5. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I'm guessing it's Düsseldorf.

Skipper likes this.
  6. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Thats an earlier generation of SS...the BAM boys...(Bad Arze Mob)...They be baaaad...

7. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Düsseldorf is the one TD, good show

8. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

The Kradmelder on pic 2 could be Polizei or RAD (I don't see if the sleeve emblem is a spade or a police eagle) . The landscape reminds me of the Lüneburger Heide , but it coudl of course be anywhere . Polizei would seem a reasonable guess as he looks quite old to be an Arbeits dienst recruit.

9. Erin

Erin New Member

Sorry for the delay in posting the next group, 16 month old babies have a tendency to dictate how your day is going to go and yesterday he decided he needed my full attention.. every minute... of the entire day. Sooo much fun, you guys should try it, it keeps you on your toes.

Anyway... here's the next batch. The first three pictures are from the same roll of film, the last picture was printed separately but it seemed to fit in this group. The age of this boy breaks my heart. He hardly looks older than 14, though I suppose it's possible he's older. Possibly he was part of the Hitler Youth?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Defenitely a Reich Arbeiters Dienst recruit. (RAD).

Each German (male or female) had to serve 6 month in the RAD prior to even enlist, usaully this was when they were 16-18 years old. Their symbol was the spade (Spaten) which they used as a tool and they even used it for their parades and carried it like a gun. Your recruit is from the 26th Abteilung E . (or 28?) . His young age, the emblem and the shovel leave no doubt. the 26th and 28th were respectely based at KULM and THORN . More details here.

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241268

Biak and Erin like this.
  11. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Erin, no need to apologize. My Wife and I went through the same thing with our Daughter on occasion. It's been over 36 years ago and we're just now starting to forget about those 28 hour days :)
    The pictures you are posting are outstanding and you have a treasure that no one has ever seen before. Thanks for sharing them with us !

Erin likes this.
  12. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

The Lorries are Borgwards.
    B2500/3000 most likely, but still trying to pin down that exact GS body/Dual screen variant.

13. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Skipper likes this.
  14. Erin

Erin New Member

You mean it's going to take 36 years for us to forget yesterday, the day which will henceforth be referred to "Tantrum Thursday"? Why didn't anyone warn me before I got into this mess? I wonder if it's possible to trade my model in for one that leaks less, runs quieter and consumes less fuel... probably not.

Back on topic... Can't believe what you guys can learn from these snapshots. I'd never heard of RAD before today. Googled it and spent at least an hour reading up on it. Thanks Skipper.
    And it never occurred to me that there would be interest in the trucks. I guess my 'girl'ness kicked in cause when I looked at that pic all I noticed was a soldier standing in front of a truck that to my eyes looked like every other military truck I've ever seen. Ha. Good work Von Poop!

I've got nine German pictures left but don't have them scanned in. I'll try to get to it tonight and have them up by tomorrow morning.

15. Owen

Owen O

von Poop & I were having a good online chat about those those lorries.
    We love that sort of thing.
    We can be nerds here & feel ok about it.

16. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

I was guessing a Duesenberg ? :) With the steering wheel on the 'wrong' side!

17. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I can imagine the kid being photographed by his parents when they took him to his local Rad section the first day. Apparently he was about to board one of these trucks to go on one of the many missions operated by the RAD. This could be cleaning roads, doing some factory work, building houses, painting etc.... Some sections had permanent workingplaces like factories, others were mobile and moved to the sites by trucks.
    The reason why I think this is the first day for the young lad, is the fact that he is posing in front of the trucks in a brand new uniform. He would not wear that to go painting , so it's likely his initial tranport to his permanent unit. Once he would get there , he would sleep in a dorm and wear work clothing.

18. Erin

Erin New Member

Here is the next batch hot off the scanner! Not sure if these pictures have any relation to each other or not. There's no print marks on the back and the type of paper varies among them. I've grouped them together due to similar content.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. 4jonboy

4jonboy Active Member

Thanks for posting the photos Erin. Really enjoy seeing them, although I cannot help in identifying any.
    Sad to see, but the 7 guys in the first photo look very young-surely not older than 16 or 17?

Lesley

20. von Poop

von Poop Waspish