Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Any preppers out there?

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by A-58, May 13, 2015.

1. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude Patron  

A buddy of mine started collecting all types of survival gear in the last year or so. He had a fully stuffed "bug out bag", machetes, tomahawks, freeze dried food, solar panels, ropes, hiking boots, batteries, candles, camping gear, toilet paper, radio telephones, gold and silver coins, weapons and ammo out the wazoo. No surplus stuff, the top of the line stuff. I thought that he was caught up in the current "Zombie Apocalypse" craze sweeping the country. When he was showing me his stash (or cache rather) I pointed out the obvious to him. I said "dude, haven't you noticed in the zombie apocalypse movies, it's the pretty people who survive. You're ugly, bald and overweight. You're gonna be a zombie and all this stash is going to be a goldmine to someone else! " He laughed and said it was for the hard times that are coming. I never thought of things like that, and he was dead serious. He's not a militiaman or anything like that either, nor a vet or the outdoorsman type. Just preparing for the worst, just in case.

Now, being prepared for desperate times is never a bad idea for people along the Gulf or Atlantic Coastal areas. We get the occasional hurricane that can stymie EVERYTHING for weeks afterwards. And some of that gear my buddy is accumulating comes in handy. I had the misfortune of being deployed to New Orleans to deal with the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. It got ugly down there in a day and a half after the winds died down, and two days later we almost lost control of the city to the "have nots". The news coverage does not begin to tell the story of what went on down there. Three years later Hurricane Gustav came to town and hit us (in Baton Rouge) harder than Katrina did. I lost power for 14 days. On day 15 I was dragging limbs to the road in front of the house and I heard the A/C kick on. Yay! It wasn't so bad. At the end of the day I'd hose off in the yard and stroll over to the local watering hole about a half a mile from the house and sip cool ones and choke down and burger and watch the news until they ran everyone off at closing time, or when the beer ran out, whichever came first. They were on a different power grid than us obviously. Anyway, civil authority was not threatened due to the full court press (read-excessive force) that all regional police agencies applied to avoid the costly mistakes of NOPD et al a few years earlier. So I started thinking about it, and started my own little stash of survival gear at the house. I have a lot of stuff already and forgot about it, mostly camping and army gear I brought home with me, or bought at surplus stores afterwards. Mainly I am putting things in one place, and looking to add to it as needed. Another buddy always said to me "you can never have enough bullets".

How about you?

2. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

Copper and lead beats gold and silver all day long, twice on Sunday

USMCPrice likes this.
  3. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude Patron  

Yeah I told him that too. Smokes, canned goods, water and a$$ wipe will be the medium of exchange. I think I might drill a water well in the back yard too now that I think about it. Put a windmill on it too.

4. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Patron   WW2|ORG Editor

The preppers I know all make one serious mistake. They buy guns of all calibers. They have ten boxes of ammo for one piece, but when that's gone the piece is now a club. I'd go with one long gun and one side arm, multiple copies of each, and ammo sufficient to fight off the ZA.

Oh, and the preppers, they're my relatives, the hillbilly side of the clan. They have what they call "the Big 50", meaning the fifty relatives with the most guns. Between them they have over 7,000 firearms.

But it's not a compulsion, you know, just a hobby.

5. lwd

lwd Ace

A lot depends on how long you expect to need things. A gun and a box of ammo might be good for a short period. If you think total breakdown you might want to consider a black powder rifle, bullet mold, lead, and a fair amount of powder. Depending on where you live sulfer and/or potasium nitrate (or other oxidizer) might also be on the shopping list. A bow and/or crossbow and ammo for the same as well as a fletching jig and hand powered lathe wouldn't be bad ideas either.

6. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member Patron  

I figure I would be long dead from the lack of medication rather than food. But mind you a 1200 round case of 7.62 is around $200 up here so ammo is not the problem.

KTK

7. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

The problem is, who are you going to shoot? In Katrina, the first people to show up were law enforcement to take the guns away and throw people out of their homes. Are you going to shoot them? The lines get pretty blurry in these situations. The people who were "prepared" ended up worse off than those who were unprepared and fled the city.

In an urban setting I think your best bet is that "bug out" bag - get out ahead of the first wave. If you try to stay and protect your property, you're going to run afoul of those are sent to "save" you.

That probably doesn't apply in a rural setting. With a generator and some canned goods (and a rifle) you can probably do pretty well.

8. von Poop

von Poop Waspish WW2|ORG Editor

I bought far too much corned Beef & Kitchen roll when on offer at Costco last year. As you do.
    The Fishwife has thus classified me and my peculiar shelves of meat & paper in the garage as 'some kind of fu@king survivalist enclave'.

I for one shall welcome our new insect overlords.

KodiakBeer likes this.
  9. The_Historian

The_Historian Pillboxologist

In the words of Scotty in Star Trek:
    "How hard are Scotsmen? Laddie, I'm the only guy in a red shirt who's still alive..."

10. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude Patron  

Your sequence of events is not very accurate. Actually not at all. The first to show up didn't go around taking weapons. Quite the contrary. Time and effort was spent evacuating people and dealing with civil disobedience on a massive scale. "Neighborhood militias" sprung up and secured areas that we didn't have to cover, and they did it well. They ate good too. Since the power was out, everyone was cooking out since all frozen food would soon be gone. They even shared it with us. We gave them bottled water and MREs in exchange. We evac'ed three hospitals an numerous nursing homes by carrying everyone out on stretchers to military vehicles that could ford the flooded roads in the area. Once that was done armed patrols went into the Quarter and surrounding areas to rescue thousands of tourists who were abandoned when hotel people skipped town. While we were doing this, the looters looted the whole frigging city. There was not enough men to stop them and conduct rescue operations, so the looters were dealt with by the militias when the looterites wandered into those areas. No paperwork that way. Then came the reduction of the poor people living in squalid conditions in the Superdome and out by Convention Center along the river. Power companies came in later to try to re-establish utilities, and the army engineers were trying to fill breaks in seawalls. Some utility workers were shot at while they were trying to do their job, so we were assigned to cover them. A lot of them went home, and I don't blame them. The rest worked around the clock to get the job going, not done. Once the flood water receded, homeowners snuck back in see their homes and retrieve some belongings. Then the "Indians" came out and terrorized them. More of us were detailed to cover those areas. We were given orders to run the homeowners off, but not a one was told to leave. We told them to get what they needed and get gone before dark because the area was not secure. Mobile and foot patrols were the only semblance of authority.

One of the odder things that went on was the PETA types ran around liberating animals from veterinary clinics and pet stores. It was not rare to see exotic birds flying around, and animals that you just don't see in the middle of a major metropolis, rooting around for food. I remember thinking "I hope those idiots don't know where the zoo is". That was just one more headache we didn't need. There were other animal rescue groups there too. They roamed about picking up ones that PETA cut loose, and also rescued abandoned pets that seemed to be more numerous than people in some areas.

After about a week all sorts of support started pouring in from all over the place. Of course by then most of the "excitement" was over and evacuating the evacuees was about the only game in town. People were being put on buses, military transport aircraft and anything that would roll. The evacuees were shipped out and scattered to the four winds with little to no contact with separated family members. We had to get them out asap, and record keeping was not FEMAs strong point. Neither was ours at the time either. That was the most miserable and sickening part of my 33 years as a policeman.

It wasn't quite a bad and widespread as you might think KB, about NOPD seizing weapons. Don't get me wrong, just seizing one was not the thing to do. I was down there for two weeks during the worst of it and never seized a weapon, saw a weapon seized, heard of one being seized, or received an order to seize one. I saw that weapon seizing incident on the news after I got relieved and sent home. By then, the vast majority of people in New Orleans were the police and the army. While I was there, we didn't have a lot of spare time to go around looking for weapons to seize. We had more pressing items to deal with at the time.

But to answer your question, I would never turn my weapon over to anyone during a time of calamity such as that. Nor would I follow an unlawful order to seize the weapons of law abiding citizens either.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  11. Biak

Biak Adjutant Patron  

We've got a few up here that 'talk' about the coming of the End Of Times. Of course they're the same ones standing at the front of the line on the first of every month. With the average population being something like 16 people per square mile personal safety isn't really a big concern. And as for an invasion : Who in their right mind would head North in a time of Government breakdown? Some have stocked up on water, dried or canned foot stuffs, ammo etc: but usually neglect the real basics. Clothing (warm for Winter), boots, a couple of good axes, small chainsaw with an adequate supply of gasoline, one weapon for self defense (just in case), a couple of .22's - several thousand rounds are cheap / and you can take anything from Snowshoe rabbits to Deer for a few cents each. A wood stove for heat. Already have a lifetimes worth of fishing equipment so good to go there. A couple good quality battery powered radios. Shortwave & FM. Just to be able to keep up with whats going on in the Outer World.

That said, I have a generator & several gallons of fuel on hand mainly due to the utility company's Law of Averages of getting the power back on after a storm. Other than running a few lights and keeping the refrigerator/freezer going, electricity would not be a big concern. Or need.

I'd feel for those who live in populated areas but then again, no I wouldn't.

12. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Good for you, my friend! But, as you describe, the lines get blurry with some (perhaps most) in authority exercising discretion, and others merely exercising the iron fist. Some people were perfectly secure and prepared, sitting in the upstairs of a house with propane and a little food and then thrown into the streets. That seems to be a recurring theme in all such disasters; homeowners are thrown off their property to return and find it looted. There are vids of actual NOLA cops looting property. The lines do get blurry. That's why I would just "bug out" in an urban disaster. You're going to be outnumbered. In a rural area, I'd hold tight and challenge anyone telling me to leave. I'd resist with force anyone telling me to surrender my weapons.

13. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

14. von Poop

If... I lived in a jurisdiction with what I actually regard as more sensible gun laws, like the US... Oregon maybe.
    I'd regard myself as remiss if I hadn't buried/secured something (legally acquired) of a firearms nature along with a decent supply of ammunition somewhere where only I might know how to retrieve it... just in case.

I'm definitely not an instinctive 'prepper', finding most such people mad as fish... but... the above would just feel like common sense to me.
    Why would I not plan in a dilettante manner for the absolute worst.

Just.
    In.
    Case.

15. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Well-Known Member Patron  

During the Cold War I designed a house for the only "prepper" I ever knew. He was rather well off and we started with a bunker under his house, 10" reinforced concrete, bacteriological filters and something he ordered from California that was supposed to filter radioactive particles. I ask why and he said we might be hit by nuclear weapons, Auburn, Alabama ? I told him not unless they shot at Ft. Benning and missed ! Besides if I was the only survivor, well except the zombies, why would I want to survive. I guess we might have gotten radioactive clouds blowing our way a slow bake instead of fries..

We covered one wall with sheet steel, a huge map of Europe over it and Warsaw and Nato lines clearly draw. All military information he was able to gather was on it under magnetic tabs. Plus food, generators, vented to the exterior. There was a huge forest near by and he wanted his neighbor to great him a legal easement to cross the neighbor's land to get to the woods, university owned tree farm. The neighborhood said if I am a French fry you are welcome to walk a or drive over my land..My client was not happy without the easement ?

He seemed like a nice guy but spend an enormous amount or time and money worrying about the future. Of course all of this was before the Federal government replaced the Soviet's as the enemy.( I got an email about that comment, it was facetious, I do not equate the Feds with the Soviets in any sens though a lot of my friends do. )

Believe me I think the world, including the US , Alabama and my town are pretty much a mess but I try and not worry about things over which I have no influence. I just keep my Sig 228 by the bed, lot of zombies seem to be in Louisiana, not that far. I guess I should get some silver bullets and wish I had kept my hand loader ! seriously as enjoyed the process.

I am not trying to be remotely sarcastic in the least, perhaps a wee facetious, I just grew up here in a simpler time, into a household full of guns, ammunition, hunting and fishing and the only license spoken of was for a car. A permit to fish was unheard of and the only Feds were at Craig Field, a pilot's training school and the pride of the city.

Hey that sounds nostalgic, which I am not, got to get back to work to be secure when I retire ! :)

Gaines

16. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large Patron  

I've got guns, and a decent, not exorbitant amount of ammo. Might buy more. I can still hit a cup saucer at 500 yards with my AR and a man at 1000 with my National Match M1A. Close to the woods (thousand of acres), and have a pure, natural spring nearby. Lots of gear I aquired over the years, including NBC gear (I'll explain in a minute), enough gear to equip half a squad or so completely. Tents, sleeping bags, ISO mats, fishing gear, body armor, packs of all sizes and descriptions. I have a substantial garden, which I have because I like the fresh veggies and my wife puts them up for use in the cold months, Got good dogs, and a couple trucks that will go just about anywhere, broke the Jeep ('77 CJ7) a couple years ago four-wheeling and will get around to fixing it someday. I don't prep and like Gaines don't really worry about it. My wife, in addition to being a good woman, (has to be to have put up with me for 33 years, including during my crazy days) is a pretty damned good fisherman. She and I will survive just fine if things go bad. If not, well everybody dies, can't choose when or where, but sometimes we can choose how. Here's my motto, in song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cQNkIrg-Tk

The NBC gear, we were getting ready for a deployment and me and a guy that was riding with me went and drew NBC gear, masks, hoods, gloves, the field protective suits sealed in green bags, boot covers, extra sealed filters, extra mask lenses, atropine injectors, etc. We signed for them and left them in the trunk of my car. When we deployed they were not on the packing list so we did not take them, left them in the trunk and forgot about them. Came back from the deployment and we tried to turn them in along with other organizational gear we had been issued. There was a new supply guy, and he said he didn't have a record of us being issued the NBC gear. OK, but we have it, here. Can't do that if no record of it being issued, I can't take it back. Well, what do we do with it? Keep it, it doesn't exist. We don't want it. Not my problem was his reply. We put it back in the trunk and left it. Figured that eventually they would find out it was missing and want it back or try to charge us for it. Next time I had a 96 and swooped home I stashed it in my garage, the other guy asked me to keep his because he had no place to store it. He ETS'ed, then I ETS'ed and it was never mentioned again. So I have two complete sets of NBC gear, and one additional mask with carrier (forget where I got it) sitting in my basement in one of those plastic totes. Gotta love the Army, more money than good sense.

17. Dave55

Dave55 Member Patron  

Silly, you only need one round and the address of some prepper. :)

Poppy likes this.
  18. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member Patron   WW2|ORG Editor

If you live in Alabama, or most parts of the old South or Rocky Mountain States, hiding a weapon would not necessarily be a requirement. Most people that I know on a first name basis are already, um, suitably armed and would not need to "borrow" mine. I suspect that were I in the need of a firearm, I would only need to walk to a neighbor's house and ask. Of the neighbors homes that I can see from my front door, I know first-hand that better than 75% have least one handgun and a large percentage have shotguns and/or rifles, with many of the latter being of the type that Mr. Obama is so afraid of.

i know a couple of preppers. Have stocks of food and ammunition. They rotate stocks of gasoline stored at their houses and have a bug-out bag on the ready.

My plan in the event of civil disaster is to make my way back to my parent's house, where there is a large number of family close by for mutual defense and enough land to grow our own food.

It is not the local police or sheriff that I would fear. Most all of them are local boys who have the same ideas about person liberty as I do. I am more concerned about who the Federal government would bring in from other parts of the country who do not have the same views on private ownership as me and my compadres.

USMCPrice likes this.
  19. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Shambhala http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv9DwzU3K
    Hell yeah.
    Red preppers, yellow preppers, pickled preppers. They go with everything.

Have earth worms. Big worms that fight robins here. Have a lot of bark. Spiders and ants.
    Am good.

The_Historian likes this.
  20. von Poop

Aye, maybe so, but a pistol buried under a bush might sometimes be worth a couple taken from the hand, or something.