Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

'Anyone Can Buy Any Weapon' ?

Discussion in 'The Stump' started by Poppy, May 31, 2019.

1. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

2. wooley12

wooley12 Active Member

"Anybody can buy any weapon any time, without much if any regulation, they can buy it over the Internet, they can buy machine guns"

Unfortunately quite true, unless the gun nutz in the dark gun forums that I monitor are lying.

3. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

there are gun laws. Barry was referring to the existing laws.
    the black web bypasses law.
    canada has very stringent ownership law.
    but people get shot every day here in large cities. with illegal handguns.
    therefore: stringent gun laws do not work.
    law abiding citizens obey. criminals do not.

ColHessler likes this.
  4. wooley12

wooley12 Active Member

I've been jones'n over the idea of owning a Winchester Model 1897 trench gun.

5. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Sorry I must call moose-pucky on this.

According to the site Raw Numbers there are 296 gun deaths in Canada as of today this year and on average 722 deaths per year. Further just over three quarters are from suicides and just under 20% homicides. This works out to about 164 homicides per year using guns, so unless you are hibernating half the year a 'person getting killed every day with a illegal gun' seems highly unlikely.

I agree gun laws are stricter up north, but for your statement to ring true every homicide would have to be by a illegal gun, plus 200 suicides as well.

Let us compare the same site's statistics on the US.

As of today there are 13,458 gun death's in the US and a projected total 32,827 per year. By contrast suicides work out to just over 62% (20,355) and homicides to 35.4% (11,632). What this points out, beyond the fact that Canadians find those long winter's depressing is that while the US is roughly ten times the population our homicide are 70 times that of Canada and nearly twice the proportion (suicide to homicide).

No I am not a anti-gun radical but by the same token I don't think having our laws closer to those in Canada would be the end of the Republic.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  6. wooley12

wooley12 Active Member

I'm confused. Thought poppy was a Canuk. But I'm getting used to being confused. I have a gun. Steven's little scout. 24" barrel. Made in 1911. It was a tool for The invasion of the squirrels. Now it just hangs on the wall.

7. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Poppy is Venusian, gottta were that cap down low. Venusian twilight zone.jpg