Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Anyone that can explain these discharge papers?

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by chevyguy85, Nov 27, 2008.

1. chevyguy85

chevyguy85 recruit

I am 23 years old and living in Ohio now. These are my grandfather's discharge papers, he has been dead for about 12 years. I inherited them and wouldn't trade them for anything in the world.. Even my brand new bushmaster ar15. These are the originals and due to age they are kind of hard to read. The reason I am so interested is because of how little I know about my grandfather, he died when I was just turning 11, too young to really get to know a person. He never smiled much, he always had a stone cold look on his face. blacked out certain information that I don't want the entire world to know, but other than that, can anyone explain what he did in the Army or his medals? I have heard many different things and too many to really get a solid closure on what the papers that I hold mean.

[​IMG]

2. Army Man

Army Man Member

Hey - thanks for sharing this!

Off-hand, I can see that he was a Staff Sergeant (he was a Rifleman - so that's Infantry) with Co I 152d Inf 38th Div (thats Corps I, 152d Infantry, 38th Division), and served in the Pacific theater, specifically in the Southern Philippines, Luzon, and New Guinea.

Just knowing that, I can see that he saw a lot of action - but looking at his decorations:

Philippine Liberation Ribbon with 3 Bronze Stars - This was awarded to personnel for service within the Asiatic-Pacific Theater between 7 December 1941 and 2 March 1946. The bronze stars indicated that he participated in specific campaigns. Again, the bronze star was for a specific campaign.

American Theater Ribbon - This
    was awarded to personnel for service within the American Theater between 7 December 1941 and 2 March 194. I believe that every American serving during this time received this.

Purple Heart - awarded in the name of the President to those who have been wounded or killed while serving on or after 5 April 1917 with the U.S. military. He received this for being wounded in Luzon.

Silver Star - This is the third highest military decoration that can be awarded to a member of any branch of the United States Armed Forces. It is also the third highest award given for valor (in the face of the enemy).

WW II Victory Medal - This was awarded to all military personnel for service between 7 December 1941 and 31 December 1946.

Combat Infantryman's Badge - Presented to those officers, warrant officers and enlisted soldiers, in the grade of Colonel and below, who participate in active ground combat while assigned as a member of an infantry or special forces unit, brigade or smaller size, during any period subsequent to December 6, 1941.

He was honorably discharged due to demobilization by convenience of the Government.

You should be very, very proud of him - and it sounds like you are.

3. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member Patron   WW2|ORG Editor

It is good you are keeping those papers. When my wife's grandfather died, they were going to throw all that stuff away. I rescued it from the garbage pile. In it was letters from his children and the telegram he sent home telling the family he was coming home. I was appalled. I collected it all and have it stored safely.

If you read up on the actions of the 38th Infantry Division, 152nd Infantry Regiment specificially, you can find a good bit about what he may have been involved in. ArmyMan gave your good rundown of his discharge papers.

Maybe this can get you started:

38th infantry division - Google Search

Fact Sheet of the 38th Infantry Division

38th Infantry Division - Unit Pages

38th Infantry Division (United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

formerjughead likes this.
  4. Debbie G

Debbie G New Member

Thank you! This was very helpful information for deciphering my father's honorable discharge. He served in Company L, 151st Infantry, 38th Division in Luzon. My brother bought him this wonderful book that details the battles and movements and the soldier experiences during 1945. It has full-page photographs (about 150?) and also a roster of soldiers. My father has passed on. He would never talk about the war so this book helps me understand what he went through. I'm also very fortunate to have the letters he wrote home to his beloved mother.
    https://www.amazon.com/38th-Infantry-Division-Avengers-Bataan/dp/B000XSCSHM

TD-Tommy776 likes this.
  5. Buten42

Buten42 Member Patron  

Being a staff sergeant in a rifle company with his MOS (military occupation specialty) 745, he most likely served as an infantry platoon sergeant.
    Besides his Silver Star, he is also entitled to a Bronze Star Medal for having the Combat Infantry Badge. If you haven't requested a replacement set of medals and awards from NARA you might consider doing this. There may be some that aren't listed on his separation paper.

6. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member Patron  

It sure would be nice if you could post his discharge. Maybe we could tell you more if we saw it.