Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Arisaka Type 38 Carbine Handguard

Discussion in 'Small Arms and Edged Weapons' started by George Patton, Feb 28, 2013.

1. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

I've come across a Arisaka Type 38 Carbine for a pretty good price. The rifle appears to be in decent shape, but its missing the magazine assembly (floor plate, leaf spring, follower) and the upper handguard. I can get the magazine assembly on eBay, but I'm not sure about the handguard. I've found a few people selling Type 38 rifle handguards. Does anyone happen to know if these will also fit on the Carbine? From photos, it looks like the handguards on the Type 38 carbines and rifles are identical, but I want to be sure.

Thanks everyone.

2. harolds

harolds Member

Does it have the chrysanthamum on top of the receiver?

3. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Numrich lists the Type 38 6.5 rifle and carbine handguards separately, with different product numbers. They're both sold out, but I'd assume since the product numbers are different, the actual parts differ in some way.

4. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

My guess is that a "saw" might make up whatever differences between the two; beings the only difference between the two appear to be length.

5. George Patton

Yes. Its been partially scrubbed ('over-stamped' with small circles along the edge of the mum), but is clearly visible. Certainty much better than most of the Arisakas I've seen for sale here. For the price, its good.

This fellow doesn't know what he is selling. He said that he thinks its a Type 38 Carbine, but after looking at the photos, it looks to be a 'normal' Type 38.

I think that the upper handguards are the exact same. Assuming that the barrel bands are the same distance apart on both the Type 38 rifle and carbine, the hand-guard is the same length.

For those interested, I bought it. For 100 bucks, its worth it, regardless of whether its a Type 38 carbine or rifle. With about eighty dollars extra in parts, it should be a nice piece.

6. harolds

harolds Member

Too bad about the Chrysamthymum, but if the bore is decent and you can find the replacement parts you should have a neat little historical shooter for about $200.

7. Old Schoolr

Old Schoolr Member

Someone here Surplusrifle Forum • View forum - Japanese & Far East Rifles may be able to help you w/ your question. Someone mentioned Numrich as a source of parts; I've bought thru them a few times & only had an issue w/ one item ( a Lee-Enfield pull thru) which they replaced but their site isn't always clear about whether you are buying reproduction parts or the real thing.

8. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

belasar likes this.
  9. George Patton

Thanks for the link. I found that earlier today, but it looks outdated and unmaintained. I sent the fellow an email and haven't heard anything back yet.

10. George Patton

An update for those interested:

I picked it up from the post office last night. Its a standard Type 38. Nagoya Arsenal, possibly 29th series (I can only see the vertical and horizontal lines in the series stamp clearly -- I have to have a closer look). The 'leaves' of the mum are stamped with 8 small circles (or 'zeroes') -- indicating that this was transferred out of Imperial Army service. Many Type 38s ended up at training schools and military academies, and I believe that some were also exported to Siam.

The wood is in excellent shape, with the exception of a few gouges near the action. The metal is in good condition, with the exception of some pitting where the top hand-guard used to be. The butt plate is worn, but appears original to the rifle. The bolt and dustcover match the rifle.

If I have some time tonight, I will post some photos of the markings. I would like to know about the significance of the cirlces stamped on the mum.