Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Anyone know and info on......

Discussion in 'Living History' started by C.Evans, Jan 13, 2002.

1. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

the Canadian soldiers who made up half of the 1st Special Services Brigade?? Please let me know.

2. buntingj

buntingj recruit

The Canadian Army asked for volunteers for First Special Service Force who had specific experience in the north, as trappers, miners, or guides, or who had lived in the North and were able to ski, snowshoe and live off the land. They came from the ranks of several Canadian Army batallions, as well as other units. The unit was equipped with US weapons and uniforms, and trained at Helena, Montana, and then at Fort Benning for jump training. FSSF never jumped into battle, nor did they fight on skiis, but they did have a good rep as leg infantry in Italy's mountains and valleys. PS I have more info on this unit if you would like to ask other questions. Jim Bunting.

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Jim: many thank yous for this info. I will get back to you on more specifics as soon as I have more time. BTW--you wouldnt happen to know any Canadian vets from that unit.....would you??? :D :D I would love to get in touch with a few.

PS, welcome aboard...... [​IMG]

4. Smoke286

Smoke286 Member

Carl I will have to check my sources again to be sure, but I believe some members of the 1st Can Para Batt participated in US parachute training(at the same time that others were training in England) as part of a pilot program. It is my understanding that instead of returning to the Batt, which had gone overseas to train with the British Paras, these men were assigned to join the 1st Special Service Force
    BTW I may be wrong, but I don't believe it was a Brigade, I dont think the US Table of Organization included Brigades at that time.

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Many thanks for this additional info my friend. Also not to disagree, but, the US military TO did have many Brigades--and more than I too had thought. For instance--most Brigades were Armored Brigades, such as some used in the Battle of the Bulge. Chreiton Abrams led one that was part of Pattons Army into Bastogne. The Army also had Cavalry Brigades (Mot) and Para Brigades--but I just dont know much on them myself.

Now here is a real shocker--at least to me. Did you know that the American military had and used more Brigades than the German military? I recently read that somewhere (I think I also read about it in a new book I have that was writtten by a German soldier) and I heard it discussed on a radio program-of all places. [​IMG]

Go figure ;)

[ 24 May 2002, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: C.Evans ]