Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Anyone interested in some intellectual exercise?

Discussion in 'War in the Pacific' started by USMCPrice, Jan 22, 2012.

1. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

is that mostly a 'map' game?

2. Bundesluftwaffe

Bundesluftwaffe New Member

3. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

4. steverodgers801

steverodgers801 Member

vast game, each turn is one actual day, it has every ship available.

5. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Glad to see renewed interest.

6. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

My previous comment that I thought I'd worked all the bugs out was premature. I've now run the sim through the first six months and corrected all issues that had cropped up. Some of the issues I was trying to work around, but they were corrected by a recent massive update to the game.

I'm now ready to start for real, with whomever still remains that is interested. Any new members that would like to participate, just let me know, and in what capacity they would choose to serve. They can fill any Imperial Japanese, Japanese ally, diplomatic or military position not currently occupied. Anyone wanting to fill any Allied diplomatic position or General Staff type position let me know this also. My actual Allied military theater commanders are still in place and ready to do their duty within the directions of their national political and military leaders.
    With that said, I will now post my first post of the started game.

7. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Office of Bureau for Naval Construction, IIMC
    03 October 1941

Naval Build

Continue
    I-25, I-10, I-26, DD-Y105 Yugumo, I-28, CVE-06 Kaiyo, I-27, DD-Y106 Makigumo, DD-Y107 Kazegumo, DD-Y108 Naganami, CV(A)-08 Junyo, DD-A140 Akizuki, DD-A141 Teruzuki, DD-A142 Suzutsuki, DD-A143, Hatsuzuki, CV-10 Taiho, BB-12 Musashi. (We will at present still leave BB-Shinano's build suspended, but intend to resume building as a battleship once additional Naval shipyard capacity is freed up or constructed).
    Accelerate
    CVL-04 Shoho, BB-11 Yamato, CS-04 Nisshin,
    Lay Down
    DMS-1920, SC-24, SC-26, SC-25, PC-124
    Postpone/Suspend
    I-29, I-30, I-32, I-11, I-31, I-33
    Planning
    -Expedite planning for modified Hiryu class CV Unryu;
    -Expedite planning/design for Etorofu class Kaibokan, focus on ease and rapidity of construction;
    -Expedite planning/design for new modified Shokaku class. Focus on simplification to ease and increase rapidity of construction. (Tahio is a modified Shokaku, but our new focus will incorporate design advances achieved during planning for Tahio, but focus more upon simplifications and manufacturing techniques that will shorten build times and save materials. One of these practices will be to have specific shipyards focus on specific ship classes vs the present method of spreading the class across several shipyards. The Imperial Industrial Management Council (IIMC) will allocate ships and facility/workforce expansions based upon optimization of production).

Merchant Build

Complete
    AMc CMS-19 (scheduled to complete tomorrow), xAK Ishikari Maru, AMC Kiyosumi Maru, AMC Akagi Maru, xAK Toko Maru
    Accelerate
    AS Heian Maru, AV-08 Akitsushima,
    Build
    TK-194 Okigawa Maru(Accelerate), TK-195 Akane Maru (Accelerate), TK-196 Ayazono Maru(Accelerate), TK-197 Manei Maru(Accelerate). Lay down 1st four AKA
    Types based upon modified Yusen S hull. Laydown 1st four APA based upon modified Yusen S Hull. Start two Type N TL fast tankers.
    Convert
    LSD-02 Akitsu Maru(Accelerated)
    Postpone
    xAK-Nisshun Maru, xAKL-Uragami Maru, xAK Shinetsu Maru.

Current Naval Shipyard Capacity 1414-used 1411;Merchant shipyard capacity 827-used 813. Both account for 6723 of our Heavy Industrial output (NSY-4242/MSY 2481=6723). Our current Heavy Industrial output is 13920 per day so our shipbuilding at present utilizes 48% of our Heavy Industrial output. Our daily excess production is 2345 or approximately 17%. It is our suggestion that we expand our naval shipyards, we feel we can operate with a 10% HI buffer for the near term, a preliminary proposal to be delivered to the Council for debate and approval tomorrow 04 October 1941.

Respectfully,

8. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Office of Aviation Procurement, IIMC
    03 Oct 1941

We propose a streamlined, centralized procurement Bureau to eliminate duplication of effort between Army and Naval Aviation services. We intend to standardize on certain aircraft types as most capable and adopt them across both services. We intend to fully fund development and research on both airframes and engines, we will not implement another layer of bureaucracy to the research and development process. We intend to give free reign to each of our manufacturers and allow their designers to follow their visions. We will have representatives at each facility and they will report weekly on the research taking place and we will disseminate the information to all manufacturers so that they may make use of the latest innovations and breakthroughs and avoid making the same mistakes or following the same dead ends.
    We further intend to expand our production by building and using smaller, dispersed facilities. We feel, that while dispersal will cost us a small measure of efficiency when compared to our major manufacturing facilities, they will make up for this loss in several ways. 1.) Makes our aviation industry less vulnerable to damage from enemy aerial attack and natural disasters. 2.) Will allow us to switch production over to newer and better aircraft and engines without major disruption to our output, and allow for greater flexibility. We can swap some, all or a percentage over to newer type as required. It will also allow us to utilize a new concept in training aviation support personnel.
    For training military aviation support personnel we propose the following system. Personnel will be recruited from the area surrounding a small factory. Basic military instruction will be conducted by military units stationed in said area. Each class will be split into two parts, with one part taking military subjects and physical conditioning in the morning, the other in the afternoon. While one section is undergoing it's military training the other will be training and working in the local factory, then they will switch. In this manner an individual can learn their basic military subjects, provide additional production personnel and be familiarized with their mechanical subject at the same time. If an individual washes out of the training we can transfer them to the local reserves/militia and still have a trained factory worker and basically trained soldier/sailor. Once they complete this initial phase they can be transferred to one of our centralized training facilities where any inconsistencies in their military training can be corrected and they can undertake advanced MOS training with a strong knowledge base already in place.

If it meets with your approval we will provide a basic production plan tomorrow for your approval.

Respectfully,

9. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

War Plans Division
    Imperial General Staff
    03 Oct 1941

To facilitate our immediate and long term planning, it is our opinion that the following infrastructure improvements be started immediately and the requisite funding, personnel and supplies be allocated.

1) Bangkok-improve and expand airfield and associated facilities. (1)
    2) Cam Rahn Bay-improve and expand airfield, port and associated facilities.
    3) Canton-improve and expand airfield and associated facilities. Improve defensive fortifications.
    4) Harbin-improve and expand airfield and associated facilities.
    5) Mukden-improve and expand airfield and associated facilities.
    6) Nanking-improve and expand airfield and associated facilities.
    7) Port Arthur-improve and expand airfield and associated facilities.
    8) Saigon-improve and expand airfield and associated facilities.
    9) Shanghai-improve and expand airfield and associated facilities. Improve defensive fortifications.
    10) Shikuka-improve and expand airfield, port and associated facilities.
    11) Tientsin-improve and expand airfield and associated facilities.
    12) Tsingtao-improve and expand airfield, port and associated facilities. (2)

(1) Secretary of State will need to assign diplomatic personnel to obtain cooperation from Thai Field Marshal Plaek Phibunsongkhram, commonly called Phibun, for the improvement of military facilities in Thailand, starting with Bangkok. We will require the use of these facilities for our operations against the United Kingdom once war begins. Once, war is initiated we need for Thailand to assume a neutral stance with regards to the United States and France. We should offer areas in Burma to Thailand as recompense for this aid. Give them all territory east of the Salween River to include those areas of Burma north of the Malayan border and west to the Indian Ocean. This should give them the ports of Moulmein, Tavoy, and Mergui. We will retain Victoria Point as part of Malaysia.
    Pridi Banomyong is the most influential Thai political figure and we need to co-opt him once war begins. We would suggest that upon outbreak of war that we form a governing body for newly liberated territories, we shall call it OSEAS, Organization of South East Asian States. Neutral Thailand will be the seat of this organization. Banomyong should be appointed to head this organization and be tasked with setting up governments in countries liberated from western colonial occupation. He would be tasked with coordinating with local leaders and persons from other member nations to set up functioning governments to replace the former colonial ones. If the United States does not immediately declare war after our attacks against British and Dutch holdings, we should offer them an advisory seat upon the council and full member status to the Philippines. By occupying Banomyong thusly we can redirect his focus externally to Thailand and reduce the possibility of significant internal unrest/resistance in Thailand. By making the OSEAS independant of our direct control we can minimize resistance to our operations by the United States and give the appearance of being liberators to the indigenous populations.

[​IMG]

Field Marshal Plaek Phibunsongkhram

[​IMG]

Pridi Banomyong

(2) Tsingtao sould be expanded as our major base of operations in the northern areas of China. From a report by our War Plans survey teams:

"Tsingtao (Qīngdǎo; 120.318E 36.077N) is a superb natural port at the base of the Shantung Peninsula of China. In 1898, the Germans had pressured the Chinese into granting a 99-year lease on an area of about 190 square miles (500 km2) around the port, and by 1914 the city had a thoroughly German character (complete with thousands of imported German pines and oaks) and a modern harbor with a large floating dry dock. The base was seized by Japan during the First World War, when Japan was a British ally, and the leased territory reverted to China in December 1922. However, the failure of the Allies to hand Tsingtao back to China immediately led the Chinese government to reject the Versailles Treaty and provoked demonstrations throughout China.
    By 1937 the population had grown to about 600,000 persons and cotton and tobacco were produced in the hinterland. There was an airfield nearby.
    The city was deliberately burned by the retreating Kuomintang on 31 December 1937, as part of a scorched earth policy. It was occupied by Japanese naval forces in mid-January 1938, which advanced along the railroad to link up with 10 Division at Tsinan."

We would further suggest that the city be rebuilt with it's German character. We should approach Germany about identifying Jewish persons with medical, educational, intellectual, industrial backgrounds and usefull trade skills, from Germany, France, Belgium, France, Poland and other occupied countries, along with their immediate families for resettlement in Tsingtao. We will offer employment in their area of specialty, equal treatment and religious freedom for their assistance in building a functioning China.

Truk-Our operations in the south and southwest pacific will require an advanced base. We propose to improve aviation, and port facilities on Truk Atoll in the Carolines. We also propose building fuel storage and dry dock/naval repair facilities. This project requires our immediate action.

Respectfully,

10. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

War Plans Division
    Imperial General Staff
    03 Oct 1941-Addendum A

Not mentioned in our previous briefing is the desire of the Imperial Industrial Management Council (IIMC), that we begin building additional crude oil storage facilities near our existing refinery locations. At present a significant percentage of our oil stockpile is stored in other areas. The IIMC requests we immediately begin shipping this oil to dispersed locations near where it will be refined, as quickly as storage facilities can be built. War Plans would be responsible for managing this construction and we request approval to delegate the personnel and material required.

Refinery locations, listed by capacity, largest to smallest:
    Tokyo
    Osaka/Kyoto
    Shimonoseki
    Yokohama/Yokosuka
    Port Arthur
    Wakayama
    Niigata
    Akita
    Yamagata
    Iwaki
    Fukuoka
    Tokayama

11. Carronade

Carronade Ace

Well, you've certainly done your homework, Bobimoto-san, very impressive <bows> Most of these last few posts is beyond my expertise, but I would offer a comment on the naval program. We had discussed the merits of the Hiryu/Unryu and Shokaku type aircraft carriers, and I thought the intent was to settle on one type for series production. This would ease the task of our designers and would likely be more economical for construction and production of components as well. My preference was for the Hiryu, with all three elevators retained, while Noka-san made a case for the Shokaku. Is there any particular benefit to building some of each?

One key metric would be industrial effort per aircraft carried. If we measure ship construction capacity by tons as in #2836, that would appear to slightly favor the Hiryu/Unryu.

12. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Thank you for your kind words Admiral. At present, until we clear a few slips or increase capacity, we cannot lay down any additional carriers. I must admit the long build time for the Taiho made it hard not to scrap her, but we are nearly four months into her build. We have put forward the present proposal in order to give the council options when we do have the capacity to start another carrier. As you stated, we had opinions in each camp, some favoring an upgraded Hiryu, some a further improved Shokaku. Planning for the follow on Hiryu's, tenatively named Unryu class, is completed, we suggest further refinement to examine newer methods and techniques to even further speed construction, to look at different propulsion options, and of course, adding a third elevator, like in the Hiryu's as you have requested.
    The Shokaku's carry a larger airgroup and should be more surviveable to an enemy attack, the additional build time may or may not offset these advantages. We simply wish to re-evaluate the design based upon advances in modular construction, design simplification, welding, etc. When the time approaches that we can lay down our next generation aircraft carrier, we will have the data available to present to yourself and the other Naval advisors, in order to choose the correct course based upon things we learn operationally once war starts. We are also looking into the US practice of using deck parks to increase the capacity of our carriers and have personnel looking into the matter to determine doctrinal changes that would be necessary if we adopt this practice.

Based upon current aircraft capacities the improved Hiryu's would have a ratio of 270.3125 long tons per aircraft vs 355.9027 long tons per aircraft (both based upon standard displacement). So the improved Hiryu is definately the more economical, however they also carry 11% fewer aircraft.

We just want to have the opportunity to implement the council's decision immediately whichever course it takes.

Respectfully,

13. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Commander in Chief
    Japanese Expeditionary Forces China-JEF China
    03 October 1941

Gentlemen,

We have a number of issues currently in China that we need to resolve, prior to initiating hostilities with the western powers and to place ourselves in a position of strength before dissolving the present Chinese government and reforming it as the Republic of China.

We have currently divided occupied China into three operational areas, the Army of North China area extends from the Yellow or Huang River north, Army of Central China consists of the area between the Yangtzee and Huang Rivers, and the Army of South China extends south from the Yangtzee to the border of French Indochina.

Let us start with the Army of South China.

Situation-The area around Canton is heavily occupied by opposition Chinese Forces, that in our opinion need to be eliminated prior to onset of war with Britain. Canton is located NNW of Hong Kong and we do not need Chinese to our flanks and rear when the time comes to seize that British possession. There are also significant enemy forces further to our west facing Lang Son in French Indochina. To the east northeast of Canton is the 63d Chinese Corps, part of the 12th Army Group. Located further east and supporting the 63d ChiCorps is the 65th Chinese Corps, also part of 12th Army Group. The 11th Chinese Base Force, 12th Army Group and 7th War Area Army HQ are located at Kukong.
    To the southwest of Canton is located the 2d Chinese Provisional Corps, 16th Army Group. To the north west is located the 62d Chinese Corps also 16th Army Group. The 13th Chinese Base Force and 16th Army Group are located at Wuchow.
    Further to the west facing Lang Song are the 52d Chinese Corps, 35th Army Group and to their south the 64th Chinese Corps, 35th Army Group, located on the coast near Pakhoi. Supporting them are the 9th Chinese Base Force and 35th Army Group located at Nanning. There is also the independant French Port of Kwangchowan, we fear seizure of this port by opposition Chinese or the Free French supported by British Forces come outbreak of war. At present the Vichy Government in Indochina is too weak to assue it's security.
    Mission- Utilizing forces placed in the area prior to General Nishio's unavailability, we propose to attack and defeat each of these forces in turn, freeing the territory cleared from opposition control, emplacing security and stability forces, and securing a buffer zone for eventual operations against British controlled Hong Kong. We intend to seize by amphibious landing the port of Kwangchowan and hold it for and in the name of Vichy France until local security forces can be raised and trained. To isolate or capture the port of Pakhoi. If conditions prove favorable we will either seize or isolate the enemy held cities of Nanning and Wuchow and to place the major objective of Liuchow under seige. Increased naval activity in and around the area to include the Island of Hainan and Formosa and to and from Cam Rahn Bay will hide our pre-positioning and movements in preparation for our attack on Britain, appearing to be simply supporting operations for this major offensive.
    If given preliminary approval we will provide information on our proposed execution, and administrative information on HQ's and units to be involved and logistical requirements necessary to support the operation.

Respectfully,

14. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Good Morning Gentlemen,

Today is Saturday, 04 October, 1941.

We will start by giving yesterdays combat report:

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Oct 03, 41
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Morning Air attack on 62nd Chinese Corps, at 77,58

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 5,000 feet.
    Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Japanese aircraft
    Ki-27B Nate x 6
    Ki-48-IB (UA) Lily x 13

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
    153 casualties reported
    Squads: 0 destroyed, 9 disabled
    Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 9 disabled
    Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Aircraft Attacking:
    6 x Ki-48-IB (UA) Lily bombing and strafing from low level
    Ground Attack: 4 x 220lb GP Bomb, 8 x 33lb GP Bomb
    7 x Ki-48-IB (UA) Lily bombing and strafing from low level

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Morning Air attack on 62nd Chinese Corps, at 77,58

Raid spotted at 16 NM, estimated altitude 4,000 feet.
    Estimated time to target is 4 minutes

Japanese aircraft
    Ki-48-IB (UA) Lily x 10

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
    116 casualties reported
    Squads: 1 destroyed, 5 disabled
    Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 6 disabled
    Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Aircraft Attacking:
    10 x Ki-48-IB (UA) Lily bombing and strafing from low level

Morning Air attack on 63rd Chinese Corps, at 79,58

Raid spotted at 17 NM, estimated altitude 2,000 feet.
    Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Japanese aircraft
    Ki-27B Nate x 3
    Ki-48-IB (UA) Lily x 35

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
    44 casualties reported
    Squads: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
    Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

Aircraft Attacking:
    16 x Ki-48-IB (UA) Lily bombing and strafing from low level
    19 x Ki-48-IB (UA) Lily bombing and strafing from low level

Morning Air attack on 10th Anking Regiment, at 88,52 (Anking)

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid spotted at 12 NM, estimated altitude 18,000 feet.
    Estimated time to target is 3 minutes

Allied aircraft
    SB-III x 6

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
    7 casualties reported
    Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
    Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Aircraft Attacking:
    3 x SB-III bombing from 15000 feet *
    Ground Attack: 3 x 220lb GP Bomb
    3 x SB-III bombing from 15000 feet *
    Ground Attack: 3 x 220lb GP Bomb

Afternoon Air attack on 1st RoC ReserveArmy Corps, at 91,52 (Nanking)

Weather in hex: Moderate rain

Raid spotted at 18 NM, estimated altitude 19,000 feet.
    Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Allied aircraft
    DB-3M x 2

No Allied losses

Aircraft Attacking:
    2 x DB-3M bombing from 15000 feet *
    Ground Attack: 5 x 220lb GP Bomb

The following is our Operational Report for 03 October:

OPERATIONAL REPORT FOR Oct 03, 41

CS Convoy TF 7 will load Supplies at Fukuoka for return to Fusan
    Ki-15-II Babs takes recon photos of vicinity 7659
    Ki-15-II Babs takes recon photos of Aparri
    E7K2 Alf reports periscope wake at 86, 60 near Foochow
    Ki-15-II Babs takes recon photos of Laoag
    Ki-15-II Babs takes recon photos of Laoag
    Ki-48-IB (UA) Lily from 205th BmbAttk Grp is damaged on landing
    VNUSS-I-9 moved ashore from I-9 at Fukuoka
    Delayed planes for the aircraft pool:
    1 (3) x A5M4 Claude
    8th Recon Hikotai converting to size 24 from 18
    10th Recon Hikotai converting to size 24 from 18
    JVNUFlt-23 converting to size 24 from 12
    Hakodate NavSuppDet Base Force's TOE was upgraded to L2 Naval Support Base Force at Hakodate
    Muroran NavSuppDet Base Force's TOE was upgraded to L2 Naval Support Base Force at Muroran
    Fusan Naval Base Force's TOE was upgraded to L2 Naval Support Base Force at Fusan
    AMc CMS 19 arrives at Tokyo
    Naval Log Cmd-SRA arrives at Cam Ranh Bay
    Naval Log Cmd-N arrives at Ominato
    Taihoku Naval Base Force arrives at Taihoku
    142d ArmyAvMaint Co arrives at Nanking
    143d ArmyAvMaint Co arrives at Wuchang
    144th ArmyAvMaint Co arrives at Anking
    145th ArmyAvMaint Co arrives at Nanchang
    146th ArmyAvMaint Co arrives at Hankow
    147th NavyAvMaint Co arrives at Foochow

Additionally we have intelligence reports of increased Chinese opposition force activity in the vicinity of Ichang and Sinyang, both located in the Army of Central China AO, plus reports from ground patrols of increased activity in the area of Pengpu and sw of Hangchow. The Army of North China reports prisoners taken and increased activity in the vicinity of Kweiteh along the main rail line.

In the absence of conflicting orders, AoSC will initiate the proposed offensive operations partially briefed to the council yesterday. Further AoNC will send cavalry units to the Yellow River near the point that the rail line between Pengpu and Suchow crosses it. They will actively patrol this point and areas to the east and west in order to prevent suspected Chinese forces operating in the vicinity of Pengpu from infiltrating into the AoNC area of operations (AO). AoNC will also send infantry and armored units along the MSR/rail line from Haichow through Suchow to Kweiteh to insure the MSR is clear in case of enemy operations against our forward most forces at the latter location. Additional supply and munitions shipments will be made to the port of Haichow in order to stockpile for potential increased combat operations.

15. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

War Plans Division
    Imperial General Staff
    04 Oct 1941

In addition to the improvements outlined on 03 October, operational requirements in support of NLC (Naval Logistics Command) require that we expand port facilities at Muroran, Hakodate, Fusan Korea, and Kagoshima to facilitate the movement of supplies and fuel for military operations, and industrial requirements for fuel, oil and raw materials.

16. Takao

Takao Ace

You need to be careful with retaining the 3 elevators. The Japanese switched to just 2 elevators(fore and aft) for a reason. Having a huge gaping hole in the middle of a strength deck seriously weakens the resiliency of the strength deck. The Americans also did away with the 3 centerline elevators, although, they compensated with the deck-edge elevator amidships on the Essex class. However, since the Japanese decided to stay with the "enclosed hangar deck", they did not have the option of using a deck-edge elevator.

In the short run...Yes, the improved Hiryus are more economical. However, in the long run, the equality of the two will be roughly equal. As the newer large aircraft will reduce the number carried - Unryu's aircraft compliment was to be 3 C6N Saiun, 27 A6M Zero, 9 B6N Tenzan, and 9 D4Y Suisei, for a total of 48 aircraft. This would be 364.1666 long tons per aircraft. The Zuikaku carried 70 aircraft at the Battle of the Philippine Sea which would give her 366.7857 long tons per aircraft.

Side Note - In the previous Shokaku/Hiryu computations...Did this take into account the spare aircraft that were carried? This would slightly shift the difference in long tons per aircraft, from 86 long tons to about 70 long tons in favor of Hiryu.

Further, on the basis of these numbers, the Unryu is carrying 22 less aircraft than the Shokaku/Zuikaku. So, you will need 3 Unryus to carry the same aircraft compliment as 2 Shokakus. Then, you also have to consider the fact that the Unryu class had about 2,000 nautical miles less range at 18 knots.

So, in the long term, the decision on the Unryu as opposed to the Shokaku becomes decidedly less clear.

17. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Very good points about the long term capabilities of the two types Admiral Takao. The issue with the third elevator and hull strength I do not remember being raised before.
    The wisdom of our planning staff continuing with research and design into both types has been validated. The final decision on the path we will take when the time comes will rest with you naval officers.

18. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

04 October 1941

Naval Ship Yards (NSY)

Below is a listing of our NSY capacity, by location, in tonnage that we can have under construction at any one time in thousands of tons: We propose that the following actions be taken, (-) equals no change, ># equals an expansion followed by daily tonnage capacity increase, =# indicates the total daily capacity we will possess once expansion is completed.

Nagasaki/Sasebo 400 (-)
    Osaka/Kyoto 235 >15=250
    Kobe 200 (-)
    Okayama 160 >15=175
    Hiroshima/Kure 134 >16=150
    Tokyo 97 >3=100
    Yokohama/Yokosuka 95 >5=100
    Fukuyama 24 >1=25
    Niigata 17 >8=25
    Toyama 7 >3=10
    Hakodate 6 >4=10
    Shimonseki 5 >5=10
    Kagoshima 4 >1=5

Currently we have the capacity to have 1384K tons of shipping under construction at any one time. Our proposed expansions will allow for an additional 76,000 tons, for a total of 1460K tons. So for instance, at Kagoshima, we can currently have 4,000 tons of shipping under construction at any one time. We want to expand it by 1000 tons to 5,000 tons. We feel our heavy industry and manpower resources can currently support this size expansion of our NSY capacity. We do not recommend expansion of heavy industry until we have seized additional critical resources, which we plan to accomplish near the end of November. These expansions to our smaller yards will be critical once we begin clearing building ways/slips and begin our planned build of escort types. Let's take Kagoshima as an example again, with the expansion we could have 5 1000 ton escort vessels building instead of four based upon current capacity.

We would also like to begin a survey to examine possible conversion/construction of shipbuilding facilities in the following locations. Our intent is to provide jobs and economic development in these areas. To train and employ local manpower in the manufacturing process. To build naval capabilities with the attendant increase in national pride that comes with having a navy. To reduce the strain on our own manpower for supplying trained seamen for manning all required vessels. To reduce the logistical requirements of transporting all materials to the Home Islands by having the manufacturing closer to the source of the raw materials. And finally to give the appearance to our western adversaries that we have strong capable allies. We intend to build escort vessels in these areas, with nothing larger than light cruisers to serve as flag ships. These vessels will be optimized for the AA/ASW role and will have much more limited offensive capabilities than the fleet type escort we build for the IJN. It will be beneficial to have these allied naval forces to escort our merchant shipping to and from their respective countries.

Can Rahn Bay
    Tsingtao
    Shanghai
    Canton

19. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Commanding General-Army of South China-JEF China
    04 October 1941
    Canton China

We have ordered 10th and 15th Corps to begin clearing operations in the vicinity of Canton. These actions will be in coordination with offensive operations from Lang Son, French Indochina, by the Army of Indochina's 40th Corps. All areas cleared will be occupied and patrolled by our newly raised SASO units (Stability and Security Operations). They will establish FOB's (Forward Operating Bases) in each cleared area and aggressively patrol to prevent re-infiltration by hostile forces. They will provide security to the local populace and conduct construction and medical assistance programs to build good will with the local populace. We request that joint Japanese/Chinese civilian economic development teams be raised to support our military efforts.

20. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

04 October 1941

Addendum A
    Merchant Ship Yards (MSY)

I was going over some our previous discussions and came across a point that Admiral Takao had made some time ago concerning Merchant Shipyards building naval vessels. "You also have the civilian Mitsubishi Yards at Nagasaki that built the Musashi,..."
    There are some naval vessels building in our merchant yards, to include some of the vessels we listed earlier. There is some cross tasking, and we do have the capability of converting NSY->MSY and MSY->NSY production. However, in the interests of providing all essential information to our nations decision makers I was remiss in not giving a breakdown of our MSY capacity. I did not do so because the IIMC does not presently have plans for expansion in this area, feeling our current capacity sufficient to meet our near term needs.

Merchant shipyards by location and capacity in thousands of tons:

Nagasaki/Sasebo-233
    Okayama-160
    Kobe-75
    Tokyo-70
    Hiroshima/Kure-50
    Osaka/Kyoto-40
    Yokohama/Yokosuka-32
    Kagoshima-25
    Fukuoka-25
    Nagoya-11
    Hakodate-8
    Nago-5
    Naha (Okinawa)-5
    Takamatsu-5
    Shimonoseki-3
    Fukuyama-2
    Sendai-2

We also have yards located outside the Home Islands that we control and can utilize:

Shanghai China-30
    Wuchang China-10
    Fusan Korea-10
    Port Arthur, Manchukuo-6

802K ton capacity

Survey the following location for construction/conversion of MSY's

Cam Rahn Bay, French Indochina
    Tsingtao China