Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Anybody else play "War Thunder"?

Discussion in 'Other WarGames' started by 26delta, Aug 23, 2013.

1. 26delta

26delta recruit

Like World of Tanks, "War Thunder" is a free online multiplayer game that pits WWII aircraft in all-out battles over some of the historic battle sites and a few made-up ones as well. It is free to play and only costs if you want to advance at a fast pace. Personally, I find it addictive.

My understanding is that the developers are in negotiation with developers of WWII Online, World of Tanks and a few naval games to add to fun. Right now, the only involvement with the ground troops is blasting away at AI controlled tanks, artillery and armoured cars. When they get the ground operations going, it should be interesting to see what manoeuvres the human controlled units come up with.

2. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

Not sure why they'd be in talks with WW2 Online...that game has no AI, and lets Land, Sea, and Air battles take place all at once.

3. 26delta

26delta recruit

I'm well aware that WW2 Online has no AI. I think the discussions are related to graphics features (vehicles, etc.). I know that one of the individuals they approached has done some awesome audio work for WoT.

If my understanding is correct, they want to take advantage of the unpredictability of HI (human intelligence) to replace the sometimes predictable AI.

4. O.M.A.

O.M.A. Active Member

Never played War Thumder. I'm sure it's good, but I realley, really hate the pay-to-be-better system. I've played WW2 Online and enjoyed the universal H2H system where every single unit, friendly and enemy was actually another real ive player. God stuff.

5. Bevertails

Bevertails New Member

War thunder doesn't have a "pay to be better" system. But if you pay you get the stuff quicker (Experience and Currency) there are no exclusive planes or ammo etc.

But otherwise to be on topic yes I play, very good game. If your looking to start playing, don't play as anything but Russia or germany, they both have best planes (through the whole leveling process) while other factions have good planes early, mid, or late

[​IMG]

Otto likes this.
  6. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Looks like a decent game, but I'm in the same boat as OMA. I am averse to pay-to-play online games, even if it only help you level faster. Maybe I'll just try it out and see.

7. Bevertails

Bevertails New Member

To be honest its all skill, if you can aim and understand how basic physics work you'll have no problem the premium feature just gives you double xp

8. O.M.A.

O.M.A. Active Member

Are there consumable items that give bonuses in battle? Maybe you have to pay for those? I'm very leery of spending time in a game where I won't be competive unless I continue to pay. I like the concept of cost certainty when I buy a game. I don't mind paying once, or paying a certain reasonable subscription fee, but I'd rather not be milked* financially.

*Other, non-financial forms of milking are welcomed.

9. Bevertails

Bevertails New Member

Nope no consumables just your skill. There are buffs and stuff for your planes (New engines, ammo,etc.) that is all based on how much you use the plane though

10. O.M.A.

O.M.A. Active Member

Installing now.

A bit perterbed by the "Open Beta Test" status, makes one wonder what the full version will bring in terms of fees.

11. O.M.A.

O.M.A. Active Member

Holy shit, the download is 6 Gig and I'm tethering off my phone right now! I think I just killed my mobile data plan for the next three months.

12. lwd

lwd Ace

Many of the "free" games offered over the net claim to be in "Open Beta" most really don't plan on ever getting out of it from what I can tell. By claiming that they kind of stifle any complaints about it being too buggy.

13. Bevertails

Bevertails New Member

The only bug ive ever seen, is the bombing crosshair not showing up at a certain elevation. And that was 5 patches ago.

This is probably the most stable ftp ive ever played.

14. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you need gold to buy aircraft and advance in this game don't you? I don't think you can you earn gold in-game, which makes this just another (awful) pay to be better than your enemy system.

15. Bevertails

Bevertails New Member

Okay there are 2 versions of currency Silver lions (standard) and Gold Eagles (Premium). Golden eagles can be spend on extra crew points or aircraft, now with the aircraft there is a certain tree for aircraft and its all the planes you can get normally, just they are named after war pilots and have beeter percentages when gaining xp or silver lions.

You are no better than the standard player when Premium

The far right the strip of like 6 planes are the only premium planes for the german branch for example. While everythign else must be aquired by standard currency.

[​IMG]

16. O.M.A.

O.M.A. Active Member

I'm now a player in War Thunder, great machanics, fun battles, but it is very clear when you run into players who have spent money on the game. Their aircraft are very high performance and their weaponry in lethal. It's cool that anyone can play for free, but to be competitive, you need to spend money. Not sure I'm going to play very regularly.

17. Bevertails

Bevertails New Member

Your kidding right?

18. O.M.A.

O.M.A. Active Member

Not kidding. Why would I be?

19. Bevertails

Bevertails New Member

The "premium" planes just unlock stuff at a quicker pace. The ammo is the same the upgrades and buffs are the same as any other plane.

20. O.M.A.

O.M.A. Active Member

Did you try to buy more than one of the very best aircraft, you need gold. Do you want your pilots to train beyond regular levels and achieve "Ace" status? You need gold. Do you want to access the kickass premium aircraft? You need gold. Next time you play and get knocked out in the cockpit by your opponents very first round, that's a premium player.

Let me approach it this way. Why would they hire developers and make a great game like this that has no incentive for people to actually pay for it to be competitive?