Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Anyone else ever found commo wires and misc. crap hanging from trees?

Discussion in 'Battlefield Relics' started by mcpaintball, Jan 2, 2014.

1. mcpaintball

mcpaintball New Member

So this is my first post on here. A topic about commo wire might sound a little too obscure, but bear with me, I'm curious and wanted to see what the experienced battlefield crawlers on here think.

I was out exploring some of the smaller battlefields roughly around the Seelow area and I was trying to find a series of fighting positions described in a first-hand account of the battles in a book I was reading. I was able to find the exact positions right on the banks of the Alte Oder river. But as I walked through the rest of the woods in the area through all the rest of the fighting positions and bunkers, I started noticing insulated wires running all over the place on the ground. Having spent years in Iraq and Afghanistan, the presence of wires in the field makes me extremely paranoid lol, but I figured that IEDs are a bit unlikely there.

The wire was scattered all over the place, and interestingly enough when I started tracing it, the commo wire was strung up along the highest branches of the trees. and ran for several hunded feet until evidently the severed end was held up somewhere at the top of a tree. I can only figure that the wire was left on the field and as younger trees grew up, they just picked it up and carried it up as they grew over the years. Either that or it was East German/Russian commo wire that was run during training, though that area was extremely unlikely for that.

And I didn't climb the tree but as I was looking up and trying to figure out where the wire ran, I saw what looked like a belt of machine gun ammo sticking out of the trunk of the tree about 20-30 feet up. I've seen pictures of bikes and other crap that trees have picked up and "incorporated", I was just wondering if anyone else had seen this happen before?

And I brought back a small length of the cable intending to follow up on it. Does anyone have any specs on what was standard commo cable for the Germans that I could use to verify mine?

2. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

The Wehrmacht made extensive use of the Feldfernsprecher 33 field telephone which required large amounts of cabling. It was standard two-core cable, copper at the beginning of the War but later various different types of metal were used. Most was quickly gathered up by farmers, scrap merchants etc post-war but lengths can still be found in more remote areas.

There's a lot of info available on the internet about the FF33 - just Google Feldfernsprecher 33 and you'll find some interesting reading.....

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I confirm any available two core cable was used. While Feldtelefon cables were standard in 1940 (German makers) , copper became spare at the end of the war and "captured" or recycled cables were used whenever possible. I have found two reals with phone wires in France and each had a different type of cable.

4. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

I've seen some young trees in the Ardennes that appear to have 'picked up' shrapnel from the ground and carried it up with them, so the possibility of a MG belt doesn't seem too outlandish to me.

Do you have any photos?