Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Anyone here interested in stuff about the top German snipers in WW2?

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by C.Evans, May 17, 2001.

1. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

The reason I ask is that I am about to attempt contact with two of them. One has 345 confirmed kills, the other has 257 confirmed kills in just a 9 month period.

Let me know if you have any questions you would like me to ask.

2. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Wow, you amaze me how often it is that you contact these great men of history, when is your book coming out?

--btw,... still trying to contact you

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Gee thanks! I just write when possible. For awhile though, I have only written to two KC vets, my friend Remy and his best friend Paul-Ablert Kausch.

I have spent more time lately corresponding with my friends of U 181. Did I ever tell you that one of them is also a German Cross in Gold Recipient? That is just a small step below being a Knights Cross Recipient. He is my friend Karl Kaiser.

I do have plans within a month of writing to Bodo Spranz and a few other Panzerknackers, and also to Gunther Rall-the famous ace, and Heinz Heuer-the only Feldgendarmerie in WW2 to Recieve the Knights Cross. This was for his actions in the final days of the fighting in Berlin.

These two top snipers are also KC vets and I will see what all I can come up with from these guys. I don't know how long it will take to get a reply-if any but, I will at least try.

Take care and I will catch you later--Carl.

[ 17 May 2001: Message edited by: C.Evans ]

4. Otto

Carl, that reminds me, are you still up for that U181 page? I think it would be a great, of course I want to talk to you first :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

We could make it a dedicated page like you wanted.

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I would love to have a page on these guys. I could Get both Karl Kaiser and Gunther Bartussek and any others with computers, to visit this site.

Karl Kaiser has visited this site and has commented to me that he likes it very much but hasn't joined because he feels not knowledgable enough to participate. (I think he is just imbarrassed about his English which is way better than my German)

I have a few period photos plus one of Franz-Josef Hawran that was taken in 1943. Something else I was thinking of is on the Knights Cross Recipients informations pages-not the address onew but the others I was starting, I have about 20 or so photos, about half are of my friend Remy, but have some photos that could use some exposure.

Some that I have are: Erich Topp, Reinhard Hardegen, Helmut Witte, Hans-Gunther Lange, Rolf Thomsen, Paul Brasack, Heinrich Springer, Josef "Sepp" Lainer, Ernst Barkmann, Klaus Feldt, Hans Hauser, Paul-Albert Kausch, Jurgen Oesten, and of course Remy Schrijnen.

Un-signed photos, Klaus Feldt as an Oberleutnant zur See, Peter Kiesgen as a Hauptmann (this is the photo that was published in James Lucas book: Kommando), and one or two unknowns.

I almost forgot, I also have photos ready of some of my stuff-Tabs-Boards-some badges, and some decent multi-place Ribbon bars; if you still want to use them for a ranking system. Also, I will try to make a scan of my 15th kompanie Von Saschen regimental badge. I think this would make an ideal award icon. This badge is a beautiful Imperial German award. When I saw it for sale at Black Cross Militeria, this badge just screamed out at me -just begging for me to buy it.

Let me know, because I can get them out to you by Saturday morning. The problem is, is I will need your address again. I do have it, but its in storage with most of my books and other things. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :( [​IMG] ;) :D

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Darn it, im always forgetting to answer something--like your other question from earlier.

The book project has slowed down but is not cancelled. As soon as I have enough material for it, I will see if maybe Roger Bender will publish it for me. At this time though, I have no timeline set for it-although I do have a great deal of photographed militaria. I can always use more good photos including 3-4 of the ones you bought from me some months ago.

7. Otto

Don't get your hopes up, but I'm making a lot of good contacts because this site, (including publishers!). Possibly by the time you are finished your book I may have the ability to connect you with some publishing firm. I''l let you know as this progresses. :D

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thanks Otto: keep me informed as I am getting new things in from time to time that will be used in such a book. These will include the photos I sent you for your site and I will be requesting a copy of 3-4 of the photos that you kindly bought from me.

Sorry i didn't have the time to reply to this yesterday. By the time I saw this message, the library was closing for the day. :mad: :mad:

9. Otto

Any updates on your snipers? I'm asking because I am extremely interested!

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Dear Otto: No updates yet, im still trying to find our some preliminary info on them before I write. I know both these guys are KC recipients so, when my friend Christain gets back to Vienna, hopefully he can provide me with the info I need. I will let you know as soon as I get some answers from him.

Since he's been gone from work for over a week, he is probably trying to play catch-up at his job before writing me.

11. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Carl, Otto :

May I make a suggestion ? Carl, can Christian, if he does connect with the two sharp shooters, aquire a pic of each and possibly a little background/bio information on both ? Would love to see you do something along these lines for this site, if the time can be spared. Be nice to see something more than two sentances on the recipients and of course not having to pay the big price tag of $125.00 or more to read it in a German language book.
    Be patient with the publishers Carl. If you have many pages of text and fotos to match, look at least towards 6 months before publishing. I am dealing with this at present with a volume(s) on several almost unknown Luftwaffe night fighter units flying against the mosquito bomber.
    Another point, Tettlebach I do not believe was a Ritterkreuzträger. he had several high ranking positions, the one I mentioned of course, since I am most intersted in. He may have upward of 12 victories, but I am not sure.
    something for future reference is two other sites not up and running yet. http://www.bf109.de and one I am most intersted in........ http://www.bf110.de both run by Karl Heinz Gansel.

:cool:

Erich Brown

12. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Dear Erich: Thats a good suggestion and was what I was wanting from Christian. I don't remember where but I saw 3 "interviews" of the Germnas 3 most top scoring snipers, but the "interviews" did not impress me because: All three stories are way too similar to be totallt truthful--otherwise-thats one hell of a coincidence for all three stories to be THAT similar.

After reading and rereading them, I became suspicious. I have no doubts that some of the things mentioned in the stories were true, if the truth was "padded" a bit. I know that they did score the kills that were mentioned, but there are just too many wierd things about the stories for me to be a believer, and I DO hope I am very wrong on this.

So I got to thinking, Hmmmmmmmm, why don't I ask Christian, he could provide enough info to see if the stories are truthful of not.

I still as yet have to get a reply from him this week--maybe tomorrow? If I can get basic info from him, and then get in touch with these guys--WE WILL have one hell of a section of rare and interesting stories.

I can most likely get Remy Schrijnen to do an interview for this site, but, fopr his troubles, I want to be able to pay him something for it. I know he will not ask for any but, I do not want to take advantage of my friendship with him to do this for free-I think he SHOULD get payment. I just have to start saving more pennies and dimes for this.

Also, if might bepossible to get to interview Gunther Rall, but we will see.....

Also, I will be asking Heinz Heuer and see if he will give me permission to do an interview. There is not near enough on the Feldgendarmerie that is in print-in my opinion.

I too want to see more than a few lines on these guys. I think Christian will be all for this idea, I just have to wait till he can write to me and we can start discussing things. I wouls also like to get Martin Drewes here is possible, but that might not be possible because he is very busy these days.

Before I forget to tell you Erich. In one of the sections here on this forum, I have what I think is a complete pilots roster for NJG6 or JG26. You might be interested in the JG27 roster too, which is where you will find that info next to this other.

I agree with you, prices on books these days are rediculous. I know of one I would like to get that is $100.00, but I don't feel like speding that kinda dough on a book. If I had to spend that kinda dough on one, I would rather it be the ultimate book about all KC Recipients.

Thank you for the publishers info, I admit I have no clue as to how long it takes to get the process going. A friend of mine wrote a book back in the 1960's which was for the common G.I. stationed in Germany. He sold every copy printed, but quit printing them. I read his copy and it was VERY informative. I have been trying to get him to reprint that book with up-dated info I got while I was in Germany but..............??????????

Erich, please let me know when they are to come out, I'll buy a copy of each.

Sorry to disagree on this tidbit my friend but, Tettelbach is an RKT, he is wearing one in the photo that he is in with Adolf Galland. My memory is schlecht, but, I will recheck the photo tonight-just to make sure and will tell you about it here tomorrow, but I am 99% sure he is an RKT man.

There are many Luftwaffe pilots that I know of that gat the RK, with 10 or so victories. Tettelbach could have recieved his because of his command capabilities. Many RKT's were recieved for that purpose.

Looking forward to these new sites when they get to working. Who is Karl Heinz Gansel?

Talk to you again tomorrow--your friend-Carl.

13. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Guten morgen, wie gehts ?

Carl, Karl-Heinz is the web-master of the two sites mentioned as well as the partner with Burkhard Otto for JG 300 and JG 302 web-sites.

As to Tettlebach, he was Kommodore of ZG 25 from October 43 to June of 1944 when the unit flying Bf 110's/Bf 410's was almost wiped out. But moderately successful against Allied bomber formations.
    I do not have a listing of him receiveing the Ritterkreuz while serving in this position, so he very well could of received the award as a pilot flying earlier missions with one of the ZG units over France, or Russia. He maybe listed in the ranks of bomber crew vets, which I have just about nothing....

:rolleyes:

Erich B. keep at it !

14. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Carl :

that should of read.........he was Kommodore of ZG 26 not 25.

E.

15. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Guten Tag Herr Erich!

I forgot to check my photo of him last night to see if he was wearing a Knights Cross. I have it noted to check tonight. I'm still very positive he is an RKT, but, if I am wrong-I will buy you a 6-pack of your favorite beer. Just tell me what your favorite brew is--just-in-case.

Thanks for the info on those names, I had asked because they sounded familiar.

Also, I still havent heard back from my friend Christian, but I did send him another email yesterday-to get some more info about Tettelbach. I just say that I can swear that he is an RKT man. Im so positive on that that I will even throw in a largew Chicken Fried Steak-to go with the 6 pk of brew.

16. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Carl :

Well if Tettlebach is not a RK träger then you are in Texas and I am in Oregon. We need to meet half way in Arizona......ugh ! This time of year ? I like anything in a Deutsche Bier........(laughing).
    I do believe that Tettlebach after his stint in ZG 26, went onto higher and better things. Is he alive, possibly ? Would love to get my hands on a complete bio of the amn as much as possible. If Christian can help this would be splendid.

beste Grüße

Erich ;)

17. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Dear Erich: That would'nt be so bad really-meeting in Arizona. I've been there a few times during the summer and the temps are hot, but they don't have much humidity, so I would burn-but not sweat.

German Bier-Hmmmmm......I can't remember the name of the Bier in the Green bottle with the white porceline top-do you? That stuff is pretty good and was about $10.00 for a 6-pk.

I would'nt buy Heinneken though-that tastes like a skunt wizzed in your mouth. If I could, I would get you some of that birch-very dark Bier that is brewed near Dingelsdorf. I never knew the name of it, but it was some powerful stuff.

I had one of those (which was more than enough) and I had one Shot of locally brewed Black Schnapps. Man, that stuff would pick you up off the chair as it is burning your innards out, and sucking the air out of your lungs, then it would toss you on the floor, pick you back up, and set you in the chair again--that stuff was strong! It was soooo strong, I don't remember what it tasted like!

If we did meet in Az, you wouls also have to try some of that Apache Indian made flat bread (like a very thick tortilla, but much better tasting) Warning though-stay away from Arizona made Mexican food-it all lacked-big time.

I don't know if Tettelbach still lives-I doubt it. Hopefully Christian will have the time to get back with me soon, I too would like more info on him. To date for me, Christian HAS been a workers of miracles, so hopefully soon..............

Grusse und choose (spelling?) I don't know how to spell that in German.

18. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I forgot to add :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

19. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Carl :

That Arizona flat bread sounds yummy.......

"Rülps", ugh, entschuldigung bitte !, just had a Scneider Weisse with lunch......

Forget Arizona, come on up here to southern Oregon and we can talk serious history in my office/library.
    Seriously though, if christian by chance comes across anything on K.B. Tettlebach, please e-mail me ASAP off list or whatever.

Take care, and see you on another of the forums......

Tschüß

Carl, do you know how to put umlauts on the computer ?

Erich B. :D :D :D

20. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Dear Erich: I did look at my photo lastnight of Tettelbach and he is a KC Recipient.

As of today, I still havent heard back from Christian, so only time will telllllllllll.

Sounds good to me, i've never been to Oregon but have been to the Earthquake State.

Carefull mit dem Schneider Weiss, tis sem powerful schtuff. Next time try some Cinnamon Schnapps instead.

Me know how to do something other than email and surf the net.--HA. Wish I did so I could hilfe you. I vill be back hier on the morrow.