Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Are there any good Viet Nam forums ?

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by TA152, Jan 17, 2003.

1. TA152

TA152 Ace

Can any of you recommend a good Viet Nam war forum that has some pilots on it ?
    Or perhaps one of you has the answer. I used to live near Bergstrom AFB and they had RF-4C's and during the war their engines used to smoke really bad. All you had to do is follow the smoke trail to find them. After the war the engines quit smoking and they were hard to see in the sky, even though you could hear them.
    I always wondered why they bothered camouflaging the aircraft when all you needed to do was follow the smoke trail and shoot them down.

2. Panzerknacker

Panzerknacker New Member

Look up ' Major Robert Mikesh ' on a Yahoo! Search. He was a FAC (Forward Air Controller) in Vietnam, who on 13 October, 1967, was awarded a DFC for holding off Vietcong positions with smoke rockets.
    That may produce something for you TA152, other than that, the Vietnam War is very overlooked when it comes to this sort of thing...

3. Panzerknacker

Panzerknacker New Member

Look up Major Robert Mikesh on a Yahoo! search topic and that may bring up some good finds. He was a FAC (Forward Air Controller), who on 13 October, 1967 held off Vietcong positions from a US Marine squad using smoke rockets, and was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross.

Hope this helps TA152, However, I think we both know that the Vietnam War is more-than-somewhat overlooked when it comes to this sort of thing...