Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Army Examiner Stamp?

Discussion in 'Photographs and Documents' started by JoshArterburn, Aug 29, 2010.

1. JoshArterburn

JoshArterburn Member

I got a bunch of family pictures from my grandmother. Among them was a photo album with quite a few photos of my grandfather during the war. The majority of them are stamped on the back with an army examiner approval and a base number. I assume this means they were sent home in letters. My question is can the base number tell me where the pictures were taken?

The pictures are stamped with 4 different base numbers 1718, 1117, 1719, 1709, Most of them are 1117. I will post all the photos once I finish scanning them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(Right: Pfc Delbert Edmund Arterburn)
    [​IMG]

I also found one that is stamped Rejected on the back

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I'm guessing that the numbers related to the Mail examiners who censored what could and couldn't be forwarded. I came across this list of Examiner numbers. 1117 would be in New York. The others fall into the San Francisco group. Mail censorship during WWII You can check through the site to see if you can get further information.

JoshArterburn likes this.
  3. JoshArterburn

JoshArterburn Member

Oh ok so the number designates the examiner it went thru for inspection before arriving at its destination, Not the base where the picture was taken. I assume they where taken on the Aleutian Islands, Cause according to his obituary he was stationed there. I cant confirm that tho, Cause I learned his Records where destroyed in the 1973 fire. I'm currently waiting for a form to give more info, So they can attempt to compile a record from other sources.

4. LRusso216

Do you have any idea what unit he was in? Even a partial result can be of assistance in locating more.

5. JoshArterburn

JoshArterburn Member

No sadly I don't, I didn't even know these picture's existed till about a week ago. So I'm pretty much at a dead end, Till I get a response from Evetrecs about records from other sources.

6. LRusso216

I'm just guessing here, but if he was stationed in Attu, and his uniform only shows one battle star, I think he was in the 7th Division. See this Wiki article. 7th Infantry Division (United States) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Since the 7th went on to other battles in the Pacific, it's likely he was in the 159th Regiment, which remained on Attu.

The Hourglass Division first saw combat in WWII in the Aleutian Islands. On May 11, 1943, lead by the 17th Infantry Regiment, elements of the Division landed on Attu Island where Japanese forces were established. The 7th Infantry Division destroyed all Japanese resistance on the island by May 29th after defending against a suicidal "Bonzai" charge. Approximately 2,351 Japanese were killed, leaving only 28 to be taken prisoner. The 7th Infantry Division lost 600 soldiers killed in action. The 159th Infantry Regiment remained on Attu to secure the island and was replaced by the 184th Infantry Regiment. In August of 1943 the 7th Infantry landed on Kiska Island only to find that the Japanese forces there had secretly withdrawn. The Hourglass Division was then redeployed to the Hawaiian Islands for more training.
    .: History of the 7th Infantry Division | Bayonets :.

I guess we'll know how correct I am when you get the additional paperwork.

I just looked again at the picture in your avatar, and the right hand ribbon looks to be the Asian-Pacific Theater ribbon with one battle star.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Awards/asiatic_pacific_campaign.aspx

You can read the criteria, and check the campaigns that earned battle stars (in his case, the Aleutians).

7. JoshArterburn

JoshArterburn Member

thanks for the info

Your right about the Asiatic Pacific theater ribbon, It's listed in his obituary along with the Good conduct medal and Bronze Star.

8. JoshArterburn

JoshArterburn Member

I got lucky as hell, I found out my aunt had the original copy of his discharge papers. She's making me a copy, She also has my uncle's discharge papers he fought in Vietnam.

You where right about the 7th Infantry division, It was listed on the discharge along with 591st AAA Bn. Which I Googled and found out means 591st American Anti Aircraft Artillery Battalion, It said he was part of a crew that maned a 40mm gun he was the person who did the reloading. Once I get the copy I will scan and post it.

9. LRusso216

That's good news. I look forward to that post. Interestingly, my father was also in a AAA battalion in Italy in the ETO. He also manned a 40 mm gun, before he became an infantryman. That happened, he said, "because there were no more German planes to shoot down."

10. JoshArterburn

JoshArterburn Member

What a crazy coincidence, In all the time I have thought of my Grandfather service, I never imagined him being part of an anti aircraft battalion. I really regret not asking him about his time in the military.

11. Cortne Anway

Cortne Anway New Member

Hi I am looking for any info available. I am looking into my grandpa's records and I think they also may be lots to fire. He also I think served in the Aleutian Islands for army as electrician and radio tech. Some of the Pics I have also have a stamp on the back. See attached pic.

Attached Files:

12. Cortne Anway

Cortne Anway New Member

I also have lots of pics of planes and a radar tower but I just cannot place exactly where they are.

13. lwd

lwd Ace

PLS consider starting a thread and placing the pictures in it. Ask for help id'ing the location. Some here are very good at picking up details on such things.

14. Cortne Anway

Cortne Anway New Member

thank you I will!