Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Are There Robots

Discussion in 'Counter-Battery Fire' started by Poppy, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Looking at the "new content/ members", and a lot of the names do not look human or make any sense. They will sign up but not post. ..Are there robots or something that sign up to sites in order to? What? ...Or are there that many people who sign up daily, don't post, just in order to access areas available only to members?

Slow news day.

2. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

There are many robots.
    Some are good robots, some are bad robots, and some are humans who have run through so many usernames in their spamquest that they are now called pxstyf$gg or similar.

They nearly all register to spread spam.
    There're many kits to walk straight through captcha & recaptcha, and even the human verification questions can be learnt or bypassed.

Thankfully, this software uses a list based spam killer, where emails, ips, names etc. are correlated against a live, constantly updated, blacklist, and the spammer binned before full registration,
    Many will stay visible as on the forum, but are in a kind of limbo - getting nowhere. They're not deleted because keeping the username forces the spammers to find a new unique name to register under, and keeps a record of suspicious IPs etc. locally.

3. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

poopy, You really need to read Tom Clancey's "Threat Vector". It's aboot the nasty Chinese taking over all our interwebs and even highjacking our UAV's. I would have finish it today but I spent the whole afternoon watching, and sometimes helping, Norton/Symantec as they took control of my computer and did some awful stuff with it. It only took me three hours to find a land line number to get a hold of them.

Poppy, I Meant Poppy !

4. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Pa is a big fan of TC. Me, not so much. A bit too wordy, not enough pictures.

Did you really let them into ur computer superB? ...Can we expect naked Biak pictures to hit the nets soon? Stretched out on a bearskin rug, cowboy boots and hat, rose petals and candles.

Thanks ViP.

5. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Is it possible some members may post under more than one name? ...Because I don't want anyone to know it's only me here. HAL, is my name. Don't wear it out.

6. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

The only picture of me naked and in cowboy boots is one of me standing in front of the log cabin where I spent the first 6 years of my life. An actual honest to God hand built log cabin the old man and Grandfather built with trees from the nearby woods. Oh, I wasn't quite 2 years old. Some things never change though, just have more control of the camera now.

7. boyne_water

boyne_water recruit

I am on the site most days,i use it to educate and entertain myself.
    I do not post because most people here have more knowledge than i have,.
    There are probably a few like me out there.

Otto likes this.
  8. lwd

lwd Ace

Please reconsider. Sometimes a question can be more important than the pontificating. I've seen inumerable threads where people asking what some might have considered "dumb" questions have resulted in insights and shared knowledge that simiply wouldn't have been there otherwise. On many of the boards I follow I'm a long way from an expert but I think I've managed to make some significant contributions none the less.

von Poop likes this.
  9. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper